Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's how to open a Westpac account from the UK - and get on-line access.

Here's how to open a Westpac account from the UK - and get on-line access.

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's how to open a Westpac account from the UK - and get on-line access.

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi TF,

we wanted to fly out on Sunday 5 August. But now there are no seats left on the flight we wanted . Now we may fly out on 1 August or 6 August, depending on flight availability. I daren't book the tickets until we have exchanged contracts on the house ...

We didn't order *credit* Mastercards, we ordered *debit* Mastercards. Up to now Oz banks had "handycards" which you can use in ATMs and for EFTPOS, but you can't use handycards to buy stuff over the telephone or over the internet or get money out of an overseas ATM.

With a Westpac debit Mastercard you can do all of the above. And unlike most Oz credit cards, there are no monthly fees for the debit card.

Just phone telephone banking again a couple of weeks before you fly out and ask for them to have your debit cards ready when you get there.

Gina

Thanks Gina.

Best of luck with the house exchange.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's how to open a Westpac account from the UK - and get on-line access.

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
There is another way of activating your account that can be done from the UK before you get here. Go into Australia House in London along with the appropriate ID (passport, drivers lic, etc) and have them complete the 100 point ID check on behalf of your bank. They can't do it for all banks, but they can for most including WestPac.

Recently some clients of mine, living in London but wanting to buy in Perth were able to use the above method to activate their accounts (including the mortgage).
I went into Australia House yesterday to ask them about this and they (the girl on the visa counter who was the one I was directed to by the guys manning the security/entrance desk) denied all knowledge of it Does anyone have any information about what I should ask/say/do, who I should ask to speak to or anything relating to this?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I should also have said thanks to Techno Freak for the original post. We opened our account last week with no hassles although the process took a bit longer than I expected.

What can I expect through the post?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:09 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this post, I just printed it out and will set up an account next month.

Miranda
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Thanks for this post, I just printed it out and will set up an account next month.

Miranda
No worries
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by louie
I went into Australia House yesterday to ask them about this and they (the girl on the visa counter who was the one I was directed to by the guys manning the security/entrance desk) denied all knowledge of it Does anyone have any information about what I should ask/say/do, who I should ask to speak to or anything relating to this?
I see there's another thread about opening and accessing bank accounts from the UK. Can anyone help me with this query?
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see there's another thread about opening and accessing bank accounts from the UK. Can anyone help me with this query?
Depends what bank you want to go with?

If you want to go with Westpac, just follow the instructions on the first post in this thread.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Depends what bank you want to go with?

If you want to go with Westpac, just follow the instructions on the first post in this thread.
Yes, I've done that and opened an account with Westpac in May - thanks for your help. However, we are now at cross purposes. What I meant was can anyone help with the query about being able to do the Money Laundering checks at Australia House rather than having to wait until we get to Oz. We have bills for our property in Oz which we can't at the moment pay from the funds we have in our Westpac account so if we can access those funds by using the method Bullcreek Bob suggested it would make life a lot easier.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I've done that and opened an account with Westpac in May - thanks for your help. However, we are now at cross purposes. What I meant was can anyone help with the query about being able to do the Money Laundering checks at Australia House rather than having to wait until we get to Oz. We have bills for our property in Oz which we can't at the moment pay from the funds we have in our Westpac account so if we can access those funds by using the method Bullcreek Bob suggested it would make life a lot easier.
Ahhh...sorry - I see what you are saying. You can activate your acocunt for paying out by using the 'acceptable referee' method. You can get the forms from Westpac. Basically, you need to know someone that works for a bank and has authoirity to open accounts. They fill in the form and say that they have know you for 12 months or longer. You send that back to Westpac and Bob's your mothers brother.

There are other acceptable referees listed on the form, like policeman etc, but if you are in the UK you have to be reffereed by the bank staff one.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sadly I don't know anyone who fits into that category. But an earlier post suggested you could call into Australia House with the appropriate documentation and they will do the necessary. I tried that - no-one knew what I was talking about! I was hoping someone would know who I needed to ask/what I needed to say as I can get to Australia House easily enough.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sadly I don't know anyone who fits into that category. But an earlier post suggested you could call into Australia House with the appropriate documentation and they will do the necessary. I tried that - no-one knew what I was talking about! I was hoping someone would know who I needed to ask/what I needed to say as I can get to Australia House easily enough.
I seem to remember reading a similar post on here about doing that at Australia House too.

Fortunatley, we dont really need to use ur account until we are there, so I never looked into it.

Hope you manage to get sorted out.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I finally got round to sorting out the telephone and internet banking codes on the phone last night. Really helpful staff, so far I'd thoroughly recommend Westpac.

One thing though - I now realise that not only can we not withdraw funds until we turn up at the branch in Oz, we can't transfer money between accounts either. So if you are transferring money to Oz (or as we are, having funds paid in over there, in our case rent), make sure it goes into the Max-i account not the Choices account otherwise you will lose out on interest.

Thanks again to the OP for putting this post up.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GinaUK
He has also ordered us our Mastercard debit cards which will be ready for us when we arrive.
I knew it was too good to be true.... it was all going smoothly and then I rang up to make sure our cards would be ready to pick up when we arrive only to be told that we could only apply for the cards once we were in Oz. I explained that other people had managed to do it from the UK, but she was adamant we would have to apply when we turned up at the branch and then wait five days. Which as we arrive in Sydney Friday morning and then leave on Thursday morning to travel effectively means we won't be able to sort it, which in turn means we have all our money in the bank and no means of getting it out (other than drawing enough to pay for everything in cash for a three week holiday). Anyone know who else I can talk to to sort this out as I'm not happy
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it was too good to be true.... it was all going smoothly and then I rang up to make sure our cards would be ready to pick up when we arrive only to be told that we could only apply for the cards once we were in Oz. Anyone know who else I can talk to to sort this out as I'm not happy
Why don't you activate your accounts in London before you go to Oz?

The migrant banking department of Westpac have an office in London. The exact address and their direct telephone number was in the latest issue of "Australia" magazine (that's the October issue). Unfortunately, I've already put our copy out into the recycling bin.

Although Westpac had a London office for years, I think having a presence there for migrant banking is a new thing, because their address in the "Australia" magazine has previously always been Sydney.

If you don't have the magazine yourself, try phoning Westpac's London switchboard: (020) 7621 7000. Ask to be put through to the migrant banking department. Then ask them for an appointment to come in, activate your accounts, and ask them to order your cards.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Gina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow. I didn't know you could do that Gina. I'll ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.