Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here we go again

Here we go again

Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road
Red face Here we go again

My family and I are in the process of returning to UK from NZ (lived in NZ for 6 years, love it here but fed up of low wages). Now that the crunch has actually arrived and UK job offer expires in Dec we are not sure what to do? I think the reason is due to the fact that we know what we are going back to?? One of our sons aged 11 is petrified of going to an english senior school and thinks he will be bullied due to his kiwi accent.

Soooooooooooo after lots of thought and discussion we are considering going to live in Adelaide and wondered if anyone could tell us what they think of Adelaide. We have lived in Perth before and did not like it there due to the it being to isolated.

Anyway any info would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again

Originally Posted by Stuee
My family and I are in the process of returning to UK from NZ (lived in NZ for 6 years, love it here but fed up of low wages). Now that the crunch has actually arrived and UK job offer expires in Dec we are not sure what to do? I think the reason is due to the fact that we know what we are going back to?? One of our sons aged 11 is petrified of going to an english senior school and thinks he will be bullied due to his kiwi accent.

Soooooooooooo after lots of thought and discussion we are considering going to live in Adelaide and wondered if anyone could tell us what they think of Adelaide. We have lived in Perth before and did not like it there due to the it being to isolated.

sorry cant offer any advice re adelaide..im off there in Jan..to a really romote area..but have visited Adelaide a few times and i liked it.

As for your 11 yr old. I sympathise with you. Its a big step up from junior to secondary, wish there was anther way to do it. I hope things get sorted for you and you get advice your looking for..which im sure you will

good luck.

regards

lolly
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuee

If you found perth isolated, why adelaide, its pretty small theres not exactly much around it or in it for that matter.

Why not somewhere bigger with a bit more life, brisbane, sydney, and before you say too hot, has anyone been to adelaide in a hot summer, very brown, scorching heat
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what others on this forum have said about Adelaide I'd be inclined to agree. Melbourne or one of the east coast cities sounds like a much safer bet.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a thread currently going on about Adelaide. We've been here 2 months from Canada and love it. I think the general consensus of those here is that they are happy. Adelaide is small and very laid back, where Sydney or Melbourne are more cosmopolitan and faster paced.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotnron
There is a thread currently going on about Adelaide. We've been here 2 months from Canada and love it. I think the general consensus of those here is that they are happy. Adelaide is small and very laid back, where Sydney or Melbourne are more cosmopolitan and faster paced.

Yep, Adelaide is great.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, Adelaide is great.
If Wendy says it's good, it must be good.

But she is moving to Cairns in 2015.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:13 am
toplad

Adelaide is a lovely friendly place to live and bring children up.My two kids have settled in really quickly with lot's of auzzy friends. I love it and so do a lot of my friends. Try it. i think you'll like it.

tracy

Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
If Wendy says it's good, it must be good.

But she is moving to Cairns in 2015.

You never know