Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

View Poll Results: Do you agree with what Buzzy said about successful emigrants?
Yes, Buzzy, you have hit the nail on the head.
55.07%
No, I think the opposite.
44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Bloody doppelgangers

I know. They are everywhere!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:18 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by Bix
We'll swing together
Ooooo that didn't come out how I meant
I'll swing my way and you swing yours. Let's not swing both ways
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
We'll swing together
Ooooo that didn't come out how I meant

Can I join?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Same here. Loved UK, tried OZ, prefer UK..thanks.
Yep, same here
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:56 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you've done youre research and know that you may not earn the money you had hoped, that its a whole different lifestyle that you may find difficult to settle into, that you will miss youre family terribly and that the first few years may be a hard slog AND keep an open mind, embrace their way of life ,pull together as a family ( i'll scrub toilets for the first few years if i have to) make an effort to make friends and fit in and no matter what upon landing say " right this is home then " then you've got a good chance.
I think if you expect Australia to have the things you actually liked about England as well as the things you disliked then youre asking alot. I'm going to try and keep in mind our reasons for emigrating when the chips are down and if it gets to drastic measures then we will try a different city/area... we definately wont be coming back to the UK to live. I live in north Watford in Hertfordshire ....... but i wouldn't live or like to live in say ... west Watford.
Just because its not working in one place doesn't mean it wont in another.
I also think that some people once they are there , forget to actually look around them and appreciate the weather, rainforest, beaches , wildlife and the lovely country that is Australia, they're too busy fitting into the same routine they had in the UK.
I do think that for some its not as easy as that and relationships , illness within the family either in Oz or the Uk and the need for each member of the family to settle is a major deciding factor.
I myself know i'm going to find it really tough but i'm going (hopefully) knowing that ... so its got to be a start.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I disagree. Why emigrate to Australia if everything in the UK is so great?

I moaned about the crappy weather, Tony Blair, lousy transport etc... all the time.

I've been here over 4 years, no intention of living in the UK again.
Snap....unhappy with the UK (for several reasons), made the move to Aus, very happy now and no intentions of returning to the UK...and our citizenship ceremony is this Thursday - V.excited!!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm abstaining too ...and not just because Carl did

I wasn't happy in the UK...I worked in a job I enjoyed, had good friends, the nice house etc ....but it was an existence, something was missing, and not something I could put my finger on necessarily.

Here, for me is home - it has what I want - we still pay bills, it has crime etc, etc ...I don't see those as problems, just elements of societies throughout the world - I've been here for two years now ..long enough I think to make an informed decision.

I wasn't happy, and did something about it - never was one to sit and whinge and not help myself ....so all in all - can't vote.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
I'm abstaining too ...and not just because Carl did

I wasn't happy in the UK...I worked in a job I enjoyed, had good friends, the nice house etc ....but it was an existence, something was missing, and not something I could put my finger on necessarily.

Here, for me is home - it has what I want - we still pay bills, it has crime etc, etc ...I don't see those as problems, just elements of societies throughout the world - I've been here for two years now ..long enough I think to make an informed decision.

I wasn't happy, and did something about it - never was one to sit and whinge and not help myself ....so all in all - can't vote.
Its funny because when someone posts that they are happy with their decision living in Oz, in the past, they have been accused of being in the 'honeymoon period'.

I think its hard for those that hate it, to understand just why others like it.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Its funny because when someone posts that they are happy with their decision living in Oz, in the past, they have been accused of being in the 'honeymoon period'.

I think its hard for those that hate it, to understand just why others like it.
Think the 'honeymoon' stage is way past for me ... like I said, it's well over two years, I work etc etc....each day the place grows on me but I know what you mean Sam

Think that whatever you feel about somewhere is acutely personal ... what makes or breaks a place for an individual can mean nothing to another - or it can be just a gut feeling on way or another.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
Think the 'honeymoon' stage is way past for me ... like I said, it's well over two years, I work etc etc....each day the place grows on me but I know what you mean Sam

Think that whatever you feel about somewhere is acutely personal ... what makes or breaks a place for an individual can mean nothing to another - or it can be just a gut feeling on way or another.
I find it patronising to read accusations of rose tints.

If someone likes it, they like it and vice versa.

You know what is right for you and noone has the right to judge that.

Honeymoon period my arse, as you say - that has well and truly passed for you .
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:51 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
upon landing say " right this is home then " then you've got a good chance.
I think if you expect Australia to have the things you actually liked about England as well as the things you disliked then youre asking alot.

I can't vote either way because I haven't emigrated yet however I think this is good advice.
I don't have a huge circle of friends to leave behind as I have moved around so much. i don't live near my family so I'm hoping that I won't get too homesick.
For me - I'm just hoping Australia will be a good fit. I don't think Australia is better or worse than the UK. For some Oz is a better fit - for others the UK is.
The sad thing is you have to spend a lot of time and money finding out
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
OK, my own personal theory.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Fingers on buzzers - all vote NOW!

Buzzy
I disagree to an extent.

I think what predisposes people to unsuccessful migration is more of a lack of content with what they have, coupled with unrealistic expectations. There may be a multitude of reasons including but not limited to a sense of boredom, or just the fact that the UK housing market presents a problem and the FX rate alleviates it to a point in Australia.

Another huge, huge risk group is 'sheltered' 'Little Englanders' with a reasonable level of education but little life experience or lacking the X factor which prior overseas living or family/working/social life or interests may otherwise provide for someone else. They present with having reaped the benefits of a reasonable life in the UK on one level, but come unstuck when they make the move as they just haven't got the sheer experience to apply it somewhere else.

This is proved by some very well educated and dynamic people doing very well here. However - another risk group is extremely dynamic people who can't cope with a slower pace of life - despite moving to achieve that very aim. It happens of course. You are allowed to change your mind(!)

Some people prefer the Australian experience, having moved there and prefered it. The Uk is never quite the same again. I couldn't live in the UK now - and I'd probably complain about it if I was there for any length of time.

cheers
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting and lively debate. Still about a 50/50 split.

Very interesting and lots of food for thought.

Buzzy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

So can we conclude those who voted NO are all whingers ?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
So can we conclude those who voted NO are all whingers ?
You can conclude what you like.

I conclude that, amazingly, it is possible to have this kind of thread on BE without it turning into a UK v Oz slanging match!

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.