British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Here we go - The OliBenEli family.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/here-we-go-olibeneli-family-267250/)

Olibeneli Nov 18th 2004 10:05 am

Here we go - The OliBenEli family....

Folks,

Just got an email from our case officer down under. This is what it said:

Your visas have been granted yesterday and should be ready for evidencing
from London by early next week.

For the record, we did this all ourselves with no agent for a skilled independent visa (Class BN Sub Class 136). (Midwife)

We send the application in April 2004 (skills assessment prior to that) just before my wifes birthday and just after if I recall correctly they upped the points needed. We didn't front load anything either nor get my skills assessed as an accountant for extra points. Our medicals were done late October/early November.

I know we are more fortunate than some due to the skill being on the MODL.

Now we plan a holiday and recce next year to Sydney.........maybe Perth and Brissy too if we can afford to but we only have 3 weeks.

So, now the next phase of planning begins........please, can anyone tell me what sort of weather to expect in Sydney next August......will it be like a South of England summer, or grey, wet and miserable? If you had a choice, when would you go to do a recce to Sydney ?....

August is bad for cost (school holidays)......and its winter......when the bloody hell is it good ?

Thanks folks.

debbiemc Nov 18th 2004 10:15 am

Re: Here we go - The OliBenEli family....

fantastic news for you, many congratulations. there seems to be loads being granted the past week or two, hope it hasen't slowed down when we apply!

plenty of :beer: later then

good look and have a fab holiday.

debbie x

Olibeneli Nov 18th 2004 10:21 am

Originally Posted by debbiemc
fantastic news for you, many congratulations. there seems to be loads being granted the past week or two, hope it hasen't slowed down when we apply!

plenty of :beer: later then

good look and have a fab holiday.

debbie x

Thank you....good luck to you too!.

philj6969 Nov 18th 2004 10:44 am

Congratulations on the visas!

Not sure about the Sydney weather though.

I am finally off to the Sunshine coast next week, I'll be back on to the forum when I get my ISP sorted, make sure you let us know when & where for you too!

Phil.

JAJ Nov 18th 2004 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
So, now the next phase of planning begins........please, can anyone tell me what sort of weather to expect in Sydney next August......will it be like a South of England summer, or grey, wet and miserable? If you had a choice, when would you go to do a recce to Sydney ?....

August is bad for cost (school holidays)......and its winter......when the bloody hell is it good ?

Sydney is virtually never 'grey, wet and miserable' for prolonged periods. You can get a week of it at a time, though.

August in Sydney is ok, but not the best month of the year.

Temperatures are still fairly cool, about 18C max during the day. It's generally dry and sunny, although often windy. Days are still quite short.

September is a much better month weatherwise.

In terms of the timing of your trip, your visas will have a 'first entry date'. You must observe this (and don't try to leave it until just before the deadline).

Jeremy

tiredwithtwins Nov 18th 2004 11:24 am

Congratulations on getting your visa!!!!
are your kids getting excited?

nice to see another nurse/midwife getting the visa through PDQ!!

sue :D

Olibeneli Nov 18th 2004 11:37 am

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Congratulations on getting your visa!!!!
are your kids getting excited?

nice to see another nurse/midwife getting the visa through PDQ!!

sue :D

Long time no speak with you.....we must have stacks in common having twins and my wife being a midwife (formerly a nurse, now a sonographer).

Our kids have no concept about all this other than they know we might go and it's a long way. They just want a house with a pool !....that might have to wait !

Where are you with your application and plans ?

HiddenPaw Nov 18th 2004 11:46 am

good luck to you all. i remember when you first posted (we were both newbies - except I was wanting to come back to UK and you were wanting to go to Oz!) glad to hear you got the visas - and bet you're pleased that there's a shortage of accountants too....altho securing a job might mean less time on the golf course :p

Olibeneli Nov 18th 2004 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
good luck to you all. i remember when you first posted (we were both newbies - except I was wanting to come back to UK and you were wanting to go to Oz!) glad to hear you got the visas - and bet you're pleased that there's a shortage of accountants too....altho securing a job might mean less time on the golf course :p

Thanks.......so how's life back in the UK, how was it down under and what's nappyland like......your avatar is a great picture.

Thankfully my trio are well out of nappies but they are prone to bouts of wetting themselves when they all get the giggles.

bondipom Nov 18th 2004 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sydney is virtually never 'grey, wet and miserable' for prolonged periods. You can get a week of it at a time, though.

August in Sydney is ok, but not the best month of the year.

Temperatures are still fairly cool, about 18C max during the day. It's generally dry and sunny, although often windy. Days are still quite short.

September is a much better month weatherwise.

In terms of the timing of your trip, your visas will have a 'first entry date'. You must observe this (and don't try to leave it until just before the deadline).

Jeremy

It is also a good time for the job market and job hunting. Not sure why so many think it is great to come here at Xmas. The temperature in August means you can see a lot more and do a lot more (eg job hunt house hunt unpack etc).

If it blows a cold southerly you will feel it and you will need jumpers, especially at night and in your home.

Sue2 Nov 18th 2004 7:19 pm

Great news on getting your visas :beer:

Will see you at the Kent meet!

Well done

Sue x :D

tonyk38 Nov 18th 2004 7:20 pm

Well done folks! Instant PR too! I wish you the very best of luck and here's to your health! :beer: and karma on its way! :)