Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's a good one for ya!

Here's a good one for ya!

Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:32 pm
"Its Not for Girls"

Yorky1969 has a spectacular aura aboutYorky1969 has a spectacular aura aboutYorky1969 has a spectacular aura about
Default Here's a good one for ya!

When insuring a car in Oz, can you use/transfer any "no claims discounts" built up in the UK, or do you have to start from scratch with high premiums? If so, can anyone offer any typical figures for insuring say a Toyota Verso type 7 seater or a medium sized family saloon?

Thanks

Yorky
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's a good one for ya!

Originally Posted by Yorky1969
When insuring a car in Oz, can you use/transfer any "no claims discounts" built up in the UK, or do you have to start from scratch with high premiums? If so, can anyone offer any typical figures for insuring say a Toyota Verso type 7 seater or a medium sized family saloon?

Thanks

Yorky
I am insured with RACV over here and I was told that by answering their questions they would automatically put me on the appropriate level - mine is on the highest rating ie. no claims. They did not want to see my no claims from the UK as they said the questions covered it!

I also got 10% off for taking out home insurance with them at the same time. One guy told me if I could show AA membership of x number of years from the UK I could get even more discount but everyone else I've asked there has denied this - haven't looked into it further yet.

We have a Subaru Forester AWD and it costs $430 something with my discount..... I pay annually up front as it worked out cheaper than monthly.

HTH
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's a good one for ya!

Originally Posted by Yorky1969
When insuring a car in Oz, can you use/transfer any "no claims discounts" built up in the UK, or do you have to start from scratch with high premiums?
Yes, you keep your no claims bonus. But get a letter from your UK company as proof that you have x years, because the Oz insurance companies vary in how they deal with it.

First year we had car insurance with HBF and they just took our word for the UK no claims bonus.

Second year we changed to BudgetLine and they wanted to see proof (no problem, because we had the letter from the UK).