Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help ! What options are available ?

Help ! What options are available ?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help ! What options are available ?

First of all please excuse my bad spelling

Right, been lurking on here for some time but have not posted anything, mainly because we were not ready to come over !

We are a English couple, with 2 kids and 2 dogs living over the Tasmin in NZ.

Now, our plan was to live the rest of our lives in NZ but thats not going to happen, long story short ! Started in Auckland, Mrs flew out expecting, had our 2nd child over here, we both missed our family and moved back to the UK !
A week latter we moved from the UK to Christchurch (South Island) and have beed here for just coming up to 2 years, 3 years in total !

Now we can apply for our NZ Citezenship but at the moment it is taking 12+ months for the application to be processed, which is fine we could wait, well we could have but it looks like I might have landed my dream job and the company want to fly me out for a interview this week. Its in Brisy which is the place we want to be.

Couple of questions

I have or could get my IRRV for NZ so if it all turned bad I could come back here, but one type of visa would the company go for ? Would it be a 457 ?

Whats the bad point of the 457 visa if any.

What would my best visa option be ?

If I brought my dogs to Oz is there any restrictions ?

Is it safer to just wait for Citezenship

Thanks in advance

Ben

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Aug 20th 2006 at 7:45 am.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help ! What options are available ?

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
First of all please excuse my bad spelling

Right, been lurking on here for some time but have not posted anything, mainly because we were not ready to come over !

Now, our plan was to live the rest of our lives in NZ but thats not going to happen, long story short ! Started in Auckland, Mrs flew out expecting, had our 2nd child over here, we both missed our family and moved back to the UK !
A week latter we moved from the UK to Christchurch (South Island) and have beed here for just coming up to 2 years, 3 years in total !

Now we can apply for our NZ Citezenship but at the moment it is taking 12+ months for the application to be processed, which is fine we could wait, well we could have but it looks like I might have landed my dream job and the company want to fly me out for a interview this week. Its in Brisy which is the place we want to be.

Couple of questions

I have or could get my IRRV for NZ so if it all turned bad I could come back here, but one type of visa would the company go for ? Would it be a 457 ?

Thanks in advance

Ben
No idea, sorry, but you would probably get really sensible answers by reposting on the immigration forum. More migration experts there. Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:48 am
D&W
Forum Regular

D&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We are also in NZ and just got our NZ citizenship. It took about 8 months in total, much faster than expected.

Bringing dogs to NZ to OZ is no problem. We will bring our 2 dogs to Melbourne in 4 weeks time and got a quote for about NZD 1500.00 (door to door)

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D&W
Hi,

We are also in NZ and just got our NZ citizenship. It took about 8 months in total, much faster than expected.

Bringing dogs to NZ to OZ is no problem. We will bring our 2 dogs to Melbourne in 4 weeks time and got a quote for about NZD 1500.00 (door to door)

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for that, who have you got to do the removals and how much did it cost ? If you don't mind me asking !
Also who have you used for the dogs and could I have the phone number ?

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Aug 20th 2006 at 7:48 am.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:10 am
D&W
Forum Regular

D&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that, who have you got to do the removals and how much did it cost ? If you don't mind me asking !
Also who have you used for the dogs and could I have the phone number ?

THe shipping company we have chosen is called Budget Moving International. They are located at the Auckland airport. The quote we got for AKL to Brisbane is $6000. Don't know whether it is cheap or not. We didn't have much time to get more quotes.
The dogs are going to be shipped with www.petman.co.nz
We got them recommended from one BE, who has used both companies and was happy with them.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 3:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of questions

I have or could get my IRRV for NZ so if it all turned bad I could come back here
Make sure you do get your RRV for New Zealand if you decide to leave. Your New Zealand born daughter is a New Zealand citizen, so she needs a NZ passport rather than an RRV.

Be aware that even with an RRV:
- you get no rights in Australia
- if you have children born in Australia they can't automatically be added to the RRV (and they won't be NZ citizens). You'd have to sponsor them to migrate to NZ (they wouldn't be Australian citizens unless you had Australian permanent residence).
- if you do have to return to NZ, you might need to wait for citizenship starting from scratch and under the new residence requirement of 5 years.

but one type of visa would the company go for ? Would it be a 457 ?
That's probably the one they will want to go for. A risky option for the employee. You should consider insisting on a permanent visa instead (and be prepared to say no to the job if they can't or won't sponsor for permanent residence).

Lots. Read post #15 in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391044

If you do decide to leave NZ, if you and your employer meet certain requirements you could be sponsored for a permanent employer nominated migration visa (ENS).

Download and read booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books5.htm

There are requirements that must be met by both employer and employee. A job offer on its own won't do.

ENS still takes a few months for the visa, plus some extra time for approval of the sponsorship and a skill assessment for the employee (it varies greatly).

Don't know.

Unless you have a permanent Australian migration visa stamped in your passport, probably yes.

With a New Zealand passport you can live freely in Australia. You'd still need to qualify for permanent residence to get full PR rights, but you would have much more bargaining power with an employer compared to 457 holders (who are in a really vulnerable position if job doesn't work out).

However, applicants for NZ citizenship are expected to intend to remain resident in NZ. You can change your mind afterwards but make sure you do this only after being sworn in, not before.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 20th 2006 at 3:43 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.

Going to sort out our NZ IRRV this week so all good there.

I have found out that it will be the ENS route so again all good there as well !

Just waiting now for a time to fly out for the interview, fingers crossed.

By the way, I liked Northlakes

Thanks everyone

Ian