British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Here I come, whinging again........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/here-i-come-whinging-again-287679/)

Pollyana Mar 3rd 2005 10:50 am

Here I come, whinging again........

.....actually, no, maybe I won't this time! I know some people think a lot of my posts are whinging and negative, while others view them as realistic.
Well, heres a positive statement for you all........I love Australia! (well, this week, anyway)

We got off the plane in Melbourne yesterday and the weather was - and still is - fabulous! Its warm, but not Brisbane-type warm. The Bloke is finding it a little chilly, I'm just finding it British! Nice chilly morning, lovely slow sunrise, slow sunset tonight - it was still light at 8.30 (just) - and when put together with the beautiful scenery in this bit of Victoria.......well, I always knew I was lucky to be here, guess I just needed reminding. :)
Good company, good beer, good scenery, feeling really content. Long may it last. And thanks to Hevs and HUP and the children, for their hospitality and friendliness, which has cheered me up immensely :)

(and not a power cut in sight still......arghhhhh, some woman has just turned the lights out to wind me up!!!!)

Brissiegirl Mar 3rd 2005 10:54 am

Re: Here I come, whinging again........

glad you're having a good time Polly.. sounds fab.. enjoy! :) :beer:

artep Mar 3rd 2005 10:59 am

Enjoy your stay Polly......oh and if you see that famous red car driver.....poke him in the eye so he can't see to drive wiil ya? :D

Petra

Bordy Mar 3rd 2005 11:16 am

Sounds good Polly but where did you find the good company???? ;)

hevs Mar 3rd 2005 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Sounds good Polly but where did you find the good company???? ;)

Same place as you frequent :p

Petra, i'm gonna see if i can bribe her to knife the crouts tyres :D

FITCHETT FAMILY Mar 3rd 2005 11:29 am

Originally Posted by hevs

Hi Polly ,
I HATE YOU !!!!! LOL.
Only joking, glad your having a good time, wish we were there now, still waiting for that bloody envelope.
:) :beer:

markeh Mar 3rd 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
.....actually, no, maybe I won't this time! I know some people think a lot of my posts are whinging and negative, while others view them as realistic.
Well, heres a positive statement for you all........I love Australia! (well, this week, anyway)

We got off the plane in Melbourne yesterday and the weather was - and still is - fabulous! Its warm, but not Brisbane-type warm. The Bloke is finding it a little chilly, I'm just finding it British! Nice chilly morning, lovely slow sunrise, slow sunset tonight - it was still light at 8.30 (just) - and when put together with the beautiful scenery in this bit of Victoria.......well, I always knew I was lucky to be here, guess I just needed reminding. :)
Good company, good beer, good scenery, feeling really content. Long may it last. And thanks to Hevs and HUP and the children, for their hospitality and friendliness, which has cheered me up immensely :)

(and not a power cut in sight still......arghhhhh, some woman has just turned the lights out to wind me up!!!!)

Hiya Polly,

it's the good times that make it all worth while. :)

Bye
Mark

Bordy Mar 3rd 2005 12:10 pm

I might just frequent you on Monday night for an hour. ;)

ps, Will Matt be in this time. :D

moneypenny20 Mar 3rd 2005 1:28 pm

The bloke is never happy is he :D - if he's got the air con on 24/7 how can he find Melbourne in March chilly - silly sod :p

Don't drink tooooooo much, enjoy the racing and an added beg to the others - perleeease put the witchy evil eye on the german chin.

gajjitt Mar 3rd 2005 1:38 pm

Cool!! I'm so happy (jealous) for you. Glad that you are happy in Melbourne, good that you found good company too. I love beer and hot weather, I esp. like Victoria Bitter :beer:.

Wish it was us.... Hopefully someone will buy our flat, and we will be in Perth by May, yeah!!

Have fun and take care

Paul

Sandra Mar 3rd 2005 3:57 pm

Apart from being Jealous

I have changed jobs and have restricted access to internet so being on this time in the morning is on my own cost :scared:

anyway reason for this post.............my better! half states Melbourne is always cold (shiver) and only mad eejits live there.

Have an excellent time and enjoy the GP ....along with staying with the mad melbourne lot!

Cheers Sandra

Merlot Mar 3rd 2005 6:34 pm

So Pol, Melbourne is the place to move back too :D

Wonderful to hear your spirits being lifted!

M :D :D

NJJ Mar 3rd 2005 6:57 pm

good beer

You've found the Melbourne Bitter then :D

artep Mar 3rd 2005 7:31 pm

hehehehehe......that's the way.... :D If she wimps out...smuggle your chainsaw in an do it yourself!! You'll be a heroine!!!!!!!!! :D

HUP Mar 4th 2005 12:21 am

ps, Will Matt be in this time. :D

No I'm actually just a figment of her imagination :D.

Badge Mar 4th 2005 12:42 am

On arrival in Melbourne, I SMSed Polly to ask if she was cold. She said the weather was perfect...I happened to agree with her.

it was

Mon and Tue 35ish - (ish = disclaimer)
Wed and Thu 25ish , blue skies - the days Polly saw.

Now that is good weather!!!!

Now we have 20 and cloudy.

badge

hevs Mar 4th 2005 2:24 am

Originally Posted by HUP
No I'm actually just a figment of her imagination :D.

Some very strange imagination to dream you up :D

I'll try to arrange to get him there Bordy for a guest spot :D

Sand, tell Fagin to bugger off! Weirdos indeed :rolleyes: :p

steve99 Mar 4th 2005 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Badge
Now we have 20 and cloudy.

badge

20C surely not :scared: :scared:
Thats flippin freezing !

Just checked the weather channel it showed 19C cloudy with showers for Sat, 18C and a few showers for Sun and 21C and becoming fine for Monday...

I packed my suitcase to head over to the Grandprix last night, shorts and T'shirts, :rolleyes: think i'll dig out my winter woolies instead!!!

JayDeee Mar 4th 2005 2:50 am

Hi Polly,

So glad you are having a good time down there, sounds great, I am more and more thinking Melbourne is the place for us EXpats with the weather and all.

Enjoy the grand prix and the rest of you stay with the HEV/HUP clan

Have fun
Kala

Pollyana Mar 4th 2005 4:19 am

Originally Posted by steve99
20C surely not :scared: :scared:
Thats flippin freezing !

Just checked the weather channel it showed 19C cloudy with showers for Sat, 18C and a few showers for Sun and 21C and becoming fine for Monday...

I packed my suitcase to head over to the Grandprix last night, shorts and T'shirts, :rolleyes: think i'll dig out my winter woolies instead!!!

Its not freezing, its lovely - after the heat and humidity of Brisbane I am just finding it really pleasant.
Bordy, we will be still here on Monday, does this mean I get to meet you at last?

Still happy, still enjoying it, very very relaxed, give me another (Tassie) beer. :)

Bordy Mar 4th 2005 4:33 am

Its not freezing, its lovely - after the heat and humidity of Brisbane I am just finding it really pleasant.
Bordy, we will be still here on Monday, does this mean I get to meet you at last?

Still happy, still enjoying it, very very relaxed, give me another (Tassie) beer. :)

Yes I'll be there for an hour on Monday night Poll, then off to work I'm afraid.
Look forward to catching up with you.

Pollyana Mar 4th 2005 4:36 am

Yes I'll be there for an hour on Monday night Poll, then off to work I'm afraid.
Look forward to catching up with you.

I'll try and be on my worst behaviour........ :scared:

steve99 Mar 4th 2005 5:03 am

[QUOTE=Pollyana]Its not freezing, its lovely - after the heat and humidity of Brisbane I am just finding it really pleasant.
QUOTE]

Maybe as a respite to your Humidity, but i'll be freezing! In my book 25-28C is lovely, under 20C and your talking a naff British summers day!. (Perth Winter ;) ) as long as it doesnt rain I guess.

Enjoy the F1.

Steve :)

ozzieeagle Mar 4th 2005 5:21 am

Good to hear that the Interstate visitors are enjoying their visit, to this great city. Make sure whilst you are here that you visit as many restaurants as you can. My favourite eating area, is Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Possibly the best eating strip In Aussie, with Lots of places to eat, with many different types of cuisine on offer, in a Fantastic bohemian type atmosphere. All dirt cheap as well.

Back to the weather, Melbourne suits me, I just put a Windcheater type top on and started to sweat immediatly, bit of a diliema the clothing this evening.

One other throw away point, in the 20 years I've been here, I've only ever seen snow fall once in Inner Melbourne, that was for about 1/2 an hour, and it settled for about 2 hours.

Enjoy the grandprix, and hope It's not too expensive to go.

Pollyana Mar 4th 2005 5:29 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Good to hear that the Interstate visitors are enjoying their visit, to this great city. Make sure whilst you are here that you visit as many restaurants as you can. My favourite eating area, is Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Possibly the best eating strip In Aussie, with Lots of places to eat, with many different types of cuisine on offer, in a Fantastic bohemian type atmosphere. All dirt cheap as well.

Back to the weather, Melbourne suits me, I just put a Windcheater type top on and started to sweat immediatly, bit of a diliema the clothing this evening.

One other throw away point, in the 20 years I've been here, I've only ever seen snow fall once in Inner Melbourne, that was for about 1/2 an hour, and it settled for about 2 hours.

Enjoy the grandprix, and hope It's not too expensive to go.

We are working at the GP, so its free!!! :D
I've always loved Melbourne, been here three or four times now - this is the first time the weather has been so important,; I can feel myself coming back to life and getting my energy back!

We are eating in a high class restaurant tonight...."Chez Badge" and I'm told the serve good beer there as well. Think we should've booked for two weeks, not one!

steve99 Mar 4th 2005 5:36 am

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle] Make sure whilst you are here that you visit as many restaurants as you can. QUOTE]

I think we've got reservation at Becco and Bottega, any views?

ProofReader Mar 4th 2005 6:06 am

I'll try and be on my worst behaviour........ :scared:

Got some straws with you, Polly? ;) :D

teach Mar 4th 2005 6:27 am

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time, :beer: :beer: :beer:
Big Hugs
Sarah

ozzieeagle Mar 4th 2005 9:38 am

[QUOTE=steve99]

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Make sure whilst you are here that you visit as many restaurants as you can. QUOTE]

I think we've got reservation at Becco and Bottega, any views?

Sorry Steve, I've never been to either of those, had a quick google, they look very worthwhile. Tell me what you think of them afterwards :beer:

dmf Mar 4th 2005 9:59 am

Hi Polly,

Glad to read that you are having a good time and enjoying the weather amongst other things. Make the most of your time off.

See you next week, Dawn

:) :)

DagBoy Mar 4th 2005 10:32 am

....We are eating in a high class restaurant tonight...."Chez Badge"

I had not heard of that so I did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://therestaraunttheycallchezbadge.com.au

Here at Chez Badge we pride ourselves on only using the finest fresh ingredients. Each morning the sous chef sets off at 05.30 hrs to run to the local market and load up a rucksack (150Kg) of the finest Aussie produce. He then runs home via the local mountains (so he can work off some of that fat and keep his BMI to the optimal level), pausing to drop in at the local CFA and fight any fires that may be around, and prepares traditional Aussie food in the traditional Aussie way - baking items in a bush oven, fired by a couple of slow burning jumbucks.

All our meals are served in the traditional Jackaroo method (on the back of a dirt bike or sitting on a half sheared sheep) with the traditional "stubbie in a tasteless holder"
Sounds grouse to me - a real dinky di sort of place :)

Cheers DagBoy

ozzieeagle Mar 4th 2005 10:44 am

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers DagBoy

I couldnt bloody find it :( and your link doesn't work doh !

Where is it, I'm guessing southbank ?

soapy© Mar 4th 2005 10:50 am

its too cold !! its too fkn cold !!!!!!
i think ill visit myself to slap him :D
im glad you are feelin better pal and long may it last

soapy

tonyk38 Mar 4th 2005 3:37 pm

I really can't fault the Victorian climate. I like the mixture of temperatures and weather patterns. Glad you like it too!

Take care. :)

HiddenPaw Mar 4th 2005 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers DagBoy

PMSL..very funny!

HiddenPaw Mar 4th 2005 5:01 pm

Polly, great to hear Melbourne is fab for you. I will look out for you on the telly this weekend!!

Soooo wish I was there. Have a lovely time

HPx

Jimclevs Mar 5th 2005 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Polly, great to hear Melbourne is fab for you. I will look out for you on the telly this weekend!!

HPx

Looks like someone has put the mockers on the Chin - he's currently at about 20 on the grid for tomorrow.

Oh........ and its raining.

Jim

ProofReader Mar 5th 2005 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Looks like someone has put the mockers on the Chin - he's currently at about 20 on the grid for tomorrow.

Oh........ and its raining.

Jim

I think that was Polly! She must've done a rain dance or cast a spell to make it rain harder just a the 'right' time!! ;) :D

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

HPx

Ditto, HP, and I've been looking out for her too. Every time I see someone in white on the trackside, I say to MrPR, "Look, there she is", but he always misses her as the camera won't stay in place long enough!! Lol! ;) :D :D

'Ave one for us Polly! :beer:

Pollyana Mar 7th 2005 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ProofReader
I think that was Polly! She must've done a rain dance or cast a spell to make it rain harder just a the 'right' time!! ;) :D

Ditto, HP, and I've been looking out for her too. Every time I see someone in white on the trackside, I say to MrPR, "Look, there she is", but he always misses her as the camera won't stay in place long enough!! Lol! ;) :D :D

'Ave one for us Polly! :beer:

I had several me dear, as you will have seen by the drunken "back from the GP" post that Hevs and I did last night!
My prayers worked and the shoemaker didn't finish! Plus it threw it down with rain when he was qualifying!

I believe I did get on TV during Saturday, when we had a broken down car at our point which caught fire as we were about to push it! (yellow F1 - old Jordan colours)

Unfortunately we have to come back to Queensland tomorrow, when I shall possibly do a thread along the lines of "i love Melbourne and want to live here cos its COLD!!!!"