British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Here's what the airline's told me about immigration baggage allowances (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/heres-what-airlines-told-me-about-immigration-baggage-allowances-619896/)

CDM Jul 13th 2009 4:00 pm

Here's what the airline's told me about immigration baggage allowances

I wrote this in another thread yesterday in regards to another discussion but I thought the subject could well do with a thread of it's own.

I called several of the major airlines to ask specifically about baggage/luggage allowance for those that are travelling on a one-way ticket to emmigrate to Australia (form the UK in our case). Here's what they had to say:

Cathay Pacific
Must buy special emmigration fares which are more expensive but it works out cheaper than paying excess luggage if you want to take advantage of maximum allowance.

Singapore Airlines (*)
Just present an indefinate stay, unstamped visa at check-in to get double check-in allowance of 2x20Kg per person instead of 1x20Kg per person (1x7kg per person allowance in cabin remains unchanged). This seems to be the best airline from what I can tell as far as emmigration baggage allowance is concerned.

Qantas
Gave up after listening to music for 30 minutes whilst on hold - twice!

Ethiad
You get 1x20Kg per person check-in allowance that will show on ticket but they allow an additional 10Kg free as excess at check-in (effectively you get 30Kg per person). It's 1x7Kg per person in the cabin. No additional policy of emmigration flights and no further additional luggage allowances.

British Airways
No policy and no additional baggage allowance. However, another poster suggested that they allowed additional 23Kg bags for a flat fee of £75. BA didn't confirm this but I didn't ask either.

Emirates
You get 1x30Kg per person check-in allowance & 1x7Kg cabin allowance per person. There are no other allowances for emmigration flights.

If I've missed anything that anyone else can confirm, please feel free.

- CDM

(*) best overall in my opinon

cookiestar Jul 13th 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Here's what the airline's told me about immigration baggage allowances

If you use the Moving Planet code on the Emirates website, on an unvalidated PR visa, travelling on a one-way ticket, you get 50kg allowance each instead of 30kg. Plus your 7kg hand luggage.

INDOAUS Jul 13th 2009 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7748711)
I wrote this in another thread yesterday in regards to another discussion but I thought the subject could well do with a thread of it's own.

I called several of the major airlines to ask specifically about baggage/luggage allowance for those that are travelling on a one-way ticket to emmigrate to Australia (form the UK in our case). Here's what they had to say:

Cathay Pacific
Must buy special emmigration fares which are more expensive but it works out cheaper than paying excess luggage if you want to take advantage of maximum allowance.

Singapore Airlines (*)
Just present an indefinate stay, unstamped visa at check-in to get double check-in allowance of 2x20Kg per person instead of 1x20Kg per person (1x7kg per person allowance in cabin remains unchanged). This seems to be the best airline from what I can tell as far as emmigration baggage allowance is concerned.

Qantas

Ethiad
You get 1x20Kg per person check-in allowance that will show on ticket but they allow an additional 10Kg free as excess at check-in (effectively you get 30Kg per person). It's 1x7Kg per person in the cabin. No additional policy of emmigration flights and no further additional luggage allowances.

British Airways
No policy and no additional baggage allowance. However, another poster suggested that they allowed additional 23Kg bags for a flat fee of £75. BA didn't confirm this but I didn't ask either.

Emirates
You get 1x30Kg per person check-in allowance & 1x7Kg cabin allowance per person. There are no other allowances for emmigration flights.

- CDM

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7748733)
If you use the Moving Planet code on the Emirates website, on an unvalidated PR visa, travelling on a one-way ticket, you get 50kg allowance each instead of 30kg. Plus your 7kg hand luggage.

Thanks for this information. I never thought certain airlines would lift their restrictions on lugage allowance for a oz emigrant for free or just small additional costs.

CDM Jul 13th 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7748733)

That's useful to know. Would have been nice if Emirates had told me about this on the phone today.

How does one go abut using the Moving Planet code? If it's on Emirates' web-site, does that imply you have to book the flight directly via their web-site? I've found that the flight prices are uniformly more expensive if booked directly through the carriers' web-sites.

- CDM

cookiestar Jul 13th 2009 6:37 pm

You type it into the "promotional code" box on the booking page of the Emirates website.

The flights we booked were cheaper on the Emirates website than they were through any other website I looked at. I generally find booking with an airline direct is best - you get the best fares and the best choice of flights (I travelled quite a lot for work in the past few years)

Wigan Warrior Jul 13th 2009 6:37 pm

any hope for us poor folk that have had to get their visas validated? ;)

cookiestar Jul 13th 2009 6:43 pm

BA might be your best bet Wigan Warrior. Have a look here for their charges on excess baggage: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_gb

australianinleicester Jul 13th 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7748711)

Cathay Pacific

Singapore Airlines (*)

Qantas

Ethiad

British Airways

Emirates

- CDM

You do not mention that if you fly via the USA you get the standard 2 suitcases per person up to 32kg each piece, that is with any airline on a scheduled flight, but just check first, but as far as I know that is the way it has always been.

Wigan Warrior Jul 13th 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by australianinleicester (Post 7749065)
You do not mention that if you fly via the USA you get the standard 2 suitcases per person up to 32kg each piece, that is with any airline on a scheduled flight, but just check first, but as far as I know that is the way it has always been.

mmm, this could be an option

painter in aus Jul 13th 2009 7:12 pm

stick with singapore then

CDM Jul 13th 2009 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7749001)
The flights we booked were cheaper on the Emirates website than they were through any other website I looked at. I generally find booking with an airline direct is best - you get the best fares and the best choice of flights (I travelled quite a lot for work in the past few years)

This hasn't been my experience at all. I've spent the better part of the past 2 days checking fares for London to Melbourne in August via all manor of air-fare web-sites. I've also checked all the carriers' web-sites and not once have I yet found the fares on their web-sites to be cheaper than those offered by the likes of Opodo, Asda, etc. For example, I can find several fares for 2 adults & 2 children at around £1,650 but I can't find anything within several hundred pounds of that direct.

- CDM

cookiestar Jul 13th 2009 7:43 pm

I'd be careful with counting on the airline allowances then if you're booking through a third party.

CDM Jul 13th 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7749176)
I'd be careful with counting on the airline allowances then if you're booking through a third party.

I did ask about that to the airlines directly. Singapore airlines, for example, told me that all I had to do was to present the unstamped PR visa at the check-in desk and it didnt matter how the ticket was booked or through whom.

- CDM

CDM Jul 13th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7749176)

I did actually put that to Singapore Airlines. They told me that all we had to do was to show up at check-in with a one-way ticket and an unstamped PR visa that is valid for indefinite stay and this would be sufficient for the additional baggage allowance. It didn't matter how or through whom the ticket was booked.

- CDM

Xena Sep 2nd 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7749404)
I did actually put that to Singapore Airlines. They told me that all we had to do was to show up at check-in with a one-way ticket and an unstamped PR visa that is valid for indefinite stay and this would be sufficient for the additional baggage allowance. It didn't matter how or through whom the ticket was booked.

- CDM

Now for what may seem like a dumb question - we validated our visas last year but they were electronically scanned, not physically stamped - so, do the checkin at the airlines have the facility to check whether our visa is actually unused? Sorry, very confusing but that is my brain at the moment ;)