Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Helpful advice please

Helpful advice please

Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

karlyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helpful advice please

We have made the decision to go to Oz. But we need help, do we need an agent? How much do they cost? Do we need jobs before we go? Do we rent or buy a house at first? Do we do this before we go? how do we do this? Are there any areas of the country to avoid? How are the wages compared with over here? I think that may be enough for now, but I'm sure we'll have some more before long. Thanks guys
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helpful advice please

Originally posted by karlyb
We have made the decision to go to Oz. But we need help, do we need an agent? How much do they cost? Do we need jobs before we go? Do we rent or buy a house at first? Do we do this before we go? how do we do this? Are there any areas of the country to avoid? How are the wages compared with over here? I think that may be enough for now, but I'm sure we'll have some more before long. Thanks guys
take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of shiraz and relax. You've got a long wait ahead, but don't worry, you don't need all the answers tonight!

Welcome to the Forum Karlyb & family!

sandy

ps. to start you off, you don't need an agent.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

I'm really sorry about this, but I've just seen where you are from and in my head, I immediately sang

'it's 'ard being a cowboy in Rochdale, cos spurs don't fit right on yer clogs'

I'm really sorry, some may call it racist(!) but I actually have really fond memories of that record (Mike Harding for those who don't know).

once again, really sorry!!!

sandy
Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

dawn a is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karlb

I have sent you a message - check 'my forum' top of the screen

da
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by karlyb
Hi

It can be a very good idea to Rent first, that gives you time to look around and take your time in buying the Right house.

A job to get straight into would be nice, but that doesnt happen very often. Most people seem to bring sufficient funds to last them a fair while just in case. See these threads:

Would you come to OZ without an immediate job prospect and How soon did you find work in OZ

Wages are generally lower, see Real wages of Australians
and
How do regular Aussies survive