Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Herman tells it straight...

Herman tells it straight...

Old Mar 6th 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Herman tells it straight...

For all of you "dreamers" (and I was one once...) do a search for Herman`s posts. You will find a BALANCED viewpoint on life in Australia.

Also, look at "Headingdownunder2002"`s posts - she is spot on too....

it may be the "promised land" for some, but just look at the statistics:

Find out how many Doctors, Lawyers, Solicitors, and other "Professions" emigrated here in the last 10 years.

Then look at the "brain drain" statistics for Australia - how many of the (few) well-educated young Australians have headed for Europe??? I rest my case...
Old Mar 6th 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Herman tells it straight...

Originally posted by pommiesheila

Then look at the "brain drain" statistics for Australia - how many of the (few) well-educated young Australians have headed for Europe??? I rest my case...

And how many of them return in the future with fists full of money. without exception I have not met a single Australian working in my field - IT in the Uk that doesnot intend to return home to Australia. Now I cant say if its different for other industries, but certainly many Aussie IT folk came over to Europe to work on the Y2K issues, making loads of cash.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Find out how many Doctors, Lawyers, Solicitors, and other "Professions" emigrated here in the last 10 years.
Originally posted by Inked
And how many of them return in the future with fists full of money. without exception I have not met a single Australian working in my field - IT in the Uk that doesnot intend to return home to Australia. Now I cant say if its different for other industries, but certainly many Aussie IT folk came over to Europe to work on the Y2K issues, making loads of cash.
Whilst I agree with the title - the 'examples' are not very well chosen - doctors are penalised by points because there too many of them in Aus (so the govt states anyway). The legal system is more adverserial - kinda a mix between the US and UK system - and thus legal practioners would probably have to undergo a lot of retraining before being able to obtain a equitable position and equivalent pay.

Comparing accountants, IT and engineering professionals would probably have been a better one.

MM.

Last edited by madmancunian; Mar 6th 2003 at 1:10 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:30 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madmancunian
Whilst I agree with the title - the 'examples' are not very well chosen - doctors are penalised by points because there too many of them in Aus (so the govt states anyway). The legal system is more adverserial - kinda a mix between the US and UK system - and thus legal practioners would probably have to undergo a lot of retraining before being able to obtain a equitable position and equivalent pay.

Comparing accountants, IT and engineering professionals would probably have been a better one.

MM.

You may not be quite on the button old son?

AUSTRALIAN doctors are becoming increasingly frustrated and do not feel valued by the health system, according to the Australian Medical Association.

AMA Federal president Kerryn Phelps told an audience of Federal MPs yesterday that Australia's doctor shortage would worsen as more GPs retired early, went part-time or changed careers to avoid growing red tape and the rising costs, especially insurance, of running a practice.

She said bulk-billing was dying and the Government had to concentrate on ensuring that the genuinely needy could see a doctor free.

The Federal Government capped the number of training places for general practitioners in 1996 but has admitted recently a shortage of doctors and has promised to train more.

Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:42 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Inked

Thats your view not one held by the goverment though.

Australia is losing skilled residents to technologically advanced countries. Some 29 per cent of the net losses of Australian residents with professional occupations came from those moving to and from the UK (including Northern Ireland). The next largest destinations for these losses were the United States, New Zealand and Singapore. For New Zealand, the loss is mainly from New Zealand-born persons returning to New Zealand. This latter flow illustrates the argument that where a particular country is a major source of settlers it is likely to generate a high downstream return flow.

The UK, United States and Singapore are all 'hot spots' in the international 'knowledge economy'. The availability of lucrative and challenging work opportunities is likely to be a factor in these movements. Yet, why the dominance of the UK? Its economy has flourished in recent years, but since the UK does not match the United States when it comes to the level of demand for professionals or longstanding interest in the recruitment of immigrants to fill skill gaps, why should the net loss to the United States be so much lower than to the UK?

PS seems even the Aussies have caught on its a better place to live?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 7th 2003 at 3:44 am.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:47 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

MM.
Pointless debate, every individual has their own lives and priorities. My old team in London is almost half Australians and without exception they say they love to visit Australia but they regard London as home. I'm sure there are many Aussies who wish to return to Australia as its their home, but the accountants that I personally know have no intention of returning. I get different reasons from each, its always a personal thing. One is a 'lad' who enjoys the night life and the success his accent gives him with women (so he says anyway!), another is a girl who's parents were originally English (from Guildford) and she feels she is finally 'home' despite being born in Sydney, another (and his wife) is from Brisbane and simply says he hates the dull life in Australia, another has married an English girl and just bought their first house in Wimbledon, another who is from Perth is married to a German lady and they enjoy the theatre scene. You can't generalise, everyone knows someone directly or indirectly who can be used to support any particular view!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:51 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

For all of you "dreamers" (and I was one once...) do a search for Herman`s posts. You will find a BALANCED viewpoint on life in Australia.

Also, look at "Headingdownunder2002"`s posts - she is spot on too....

it may be the "promised land" for some, but just look at the statistics:

Thanks. I have my bad days, especially when the pressure at work is getting me down, but I try to be balanced when the mood allows!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
Pointless debate, every individual has their own lives and priorities. My old team in London is almost half Australians and without exception they say they love to visit Australia but they regard London as home. I'm sure there are many Aussies who wish to return to Australia as its their home, but the accountants that I personally know have no intention of returning. I get different reasons from each, its always a personal thing. One is a 'lad' who enjoys the night life and the success his accent gives him with women (so he says anyway!), another is a girl who's parents were originally English (from Guildford) and she feels she is finally 'home' despite being born in Sydney, another (and his wife) is from Brisbane and simply says he hates the dull life in Australia, another has married an English girl and just bought their first house in Wimbledon, another who is from Perth is married to a German lady and they enjoy the theatre scene. You can't generalise, everyone knows someone directly or indirectly who can be used to support any particular view!
As I said in other posts - liking Aus more than UK boils down more a subjective viewpoint and not an objective viewpoint. Arguing about whether a loaf bread costs more in one country than another is pretty pointless too (it varies in different parts of the UK and Aus). Whether you stay or go will almost invariably will depend on how you feel about the place.

Besides, but most debate on this forum is already pointless - so no need to pick on that one.

MM.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 5:00 am
Banned

Besides, but most debate on this forum is already pointless - so no need to pick on that one.

MM.

Your input is numerus for someone who thinks that this forum is pointlesss?