Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here on the 'Perth Rekkie'

Here on the 'Perth Rekkie'

Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:29 pm
Starting the long wait...

Didigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant future
Smile Here on the 'Perth Rekkie'

Well we finally got here Thursday evening following a flight from Birmingham via a two hour stop over in Dubai. Flew with Emirates and must say fantastic service, better than Virgin who I thought were top class on long haul...much better!!

Spent the day at Scarborough beach, which was lovely, nice and clean (although a little too cold to persuade our 2 year old to paddle).

So far we like what we have seen of Perth. Everyone we have met has been very friendly, the roads are easy to navigate and drive on and considering it is winter/early spring it is nice and warm.

Tomorrow we are off to Fremantle or Rockingham for another look round.

Any suggestions on what to do in these places would be great.

Off to sit in the hot tub with a bottle of chilled white and my other half !!

Didi
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:31 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Here on the 'Perth Rekkie'

The thing that worries me is property prices in Perth. <gulp>
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Can't offer any advice but just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Didigriff
Well we finally got here Thursday evening following a flight from Birmingham via a two hour stop over in Dubai. Flew with Emirates and must say fantastic service, better than Virgin who I thought were top class on long haul...much better!!

Spent the day at Scarborough beach, which was lovely, nice and clean (although a little too cold to persuade our 2 year old to paddle).

So far we like what we have seen of Perth. Everyone we have met has been very friendly, the roads are easy to navigate and drive on and considering it is winter/early spring it is nice and warm.

Didi
Jealous beyond belief....you could go look at houses for me if you get really bored (that was a joke).

Hoping to get there myself in the next week...just waiting for them to process my 457....driving me potty.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:03 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

We wish we would have had a look at Mandurah. A few people on here live there and it sounds lovely. They have dolphins which would be nice for your little one to see. Also go across the river on the ferry and there is a nice coffee bar on the opposite side and you get a great view of the CBD skyline. Kings Park is a must. ALso if looking for houses tHE vale at Ellenbrook is really nice.

Have fun
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:06 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Didigriff

Didi
Hi ya

Take a trip 'East' along the Reid Highway and go to Caversham Wildife park which is situated in Whiteman Park. (sign posted off Reid Highway).
Whitman Park is free to get in, Caversham Wildlife has a charge. You will be able to stroke Kangaroo's and Koala's, so many tame Kangaroos you wont belive it! Also get to hold a Wombat.

Kings park is great also. Good lookouts over the city from the City entrance and then head to the Western Power family area where there in play equipment and a lovely cafe called Zamia Cafe.

From the Western Power play ground there's a walk through to the DNA tower, fun to climb.

Also check out the BBQ's... all free and totally clean stainless steel to cook on.

Been to Hillary's yet?
Head out to the coast on the Reid Highway and drive North (keeping the Ocean on the left) and you will arrive at Hillary's boat harbour. Very busy on a weekend, especially sunday, so be warned as you might not get a car park space.

Mindarie Quays?
Keep heading North along Marmion Avenue, Mindarie is nice with multi million dollar homes around the harbour and a nice pub called The Boat.

Have fun.

Neil.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi

If you go to Freo, then weekends are market days and it is a lovely market.

For food in Freo I would recommend Bella Pasta Roma for an evening meal (try the Chilli Mussels, they are to die for) or if you fancy a mix of chinese dishes then the food court at the side of the Market and Sail & Anchor pub is lovely (pizza is nice from there too) and very reasonable (dont try the Mexican it is pooh!!). Also the Norfolk pub for lunch/evening meal is lovely - at the end of the Market place on the other side of the road.
If you fancy a posh nosh then go to the Mussel Bar on Freo Harbour but warning it is pricey. Recommend the seafood platter.
What about a game of Aussie Football (not sure on season but the Fremantle Dockers play there.
Also Fremantle prison tour is good, especially the night one. Go on their website for a discount token.

Rockingham I cant really comment on, only passed through but recommend Mandurah if you fancy another 20 mins on your journey. If you are lucky enough you may see the dolphins & it is worth it.
Nino's fish bar on the waterfront is yummy.

By the way not obsessed with food!!

Enjoy and hope this helps

Watty'n'arls