Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hepB/TB immunisations for kids?

hepB/TB immunisations for kids?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough
Default hepB/TB immunisations for kids?

Have done searches and got plenty of info but still confused!
From what I have read it would seem that TB & HepB is routinely given to kids in Oz? But reading further I think it is only my youger child - d.o.b. may 2000 that would need both, as my, eldest- d.o.b. jan 1998, will have missed out, or does not need Hep b ?
Have no objections to the girls having both.
Was actually a bit 'miffed' that they did not meet the requirements for TB immunisation in the UK, bearing in mind that TB has been on the increase here for several years.
Anyone able to advise further? maybe an ozzi doc or HV
Cheers Liz
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: hepB/TB immunisations for kids?

in the UK you can get your kids jabbed for hep' A+B for free, just tell them your going to Russia or Asia. Adults need to pay.

TB. No they don't give them out anymore!!! *Gob-Smacked* unless your in a high risk area(inner city, high migration). I quizzed the nurse on this and got the official response of "It doesn't work....". I told her that was hard to believe given the decline of TB in Ireland since the Jab was introduced.

Anyway can't do anything about that, so I'm getting my kids the TB jab in Ireland when I visit family...

Reasons found on the web about the removal of the TB jab:

It dose not work!
Dispute about the cost of the drug to the NHS.

Make your own mind up,
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hepB/TB immunisations for kids?

We have just organised our kids' immunisations after our move over. Our eldest had already had his Hep B in Belgium and the 2 middle ones (1995 & 1998) will get them in secondary school. Our youngest 2002 has missed out on that program as it is being phased out now that babies are given the HepB as part of their immunisations so she had hers before starting school.
Hope that helps and if you have any queires contact the immunisation register who can tell you what they need and what is given when.
http://www1.hic.gov.au/general/acircirghome
Nicky
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
in the UK you can get your kids jabbed for hep' A+B for free, just tell them your going to Russia or Asia. Adults need to pay.

TB. No they don't give them out anymore!!! *Gob-Smacked* unless your in a high risk area(inner city, high migration). I quizzed the nurse on this and got the official response of "It doesn't work....". I told her that was hard to believe given the decline of TB in Ireland since the Jab was introduced.

Anyway can't do anything about that, so I'm getting my kids the TB jab in Ireland when I visit family...

Reasons found on the web about the removal of the TB jab:

It dose not work!
Dispute about the cost of the drug to the NHS.

Make your own mind up,
It doesn't work very well, which is why the yanks dont give it. It has up to approx 60% efficacy......up to I think 10 yrs after the jab? Cant remember - the TB lecture was several years ago..so will work for about 1/2 the population for some of the time.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough

Thanks all for your replies, think I will discuss hep B with the practice nurse, and take it from there.
Had no idea that TB immunisation was so unreliable, not worth doing if only 60% of population covered & only covered for max of 10 yrs!!
That prob means I'm not immune anymore! Havent had it checked since started nursing - 20 yrs ago
Bit of a worry though! Must get my books out again, what are the symptoms?
Weight loss, night sweats, cough - if pulmonary TB. Not nice!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barney99
Thanks all for your replies, think I will discuss hep B with the practice nurse, and take it from there.
Had no idea that TB immunisation was so unreliable, not worth doing if only 60% of population covered & only covered for max of 10 yrs!!
That prob means I'm not immune anymore! Havent had it checked since started nursing - 20 yrs ago
Bit of a worry though! Must get my books out again, what are the symptoms?
Weight loss, night sweats, cough - if pulmonary TB. Not nice!
You could be immune....cos about half the pop are after 10 yrs or so.

Given the choice, I'd have it done, but with the realisation that it may not cover me or cover me well.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Barney99
Have done searches and got plenty of info but still confused!
From what I have read it would seem that TB & HepB is routinely given to kids in Oz? But reading further I think it is only my youger child - d.o.b. may 2000 that would need both, as my, eldest- d.o.b. jan 1998, will have missed out, or does not need Hep b ?
Have no objections to the girls having both.
Was actually a bit 'miffed' that they did not meet the requirements for TB immunisation in the UK, bearing in mind that TB has been on the increase here for several years.
Anyone able to advise further? maybe an ozzi doc or HV
Cheers Liz
Hi liz Iam a practice nurse in Australia and a nurse immuniser .We only vaccinate agaist Hep b in Aussie ,your youngest child can get it free when you arrive if you have a medicare card.You will need to go to your GP so they can order the catch up vaccinations for the youngest child. Your other child will have to wait until the age of 13.You can pay for your oldest child who will require 3 doses at about $16 a dose. Cheers Sharron (Kevins Wife.)
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:56 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We moved over from Canada and have had to work out what the kids have and didn't have.

My 3 year old was up to date with all her shots except for the HepB. I don't think they do that in Canada until they are older. But in Oz they have the HepB grouped in with some of their shots between 1-2 years old I think. So she has had to have get the HepB shots specially ordered so they're not bundled together. All of her shots have been free at her doctors office.

My 1 year old was way behind on his shots, but he was also behind in Canada too (long story). So they just looked at what he had already done and where he was supposed to be. They came up with a catch up schedule to get him up to date. He's been there about 3 times already and I think he's pretty much caught up. I haven't had to pay anything for him either.

I don't remember seeing the TB shots mentioned so I'll have to look for that one.

As a side note, even for routine immunizations they only work effectively in about 95% (not sure of the exact number) of people. For example, I had the MMR shot when I was little. Before I had my second child I was told that I was not protected for Rubella. So it appeared to have worn off at some point in time, possible after the first kid and before the second. I had to have another MMR after my son was born. Oddly enough my mother also had to have one after she had her first child.