Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hey everyone we are moving to perth in feb but need help with choosing a suburb

hey everyone we are moving to perth in feb but need help with choosing a suburb

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

belle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hey everyone we are moving to perth in feb but need help with choosing a suburb

we are moving to perth in feb from essex in england were looking at suberbs like

*innaloo
*dobleveiw
*woolands
*dianella
*leedsville

we are a young couple with a two year old daughter so somewhere with good transport is a bonus. if anyone can help it would be great xx
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hey everyone we are moving to perth in feb but need help with choosing a suburb

It all comes down to finding a house that you like at a price you can afford to be honest.
There is a lot of competition for new rentals and a lot of the ones one the market are in crappy condition comparaed to what you can get in the uk for the same price.

Finding somewhere thats in a decent state of repair and fits your budget might be the main things to look for. To be honest most of the areas are pretty much the same, only differing in the time to travel to the city.

I have lived in dianella and am currently not far from innaloo and theres not much difference. Both have big ass shopping centres, as do most areas.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Re: hey everyone we are moving to perth in feb but need help with choosing a suburb

Just arrived here myself (boxing day) and have been looking for somewhere for my girlfriend and me (late 20's & early 30's).

Have looked across the Perth Metro area and best place I've seen is Subiaco. It's got a lot more bars/cafe's/shops and more of a 'vibe' to it than anywhere else I've seen. It's also quite commutable. For a 3bed Townhouse you're looking at about $580-800 per week.

A couple of colleagues live in West Leederville, which is also central and looks nice.

Good websites to look at are: realestate.com.au and reiwa.com.au

Good luck, and let me know if I can help more.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by belle1
we are moving to perth in feb from essex in england were looking at suberbs like

*innaloo
*dobleveiw
*woolands
*dianella
*leedsville

we are a young couple with a two year old daughter so somewhere with good transport is a bonus. if anyone can help it would be great xx
I would also consider the following areas;

Mount Lawley / Inglewood / Bedford / Embleton
Highgate / East Perth / Some areas of Maylands
Mount Hawthorn / North Perth / Some areas of Glendalough & Osborne Park
Subi / Wembley / Nedlands / Jolimont / Claremont
Victoria Park / East Victoria Park / Lathlain
South Perth / Kensington / Como

I'm presuming that you will be renting at first so how much are you willing to spend per week in dollars??? And are you looking for a house / villa / townhouse???

Often times the villas and townhouses do not have much rear garden space - usually just a small paved courtyard. These are generally easy care but you might want space for the child to run around and if so you will probably need to move further out!!!

Personally, I prefer the older character style homes with the timber flooring and the high ceilings.

Check the transperth website to find out what transport is available from these areas - http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

I would definitely try to get a property within walking distance of a train station.

I have been in Perth for two and a half years and we are moving to Melbourne soon for a bit of a change. I am fairly familiar with most of the suburbs so if you need any more info just let me know

Lorraine.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a map of Perth, a set of darts and a blind fold may help

There are no really bad areas in Perth (compared to some of council estate hellholes in the UK),

Why not use the first week or so as a holiday and have good look around rather than picking a list from 12,000 miles away. I rushed into a rental the first week I was here and it was not ideal but it served it's purpose. I ended up buying a house nowhere near to the rental.

Keel
Old Jan 1st 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Keels advice sounds brilliant, we will be renting after our intial holiday let runs it's course, like you said first week as a chill out time zone refresher and relax etc. Then start the leg work into finding a rental and schools/work/shops etc, can't wait now.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

As you've probably realised, a lot of offices are closed due to the Christmas and New Year break. A real estate agent that we use is closed until 4 Jan, so there can be no home opens and the place we look after can't be rented out until the agent gets back and switched on.