Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here comes summer. Here comes summer. Here comes summer.

Here comes summer. Here comes summer. Here comes summer.

Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here comes summer. Here comes summer. Here comes summer.

Funny having three summers in a row but I like it!

Spent today and yesterday in the garden working at clearing the place up, hit 23C and I fell asleep sunbathing in the hammock after lunch. Now all looks spic and span.

We got back from our Thai stopover to freezing temperatures and a foot of snow on the ground but our timing was perfect - yesterday the last of the snow melted in the morning and I was mowing the lawn in the afternoon where hours before had been ice!

It's been a terrible winter here so all the flowers and plants are bunched up together, we've got snowdrops and crocus flowering together with next week tulips, daffs and that yellow bush whose name I can't remember.

Plus all the fruit and ornamental trees should start flowering in about 10 days. Spring lasts about a month here, then we get 5 months of summer, typically 25-35C from end-April thru to early September.

Going to start my little 'dozer project in a neighbouring village (sorting out a bit of land for development) in a couple of weeks.

The gypsy kids cut holes in the fence on two sides but didn't steal anything this year. Or at least, nothing obvious that I can picture right now.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here comes summer. Here comes summer. Here comes summer.

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Funny having three summers in a row but I like it!

Spent today and yesterday in the garden working at clearing the place up, hit 23C and I fell asleep sunbathing in the hammock after lunch. Now all looks spic and span.

We got back from our Thai stopover to freezing temperatures and a foot of snow on the ground but our timing was perfect - yesterday the last of the snow melted in the morning and I was mowing the lawn in the afternoon where hours before had been ice!

It's been a terrible winter here so all the flowers and plants are bunched up together, we've got snowdrops and crocus flowering together with next week tulips, daffs and that yellow bush whose name I can't remember.

Plus all the fruit and ornamental trees should start flowering in about 10 days. Spring lasts about a month here, then we get 5 months of summer, typically 25-35C from end-April thru to early September.

Going to start my little 'dozer project in a neighbouring village (sorting out a bit of land for development) in a couple of weeks.

The gypsy kids cut holes in the fence on two sides but didn't steal anything this year. Or at least, nothing obvious that I can picture right now.
Sounds good! I've still not completely figured out your situation.... Your're British, but you live where you are now, but had a year? in NZ, and are also going back there? Or you live half the year in Europe, half the year in NZ??
EDIT: just saw your sig, so permanent NZ in 2005.

It was about 20 and sunny here yesterday too! Had lunch outside in t-shirt, city centre full of people sitting outside cafes!!

Today about 15...

And there's those flowers everywhere!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:10 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Simone82
Or you live half the year in Europe, half the year in NZ??
You got it already, so no need to clarify.

But the old '6 months here, 6 months there' scenario has got a lot going for it, including climate and some interesting tax benefits.

Probably best suited to retirees or people who can work from a PC anywhere.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

You got it already, so no need to clarify.

But the old '6 months here, 6 months there' scenario has got a lot going for it, including climate and some interesting tax benefits.

Probably best suited to retirees or people who can work from a PC anywhere.
Wow! Lucky! Yeah, won't be possible for most!

Work, money (we can't even afford one house yet!)
Though, my husband is graphic designer, I think he should be able to work from home, can't be that difficult.... I think he even could keep working for his boss here, at least untill he gets a job in Oz, and even though his boss really doesn't want to lose him, they both haven't brought it up...

My dad would love to do what you're doing when he's retired, mum doesn't know yet...
He had ideas about campervan in Oz, renting a flat here, stuff like that, hasn't thought deep about it yet though.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:52 pm
Don
Banned

I'm not in the happy 6 month club myself, Simone.

My job skills require interface!

BTW - another 23C scorcher today, might have to reconfigure the diary to allow a little summer activities!

Not bad for March.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

I'm not in the happy 6 month club myself, Simone.

My job skills require interface!

BTW - another 23C scorcher today, might have to reconfigure the diary to allow a little summer activities!

Not bad for March.
about 10 and pouring down with rain and gale force winds.... Luckily I was in the car, but my husband was biking as usual...

Have fun!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:31 pm
Don
Banned

Amazing but true: the little ditty 'There once was a mouse. Where? There on the stair!' etc sounds much better in Dutch.

Ik sprik gein nederlands...

(Don once had a Dutch girlfriend...)
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Amazing but true: the little ditty 'There once was a mouse. Where? There on the stair!' etc sounds much better in Dutch.

Ik sprik gein nederlands...

(Don once had a Dutch girlfriend...)
he he

Ik spreek geen Nederlands!
Actually, IK spreek WEL Nederlands

I can't think of the mouse one, is it for children? Cos I grew up (well...) in Oz, so....!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

It is called 'A Windmill In Old Amsterdam'

A mouse lived in a windmill in old Amsterdam
A windmill with a mouse in and he wasn't grousin'
He sang every morning, "How lucky I am,
Living in a windmill in old Amsterdam!"

I saw a mouse!
Where?
There on the stair!
Where on the stair?
Right there!
A little mouse with clogs on
Well I declare!
Going clip-clippety-clop on the stair
Oh yeah

This mouse he got lonesome, he took him a wife
A windmill with mice in, it's hardly surprisin'
She sang every morning, "How lucky I am,

First they had triplets and then they had quins
A windmill with quins in, and triplets and twins in
They sang every morning, "How lucky we are
Living in a windmill in Amsterdam, ya!"

The daughters got married and so did the sons
The windmill had christ'nin's when no one was list'nin'
They all sang in chorus, "How lucky we am

A mouse lived in a windmill, so snug and so nice
There's nobody there now but a whole lot of mice.

Hope you enjoyed that!

sandy
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Sandy.l

Hope you enjoyed that!

sandy

Thanks! I've never heard of it in my life! I called Pascal over to have a look, and he tried singing it translated and sort of remembers it!!
And I still don't!

It's annoying sometimes, being half/half. I'm definetly not completely dutch or completely Australian, there's lots of bits missing!!
But, it is great experiencing bits of both!!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:10 pm
Don
Banned

The first line is something like 'het war den ein maus', time for a search engine...
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

The first line is something like 'het war den ein maus', time for a search engine...

That would be 'er was eens een muis'
You sound more German!!

Found it! (Mokum is a dialect word for Amsterdam)

Een muis in de molen

Er was eens een muisje in mooi Amsterdam, die zat in een molen heel stiekum verscholen,
hij dacht bij zichzelf: "Wat is het toch fijn, een muis in een molen in Mokum te zijn."

Refrein:
Ik zag een muis! Waar?
Daar op de trap.
Waar op de trap?
Nou daar!
Een kleine muis op klompjes.
Nee, 't is geen grap,
't ging van klip-klipperder-klap op de trap.

Het muisje was eenzaam en zocht naar een vrouw, en piep zij de muis in het voorhuis ik trouw,
en toen zongen ze samen: wat is het toch fijn ...........

De muis kreeg een 5-ling en allen gezond, toen aten de muisjes beschuitjes met muisjes.
Ze zongen toen allen: wat is het toch fijn.............

De muizenfamilie werd vreselijk groot, de molenaar vluchtte hij was als de dood
voor de muizen die zongen: wat is het toch fijn.............

De muizen die hebben het best naar hun zin, de molen staat leeg en geen vrouw durft erin...
(pieieieieieieieieieieieieieieiep)
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:25 pm
Don
Banned

That klompjes gets me every time, it's one of the world's funniest words.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

I was trying to find a site where Simone could listen to it, as I'm sure she must have heard it. Rolf Harris must have covered it surely! Unfortunately, my pc crashed when I was looking! I'll try again.

sandy
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:42 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

That klompjes gets me every time, it's one of the world's funniest words.

the 'je' after a word means 'small' and the 's' makes it plural.
Klomp - clog
Klompen - cloggs (ok, so 'en' can mean plural as well)
Klompjes - small cloggs
Klompje - small clog

It's done with lots of words, muisjes(mice), groetjes (greetings), emailtje , hondje(dog), broodje (small bread)

Can you pronounce the 'g', like in 'geen'

I sometimes makes mistakes because words are a bit the same
I -ik
well - wel
good - goed
the - de (sometimes in Dutch I write the)
word - woord
you - jou/jij

Are you in Austria? Do you speak it(a bit?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.