Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

helpful if you are feeling a bit anxious

helpful if you are feeling a bit anxious

Old Dec 19th 2004, 7:13 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default helpful if you are feeling a bit anxious

we are moving out of our house in jan and going to Oz in Feb, and as the dates are getting closer, and the goodbyes are starting, the harder its been getting.. Im normally quite a confident person, with a "no worries" attitude towards a lot of things in life, but lately ive felt as though im cracking up!! feeling sick, pins and needles, dizzy or faint,trouble sleeping, thinking 'are we doing the right thing', such a huge move and all that, and i really was starting to think i was going mad but i went on the nhs website www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk and looked under the health encyclopedia under stress (hate that word) and there were my symptoms... im not mad afterall !!! and it gives you exercises on relaxation techniques, there is also a link to www.mind.org.uk which also has hints and tips on managing stress..

i hope no-ones offended by this post, just thought it could help other people who may be feeling the same..
im off to try my new found relaxation exercises and hopefully get a good nights

fiona x
Old Dec 19th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: helpful if you are feeling a bit anxious

Thanks Fiona,

No your not cracking up, I have felt like that at times. The first step is recognising it! I have had crazy nightmares, one night I was running from the Zombie people from "Dawn of the Dead". The next night I was the only female in the world to survive the Zombies and was kept locked up as a "protected species" it got worse though as the next night I got chased and bitten by a Zombie...... It was horrific I never wanted to go to sleep, but the stress has bought on a huge spell of tiredness- Catch 22.
The only part of the stress I have enjoyed is eating relentlessly and not putting on an pound! But that was soon to change as things got better!
Take care and thanks for the website.
Nancy
Old Dec 19th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Thanks for that Fiona,
That's exactly how I've been feeling! We leave in a couple of weeks-had our farewell bash last night- and I'm definately feeling stressed. Have been losing weight and not sleeping, questioning myself why we're doing this when we have a perfectly good life here and feeling like I have so much to do I just don't know where to start. Just wish we were about 9 months down the line from now........jobs, nice house, happy children and my parents coming to stay...
I will go check out your web links
Good luck!
Yv
P.S. Where are you heading in Oz
Old Dec 19th 2004, 7:54 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

its a relief to know you are not the only one !!! i honestly never believed i would react this way !!! but i suppose youve got to remember, its not just accross town your moving !!!!!

we're off to Mildura which is about 4 hrs east of Adelaide, 7 hrs north of Melbourne... if you are into your Aussie wine, then Lindemans is made there, and Wolf blass isnt far away either..handy
where you off to ?
Old Dec 19th 2004, 8:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this helpful too - Culture Shock can be as truamatic as stress.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181996
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
its a relief to know you are not the only one !!! i honestly never believed i would react this way !!! but i suppose youve got to remember, its not just accross town your moving !!!!!

we're off to Mildura which is about 4 hrs east of Adelaide, 7 hrs north of Melbourne... if you are into your Aussie wine, then Lindemans is made there, and Wolf blass isnt far away either..handy
where you off to ?
Have you been to Mildura before? It's very isolated, though I'm sure it's very nice. You have large national parks nearby protecting the mallee and desert flora and fauna, and the Murray-Darling river on your doorstep.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

where you off to ?

Ahhhh someone else going rural...kinda

We are in Bendigo, about 4 hrs from you heading towards Melbourne. My sister was up there a few years ago doing some grape picking and says its a beautiful area. I havent been to Mildura since I was really little.

Are you moving there for work or family? Or just because you liked the look of it??

Hels
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:49 pm
Made the move -

Originally Posted by Hels
Ahhhh someone else going rural...kinda

We are in Bendigo, about 4 hrs from you heading towards Melbourne. My sister was up there a few years ago doing some grape picking and says its a beautiful area. I havent been to Mildura since I was really little.

Are you moving there for work or family? Or just because you liked the look of it??

Hels
Yeah we've been to Mildura a few times, its absolutley gorgeous !! and not as small as you think, we got a surprise the first time we were there at how big it is, but yeah once you are outside the place, theres nothing but bush for miles !!!! my mums sister is there and all my cousins are there, and the added advantage of hubby having a job offer as well so thats why we are starting off there, my first choice would have been Melbourne as is so beautiful but the country life sounds good as well...and cost of living is unbelievably cheap !!!!!!!!
stopped in Bendigo on our way up to Mildura, along with Ballarat (cold place) and further up, Swan Hill which is another lovely place !!!!

Pollyanna, thanks for the link, off to read it now !!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

where you off to ?
'Fraid your websites didn't work last night Tossed and turned until well after 2 am then woke about 4 for a while then up at 5.45 as daughter was going to hosp for an op. Am absolutely shattered tonight so I am trying some alternative remedies (voddie and orange ) We are heading to Perth 6th Jan. Hubbies mum has been to Mildura to visit her old school friend and loved it. Very pretty according to her. Where are you in rainy Scotland? I'm originally from Kirkcaldy. Hubby from North Berwick.
Yv
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:17 pm
Made the move -

Originally Posted by YFitz
'Fraid your websites didn't work last night Tossed and turned until well after 2 am then woke about 4 for a while then up at 5.45 as daughter was going to hosp for an op. Am absolutely shattered tonight so I am trying some alternative remedies (voddie and orange ) We are heading to Perth 6th Jan. Hubbies mum has been to Mildura to visit her old school friend and loved it. Very pretty according to her. Where are you in rainy Scotland? I'm originally from Kirkcaldy. Hubby from North Berwick.
Yv
Oh nightmare !! Is your daughter ok ?? Cant even begin to imagine how you must be feeling..hope everythings ok...
im pretty calm today, but tomorrow who knows, i keep trying the 'slow breathing' malarky, but its not easy !!!!
yeah, Milduras def worth a visit, i hope we'll be happy there
anyhow, we are in Lanarkshire (hamilton) and for a change the weathers quite nice...nice and frosty although i think the temp to dip to minus 3 tonight !!!!
anyway, eally hope you have a better sleep tonight...and let me know how your daughter is !!!

fiona
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh nightmare !! Is your daughter ok ?? Cant even begin to imagine how you must be feeling..hope everythings ok...
im pretty calm today, but tomorrow who knows, i keep trying the 'slow breathing' malarky, but its not easy !!!!
yeah, Milduras def worth a visit, i hope we'll be happy there
anyhow, we are in Lanarkshire (hamilton) and for a change the weathers quite nice...nice and frosty although i think the temp to dip to minus 3 tonight !!!!
anyway, eally hope you have a better sleep tonight...and let me know how your daughter is !!!

fiona
Yeah she's fine! see the thread about "warning- kids with glue ears" that I posted this morning. She didn't come round from the anaesthetic as well as she usually does (it was her 4th general anaesthetic) and was really grumpy. The Dr told her all the cctv cameras had a direct link to Santa who kept an eye on all the children to check they were good patients good one! She was ok until we were ready to come home then she fainted because the vein where they took the candula out started to spurt blood over the floor. Lovely. Anyway is fine now with all the goo removed from her ears, new grommet in place and hopefully no probs with flying.
I think I went to a party in Hamilton once
Yv x
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:31 pm
Made the move -

Originally Posted by YFitz
Yeah she's fine! see the thread about "warning- kids with glue ears" that I posted this morning. She didn't come round from the anaesthetic as well as she usually does (it was her 4th general anaesthetic) and was really grumpy. The Dr told her all the cctv cameras had a direct link to Santa who kept an eye on all the children to check they were good patients good one! She was ok until we were ready to come home then she fainted because the vein where they took the candula out started to spurt blood over the floor. Lovely. Anyway is fine now with all the goo removed from her ears, new grommet in place and hopefully no probs with flying.
I think I went to a party in Hamilton once
Yv x

Oh poor thing !! oh well, at least its over and done with for Christmas !!!
anyway, im off to bed now...and dream of nice warm places !!!!!
(and i'll try again with this relaxing breathing again, see if i can get it right!)
hope you get a good rest tonight!
fee x