Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HERVEY BAY OR MACKAY?

HERVEY BAY OR MACKAY?

Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default HERVEY BAY OR MACKAY?

Which offers the most especially a sport mad 15 year old?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Re: HERVEY BAY OR MACKAY?

Sport is big everywhere in Queensland.
My son is 13 and plays rugby a couple of days a week. Most of the kids do some sort of sport outside school.
We are in Hervey Bay so im biased!!! No idea about McKay.
Angela
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I just had a business trip to Mackay....

I have to say it was the worst shit-hole town I've ever seen. Might be ok if you're really into heavy industry, mining , irrigation etc etc - but as a place to actually live?... RUN AWAY!!!!!

By way of a hint - the largest and busiest pub in Mackay seems to be the one oposite the centerlink office (dole office) - and features "topless bar staff" 6 nights a week. (was closed the 1 night we were in town ha ha ha!).

When I asked locals where we should go out in the evening we were told - "The Shamrock - yeah that place goes off - its gots loads of pokies". There were perhaps a dozen people in the pub that evening, 1 table of locals and a few old codgers glued to the betting screens watching dogs and horses. There were indeed a large number of pokies in the backroom....

If that is ANYWHERE NEAR the best Mackay has to offer you need to seriously think about changing your plans!

Having said that we did jump in the car and head out to the northern beaches and the beach was delightful - deserted and pristine...

Ultimately I dont care how good a beach is - if theres no intelligent life out there you're going to struggle!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

nick25016677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I have to say it was the worst shit-hole town I've ever seen. Might be ok if you're really into heavy industry, mining , irrigation etc etc - but as a place to actually live?... RUN AWAY!!!!!

By way of a hint - the largest and busiest pub in Mackay seems to be the one oposite the centerlink office (dole office) - and features "topless bar staff" 6 nights a week. (was closed the 1 night we were in town ha ha ha!).

When I asked locals where we should go out in the evening we were told - "The Shamrock - yeah that place goes off - its gots loads of pokies". There were perhaps a dozen people in the pub that evening, 1 table of locals and a few old codgers glued to the betting screens watching dogs and horses. There were indeed a large number of pokies in the backroom....

If that is ANYWHERE NEAR the best Mackay has to offer you need to seriously think about changing your plans!

Having said that we did jump in the car and head out to the northern beaches and the beach was delightful - deserted and pristine...

Ultimately I dont care how good a beach is - if theres no intelligent life out there you're going to struggle!
i agree me and my family went out to oz 2 yrs ago with the offer of a job in mackay,we flew to brissy and hired a motor home and began driving north to mackay.
this was my first time in oz the missus had backpacked for a year but had never got this far north so it was new to us all,well i must say every time we got further north the places got better and better i thought shit what is mackay gonna be like near the whit sundays awsome cant wait.well when we got there all i can compere it to is a cattle station with a few bars!all that was needed was a hick on the porch playing "the dueling banjo's" as you can gues i did not take the job and we got the hell ou of dodge the next day.when we got back to civilisation we had it explained to us that mackay was full of what the ozzies call "breaders".which are just dole merchants signing on and getting their cheque every time they drop a sprog!!it has to be hervey bay i loved it there my son caught his first fish off of the jetty so it will always be remembered for that
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Having said that we did jump in the car and head out to th
e northern beaches and the beach was delightful - deserted and pristine...

Hey each to their own…Some people might like living in Mackay. They might prefer the more laid back approach to life than that of ‘city night lights’. Not all that is good has to have bells and whistles with it and you shouldn’t judge one place by just one pub! Now that shows a lack of intelligence.

All said though I do prefer Hervey Bay. Just a matter of personal choice.

Mx
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Hated Mackay so much we went and left in the same day. We live in Yeppoon and love it, also like Bundaberg Good Luck
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Hey each to their own…Some people might like living in Mackay. They might prefer the more laid back approach to life than that of ‘city night lights’. Not all that is good has to have bells and whistles with it and you shouldn’t judge one place by just one pub! Now that shows a lack of intelligence.

All said though I do prefer Hervey Bay. Just a matter of personal choice.

Mx
that is without doubt the best post i have read on this site!!!!!i was waiting for the punchline "from the mayor of mackay at the end!!not i also think mackay is a dump!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigH68
Hated Mackay so much we went and left in the same day. We live in Yeppoon and love it, also like Bundaberg Good Luck
yeppoon aaaahhhh my favorite place in oz i loved it good choice if i can find work there i will b leaving melbourne and heading north!!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nick25016677
yeppoon aaaahhhh my favorite place in oz i loved it good choice if i can find work there i will b leaving melbourne and heading north!!
we have been here 5 years now......arrived in Brissy on 1st July 2004, came to Yeppoon, after two weeks realised this was home...never looked back...love it
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

we have been here 5 years now......arrived in Brissy on 1st July 2004, came to Yeppoon, after two weeks realised this was home...never looked back...love it
what do you do there i am a plumber and was hoping to get there but qld slowed up their visa applications so are now heading for melbourne.keep in touch if we dont like melbourne we could be looking north!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say it was the worst shit-hole town I've ever seen.
So no warnings bells on the flight up when all the other passengers have there own name tags

"Jim", "Bob", "Clarence", "Biff" etc

Hope your company managed to get a decent hotel (word of advice - ignore the star ratings, although the marina is okay)
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

what do you do there i am a plumber and was hoping to get there but qld slowed up their visa applications so are now heading for melbourne.keep in touch if we dont like melbourne we could be looking north!
Im in sales hubby with a mining company, shit loads of housing and unit developements on the go here at the moment. Give me a shout if u r ever up this way
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Im in sales hubby with a mining company, shit loads of housing and unit developements on the go here at the moment. Give me a shout if u r ever up this way
cool will do,how is the economy up north at the mo
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cool will do,how is the economy up north at the mo
have bad days and good days, building work still going strong and tourists still coming so cant complain, plenty jobs in the paper for those who want them, mining seems to be picking up a bit also.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: HERVEY BAY OR MACKAY?

have bad days and good days, building work still going strong and tourists still coming so cant complain, plenty jobs in the paper for those who want them, mining seems to be picking up a bit also.
i lost my wallet in the street (i still think the missus lost it but that is neither here nor there)while i was walking down the street dragging two kids and trading abuse with the missus someone stopped me and said are you the guy who lost the wallet i said yeah,and then there was a scene like the one in crocodile dundee where paul hogan is trying to get along the platform to the girl and starts shouting along the crowd,this bloke shouts "hey this is the guy who lost the wallet" to this other guy about 50yds down the path and this guy turns and says "i handed it in to the police station about 5 minutes ago"we went to the station and found the wallet and there wasnot a cent missing from it!!!kinda restores your faith in humanity when you get those moments great place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.