Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! What to do??? Am so confused.

HELP! What to do??? Am so confused.

Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AM I BEING SELFISH FOR WANTING TO TRY OZ AGAIN 2ND TIME ROUND??

Originally Posted by Centurion
Aside from the fact you've already asked this before. Let's be honest you didn't really emigrate the first time round. 1 month is not really migration. Its a holiday.

The first few months are the "honeymoon" period for many. If you jacked it in then, what's so different in Queensland that couldn't do in Adelaide. Whilst you may have had a bad experience with friends, what stopped you from leaving them and just getting on with it.

What ever you decide, good luck to you. But if your going to do it, make it work and take the attitude of not going back and working through the initial problems, and there will be some - there is for everyone.
I've had rashes for longer than a month ...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just go on your own? Your hubby sounds like a dead-weight I'm sorry to say . . . Plenty more fish in the sea.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i move teenager to OZ or not??

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi

thinking of returning to OZ and have 3 children aged 3, 12 and 14. But my 14 year old daughter isnt keen.

Also i have the worry of moving whilst she is doing her last 2 years in high school.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and do teenages tend to adapt easily or am i just fighting a losing battle???
To be honest I think you are going to get a better response if you stick to one thread, yes it may go off topic like most threads do but you wont get any better advice by starting lots of threads, in fact people may start to shut off. The bottom line is what happened in the past is done and dusted, you cannot move forward while you are continuing to carry this emotional baggage and resentment for what happened to you first time round.

Draw a line under it and start by talking to your husband, if he doesnt want to go, if your kids dont want to go then your team is divided. Australia is just a country, it may be unfinished business to you but to your family it is finished and they perhaps want to enjoy the life they have where they have it now.

Imagine if you persuaded them to move back and you felt so desperately homesick and wanted to come back and they didnt, say your teenager was happy and didnt want to come back with you? Noone on here can give you the answer that you want, your husband can tell you what he wants and so can your teenager but to be honest, if they are not on your side then you stand alone and that is a very lonely situation to be in.

Talk about it once and for all, better that than to chip away at them to get what you want.

If they say no, perhaps accept it - then start to look at the life you have now, what you have now and who in your life is important and start to build on it, to make it better. Australia is hardly going to be a better place for your family if your husband doesnt want to go back.

Your health, your children, your husband, a job, a roof over your head - the rest can be worked on. Only you can make you happy within and if you cant find that in the UK, you sure as hell are not going to find it in another country.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Mar 11th 2011 at 3:49 am.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest I think you are going to get a better response if you stick to one thread, yes it may go off topic like most threads do but you wont get any better advice by starting lots of threads, in fact people may start to shut off.

The bottome line is what happened in the past is done and dusted, you cannot move forward while you are continuing to carry this emotional baggage and resentment for what happened to you first time round.

Draw a line under it and start by talking to your husband, if he doesnt want to go, if your kids dont want to go then your team is divided.

Australia is just a country, it may be unfinished business to you but to your family it is finished and they perhaps want to enjoy the life they have where they have it now.

Imagine if you persuaded them to move back and you felt so desperately homesick and wanted to come back and they didnt, say your teenager was happy and didnt want to come back with you?

Noone on here can give you the answer that you want, your husband can tell you what he wants and so can your teenager but to be honest, if they are not on your side then you stand alone and that is a very lonely situation to be in.

Talk about it once and for all, better that than to chip away at them to get what you want.

If they say no, perhaps accept it - then start to look at the life you have now, what you have now and who in your life is important and start to build on it, to make it better.

Australia is hardly going to be a better place for your family if your husband doesnt want to go back.

Your health, your children, your husband, a job, a roof over your head - the rest can be worked on. Only you can make you happy within and if you cant find that in the UK, you sure as hell are not going to find it in another country.
Very true PP . . . there's no 'I' in 'TEAM'.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are. By reading your other threads it seems you are the only one who wants to go.

As my very wise mother would say..."Shit or get off the pot"
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Umm, is it Groundhog Day?
Made me giggle. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Am i being selfish for wanting to try again or should i just stay here in the UK and forget about oz??
I'm giggling at some of the comments but

Yes, you should try again because it's bugging you, and if you don't you will go to your grave wondering what could have been.

You are suffering from once bitten, twice shy. Unfortunately, no matter what any of us say you will not know unless you come here and you roll the dice.

There's a risk it won't work out but on the bright-side, you will know that you gave it a go and have inner-peace.

If it does work out we can rib you about your posts.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ebo1608

Yes, you should try again because it's bugging you, and if you don't you will go to your grave wondering what could have been.

You are suffering from once bitten, twice shy. Unfortunately, no matter what any of us say you will not know unless you come here and you roll the dice.

There's a risk it won't work out but on the bright-side, you will know that you gave it a go and have inner-peace.

Giggling?! This poor woman's future is being decided by a bunch of muffin-tops on an internet forum . . . and you're giggling!

Last edited by spartacus; Mar 11th 2011 at 4:24 am.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:26 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Also i have the worry of moving whilst she is doing her last 2 years in high school.
Had the same here altho my daughter (15 then) was only too happy to move.

Schools are backward here (in **MY** exp anyway) so they'll be almost going back a year or so if you go for the year they 'should' be in.

My daughter walked from school in grade 11 as it was the thing to do! All her mates were leaving for TAFE courses or to get jobs, but the school didn't give a shite for her future if you ask me. She recently did an 'at home' course over 3 months to get her into the double degree she wants to do. HAD to get 85%+ on 2 tests and got 90%+ on both so will be sourcing her Uni any time now.

Son dropped out of grade 11 too, for the same reasons, but with a move to new area he's now back at school doing grade 12 as we speak and wants to do an Architect degree, but will be needing an OP of 4 or above to get a place. Tall order, but he's got his head down and doin well so good luck to him I say ...

Both settled very well / easy so wouldn't worry. I still laugh about when his mate would knock the door and ask for 'English' ...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608

The problem is that her husband doesnt want to go.Unless they split up that sounds like the end of it.To return after four weeks indicates to me that they havent got the bottle.Fair enough.Immigration isnt for everyone.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:31 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Giggling?! This poor woman's future is being decided by a bunch of muffin-tops on an internet forum . . . and you're giggling!
Sparty, I do not have muffin tops Ill have you know, I have breast tops.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:45 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
Whoa whoa whoa! You just called her hubby a "dead-weight"

I hereby crown thee King Muffin Top of Sparta.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Whoa whoa whoa! You just called her hubby a "dead-weight"

I hereby crown thee King Muffin Top of Sparta.
Somehow, it sounds much worse the way you say it.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Only you can answer that question really - looks like you've been here before? For what it's worth my eldest turned 14 just after we arrived and it has been the best thing that ever happened to him. His school here is SO much better than his school in a good area in England - everyone has a different opinion on that one I know, but schools vary here like everywhere. I am always puzzled by people's assurances that English schools are better - ok, I'm not English but my kids all went to school there and compared to where I come from I thought they were pretty crap. Anyway, I digress. My son has had so many more opportunities here , both in school and outside, and I like the fact that now, aged 17, his life doesn't revolve around trying to get into pubs because it's too bloody cold outside to do anything else. If you can swing it with school years so your daughter can do the last two years here (HSC in NSW, don't know about elsewhere) she will be in a school situation where it's easier to make friends. If she is adamant she doesn't want to come though I guess you will have to find a workable solution for your family. Good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:40 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Umm, is it Groundhog Day?
Ah, the movie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.