Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hey there new australia traveler needing advice!

hey there new australia traveler needing advice!

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

mrshomersimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hey there new australia traveler needing advice!

hi guys

im from scotland and i am a british citizen. i have recently renewed my passport and decided to go to australia for my first ever holiday... i applyed online for an
e visitors visa which was approved.. they sent me a confirmation email... im not sure how this works im going on a 4 week holiday to see one of my friends that lives there ...

im a bit unsure aswell as to how customs work with medication and if i need a letter from my dr? im currently taking seroxat, trazodone, and diazipam. should i get a letter from my dr just to be on the safe side or are these ok to just take with me... they are all prescribed by my doctor and have original boxing and labels from the pharmacy on them..

also quick question.. will customs allow me to bring in irn bru to the country? in my suitcase and do i need to declare it as its a drink not food.?

also can anyone give me any advice on just customs and things i should know to make it out the airport! ive watched nothing to declare and im rather scared! lol

thanks guys xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:49 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hey there new australia traveler needing advice!

Originally Posted by mrshomersimpson
hi guys

im from scotland and i am a british citizen. i have recently renewed my passport and decided to go to australia for my first ever holiday... i applyed online for an
e visitors visa which was approved.. they sent me a confirmation email... im not sure how this works im going on a 4 week holiday to see one of my friends that lives there ...

im a bit unsure aswell as to how customs work with medication and if i need a letter from my dr? im currently taking seroxat, trazodone, and diazipam. should i get a letter from my dr just to be on the safe side or are these ok to just take with me... they are all prescribed by my doctor and have original boxing and labels from the pharmacy on them..

also quick question.. will customs allow me to bring in irn bru to the country? in my suitcase and do i need to declare it as its a drink not food.?

also can anyone give me any advice on just customs and things i should know to make it out the airport! ive watched nothing to declare and im rather scared! lol

thanks guys xxx
You'll definitely need a letter from your doctor detailing what medicines you're taking with you. You should also (next time you get your prescription), ask your pharmacist to do a photocopy of your prescription (make sure you tell him/her it's for this purpose). Keep those documents together and easily accessible in case you need to show them at the airport.

As for the Irn Bru, I'm really not sure, sorry.

Have a lovely holiday
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I have traveled back and forth numerous times from the UK, Canada and Australia, transiting through the States or Hong Kong and never brought along a doctor's note, even though I was carrying a 2 month supply of a benzodiazepine. The packages were clearly labeled with my full name, medication name and quantity. Customs are more concerned with tranquilizers than anti-depressants/SSRI's and the overall quantity you bring in so don't bring more than a 3 month supply.

However, to be on the safe side, you might wish to get a doctor's letter stating what you have been prescribed. It can provide a back-up should you lose the tablets and require a prescription here. Always carry them in your carry-on luggage.

As for the Bru, it might make a mess in your luggage should it break but as long as you declare it there should be no problem. Better yet, buy it in duty-free if able. Food, on the other hand, is a red flag and declare any food items even if they are in sealed tin cans. I got a bollocking from an Agent for not declaring my favourite can of baked beans with maple syrup.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

mrshomersimpson is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL yeah i was wondering if it would burst in the luggage lol but im willing to seal it in bags so that if it does blow then it wont be over my clothes! lol il declare it to be safe

the first two of my medications are antidepressants so ill get the letter to be sure!

thanks so much for your imput guys!

im totally bricking it! nothing to declare should be banned ! LOL
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:27 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrshomersimpson
LOL yeah i was wondering if it would burst in the luggage lol but im willing to seal it in bags so that if it does blow then it wont be over my clothes! lol il declare it to be safe

the first two of my medications are antidepressants so ill get the letter to be sure!

thanks so much for your imput guys!

im totally bricking it! nothing to declare should be banned ! LOL
No worries Have a great trip!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tina7
As for the Bru, it might make a mess in your luggage should it break but as long as you declare it there should be no problem. Better yet, buy it in duty-free if able.
Irn Bru....Ha Ha you wont get it duty free mate, its only made in Scotland from girders. http://youtu.be/H4PxuFQCDis or http://youtu.be/7_Rc_Q6wNCg
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Tina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Irn Bru....Ha Ha you wont get it duty free mate, its only made in Scotland from girders. http://youtu.be/H4PxuFQCDis or http://youtu.be/7_Rc_Q6wNCg
Actually, mate, I have seen it in a duty-free shop, can't remember where though.