Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hervey Bay to Mt Isa

Hervey Bay to Mt Isa

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Hervey Bay to Mt Isa

A question to all the weather watchers out there.....
I have a friend that has to get back to Mt Isa. He is planning to leave at 2am tomorrow morning and drive straight through as he usually does. What do you recon his chances are if getting there. Sorry know it's abit of a strange question...,, but thought I'd ask opinions on be
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:58 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hervey Bay to Mt Isa

Originally Posted by Cookster
I have a friend that has to get back to Mt Isa. He is planning to leave at 2am tomorrow morning and drive straight through as he usually does. What do you recon his chances are if getting there. Sorry know it's abit of a strange question...,, but thought I'd ask opinions on be
I reckon he;d be mad to try it. If that weather comes in faster than predicted he could get stranded miles from anywhere.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon he'd be totally irresponsible to try it. He may have to get back but presumably he wants to get back alive and no trip is that important.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Mount Isa is still looking like coping a 1 cat cyclone....he must be out his friggin tree and obviously doesnt listen to warnings.......no travel in the cyclone region
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He'd be mad to even try.
People are being advised NOT to travel at present, and there's a reasonable chance that even if he gets part way he will find roads closed en route. Mt Isa is looking at a Cat 1 at least.
Why are so many people being so complacent about this cyclone? Do they seriously have a deathwish or what?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I reckon he;d be mad to try it. If that weather comes in faster than predicted he could get stranded miles from anywhere.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I reckon he'd be totally irresponsible to try it. He may have to get back but presumably he wants to get back alive and no trip is that important.
Originally Posted by BigH68
Mount Isa is still looking like coping a 1 cat cyclone....he must be out his friggin tree and obviously doesnt listen to warnings.......no travel in the cyclone region
Originally Posted by Pollyana
He'd be mad to even try.
People are being advised NOT to travel at present, and there's a reasonable chance that even if he gets part way he will find roads closed en route. Mt Isa is looking at a Cat 1 at least.
Why are so many people being so complacent about this cyclone? Do they seriously have a deathwish or what?
I'd say that's pretty unanimous!
Tell him to stay put. The emergency services will have enough to deal with.

Last edited by Kapri; Feb 2nd 2011 at 9:30 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh i dont know,i think he should go for it,THE CRAZY B'STARD
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Oh i dont know,i think he should go for it,THE CRAZY B'STARD
Long as he doesn't expect the emergency sevrvices to bail him out. Couldn't believe the number of people last night who had ignored early advice to evacuate, then in the middle of the night erxpected the police to go out and help them leave their homes in the middle of a Cat 5 cyclone.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Cheers for the replies... Update...
He set off at 6pm last night and has just arrived 20 hours later.
Totally agree with everyone that he was pretty mad to try it but couldnt talk him out of it... as Bernie put it.... crazy bastard!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with everyone that he was pretty mad to try it but couldnt talk him out of it... as Bernie put it.... crazy bastard!!!!!
So he drove on public roads in bad weather for "20 hours".

Good to hear that your mate survived the trip though had he managed to collect a "Darwin Award" it wouldn't have broken my heart.

I'm more than relieved that everyone else who was unfortunate enough to be sharing the highway with "the crazy bastard" at the time, did the same.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hino
So he drove on public roads in bad weather for "20 hours".

Good to hear that your mate survived the trip though had he managed to collect a "Darwin Award" it wouldn't have broken my heart.

I'm more than relieved that everyone else who was unfortunate enough to be sharing the highway with "the crazy bastard" at the time, did the same.
Blar blar blar, yer yer yer!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:59 am
Home and Happy

Glad he made it, though I think he was lucky that Yasi decayed to a Low quicker than expected or he could've been airborne for part of it!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:51 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad he made it, though I think he was lucky that Yasi decayed to a Low quicker than expected or he could've been airborne for part of it!
Could be a viable new form of transport...get to your destination in quarter of the time