Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here we go AGAIN... Sydney Suburb Advice Anyone?

Here we go AGAIN... Sydney Suburb Advice Anyone?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here we go AGAIN... Sydney Suburb Advice Anyone?

Hi,

I'm so sorry to post another Sydney suburb question, but I feel as though we're going round and round in circles and I'm getting sooo frustrated!

My OH and I thought we'd found the perfect area in settle in Wollongong (Thirroul, Austinmer, Stanwell Park area), but we've realised that it's just not going to be commutable... So now we're completely and utterly confused and I'm starting to believe that we won't be able to find our "dream lifestyle" in Sydney after all.

What we're looking for is:
- min 2 bed, 2 bath house with a garden
- close to sea (within 10 mins drive)
- commutable to central Sydney (max 1 hour each way)
- in an affordable area (max 550 AUD per week)

Are we absolutely mad with our expectations? Should we rather be looking at another city like Perth?

ANY advise will be appreciated! And sorry I know there are thousands of Sydney suburb posts, I just haven't been able to find the answer to our problem.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go AGAIN... Sydney Suburb Advice Anyone?

Hi. Why not browse domain.com.au

and/or, realestate.com.au

Then, from options available, click on 'rent'

You could select 'eastern suburbs' option, which will take you to suburbs with proximity to the water. There are also beachside suburbs further north, or south which are commuting distance to the CBD.

If you bring up a Sydney map in a separate window, you'll then be able to select suburbs based on that, to gauge distances from Sydney CBD or wherever you plan to work.

All the best
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

I think the problem you will have (I know we did) was that until you are on the ground you can't really know whether a suburb is right for you or not. All I can say is I would focus on a shorter commute rather than distance to the sea - You will get bored of the beach but you HAVE to commute every day!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ryem78
Hi,
What we're looking for is:
- min 2 bed, 2 bath house with a garden
- close to sea (within 10 mins drive)
- commutable to central Sydney (max 1 hour each way)
- in an affordable area (max 550 AUD per week)
Given Sydney's rental market you may be out west for that price. Which could be pushing the commute travel time. You should beable to find somewhere for that price though. Just look for places around a train line and you should be ok.

You thought about using the train from Woollogong? Lots of people do commute from Woollogong each day. I know people who commute from Newcastle which is like 2 - 3 hour train ride each way.

Sydney roads are bad. Once you get to the outskirts of Sydney there is little Motorways to get you into central sydney, without you hitting lots of traffic and / or tolls.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

If you're doing searches on domain and not coming up with much, reduce your bathroom to 1. You won't get many 2 bed houses with 2 baths, certainly not at that price.

If want to be near the city you may have to go with an apartment to stay in that budget but again, the older apartments don't have 2 baths.

We're currently renting a 2 bed (allegedly) 1 bath (tiny shower room) house, small as most apartments, and paying $620 a week but that is Lower North Shore.

Do you know where you'll be working? It's really hard to advise without that as you could be North Shore, and you certainly wouldn't want to do that from Wollongong.

Is it just the two of you? What is your lifestyle? Pubs, clubs, beach, walks, homebodies, etc.?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:39 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Lane Cove and pay $550 pw on a 3 bed detached house with a reasonable bit of a garden.
City is under 30 mins by bus at peak time, and can be at Manly in around 30 mins if you want a beach trip.
Properties are out there, but as said above - concentrate on getting your commute time acceptable and go from there.

public transport can be found at www.131500.info and will provide useful commuting times from specifica areas.

Good luck
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:47 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want the beach drop the house garden thing and go for a unit. If you want a house forget being near the beach at that rent. If you have no kids the apartment option is probably the best.

Someone mentioned Lane Cove which is nice but its suitability depends on your lifestyle.

Some may get bored of the beach but after nearly seven years I have not and love the exercise options and the walks. Sunbaking is just boring and dangerous. Again it depends on your lifestyle.

You will get each person coming on and justifying their reasons for their suburb. Some will give commute times that maybe true for midnight when there are no roadworks.

For pubs Balmain is good, for Clubs and nightlife Paddington Woollahra, for leafy suburbs the North Shore, for ethnic foods the inner west etc etc. Sydney has a lot to offer. What do you want?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Forest tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Wollongong is a nice area but the commute to the CBD might be too much to do every day. I ahve a friend at work who commutes on a regular basis from the 'gong to the CBD but also has maned to arrange to work from home a few days a week to make life a bit easier.

As far as the city is concerned Lane Cove is a good family area and as mentioned in a previous post relatively inexpensive so worth considering.

I would not get too hung up on the beach lifestyle - most people i know are happy to drive 30 mins to a beach ratehr than pay the massive premium to live next to one. And at the end of the day you probably wont go to the beach as often as you imagine whilst in the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Breakfast Point which is stunning. You wont get a house for the rent you wont, but will get a appartment with a huge balcony and views of the city and harbour bridge.
It isnt close to a beach, but is on the river with pretty parks and things along the river.
Also, lots of shops and restraunts near by and is close to the cbd either by train or ferry. (I prefered the ferry as it passing through the harbour under the bridge on a morning always feels wonderful)
Also, resident get access to the country club which has pools, bar, restraunt, tennis courts, sauna and other bits and bobs
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

benny02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we live in Dee Why and pay $470 pw for a unit with 2 bed and a small bathroom, close to the beach though. I think like one of the previous replys, rents expensive near the beach so you probably wont get a house with a garden for $550 pw unless you go out a bit further away from beaches.

have a look at domain and realestate they are your best sites for rented accomodation.

goodluck