Reload this Page >

Help We Are Not Sure

Help We Are Not Sure

Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help We Are Not Sure

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Go for it man, what the hell are you worried about, if you are on a good package you could pay for private school if you are that worried!

Schooling is not down to money anyway, if kids are brought up to learn, and want too you will have no problem anywhere!!!

If you are worried about a social life, just don't buy a house more than 10k's from the cbd, and make sure you are close to a train station.

Brisvegas is a fantastic place to come and live and work, think yourself lucky you have the option, how many othey poor bas***ds would die for the opportunity???

Go for it man, you can always go back!!!
Great encouragement thanks !

My package is £85K + Car + Super, its not a top package but I think a fairly good one, I would also appreciate your advice on that. . . .

We have been looking at Warner/Petrie/Strathpine are to live, any advice would be a god send ?

Cheers Swooty
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:57 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say tha $85 K plus car is pretty good in Australia - and the tax man won't hit you for having a company car!

Even if the car is on leasebvack you'll be clearing $1000 a week!

Not too bad in my humble opinion!

A
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:58 pm
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swooty
Hello all, we are Simon (33), Lottie (28) Megan (4) and Finlay (2). I have received a fantastic job ofer to relocate to Brisbane, including a very good package. We have a young family and currenlty have a week or two to confirm if we are to go or not. I am looking for general advice and HELP as to what people think. Typically we are worried about Schooling for the kids and socailising for us, so we dont get to home sick.

Please, the more advice the better.
If it appeals to you and you've discussed it with the family and they are prepared to give it a go, then go for it. Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all. i feel oz will have far more to offer you and your children as they are growing up than the uk, but that just my opinion. rachel and myself are relocating to the gold coast in January and we are both really nervous about it. Neither of us have jobs set up or have family or friends in Oz to support us. We'll really be winging it. It's something that we want to try so we're going for it. At the end of the day if things don't work out then at least we tried to live the dream. Good luck anyway i'm sure when you have discussed things propery with the family you'll come to the right decision.

Barry
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I have to say tha $85 K plus car is pretty good in Australia - and the tax man won't hit you for having a company car!

Even if the car is on leasebvack you'll be clearing $1000 a week!

Not too bad in my humble opinion!

A
Thanks for the advice

One of the things I am trying to find out is the level of Tax I would pay on a Car ? Can anyone give an example ?

I forgot to mention Full Medical Cover for the Family, Sponsored Visa, Flights for the family and full removal costs.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:03 pm
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice

Thanks for the advice

One of the things I am trying to find out is the level of Tax I would pay on a Car ? Can anyone give an example ?

I forgot to mention Full Medical Cover for the Family, Sponsored Visa, Flights for the family and full removal costs.

WOW. I don't suppose you need an apprentice

Barry
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barry f
WOW. I don't suppose you need an apprentice

Barry
Cant so I do Barry, however we would be looking to relocate in January also so best meet up and have a if we decide to go
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:10 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice

WHAT !??!

Jesus - are you really even considering it!! Just get on the plane and go you idiot!!

Hang on a minute...I'll get you some details about taxataion and I'll post them here in 5 mins...

....Just talk amonget yourself for a few minutes......
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:19 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Here is the tax calculator from the ATO, give you a rough idea what you'll be taking home! some tips for filling it in:

You will probably get payed weekly - 95% of Australian jobs are payed weekly (not monthly like in the UK) Some older companies pay fortnightly!

You can prob claim the tax free threshold, but only one of you will be able to claim it - if you claim it, your other half won't be able to if she works etc.

You will not have to pay the extra medicare levy if you have porivate insurance (and you siad you will have it as part of your contract).

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcal...ndard_hire.asp

the car deal -

the tax man does not hit you near as hard in Australia as in the UK. In my job the companies that I work for always provide me with a car - its pretty standard really for my industry.

I am an australian and in Aus I ALWAYS take the car - no question. It is sometimes actually a TAX BENEFIT TO have a company car (even if you are on a leaseback scheme)

for example, my last company took the lease fee out for my car BEFORE they calculated the tax - ie, say you are earning $10,000 per month (gross) and your car lease is $1000 a month. They will take the $1000 out of your GROSS pay - you therefore get your car payed for and only pay income tax on the remaining $9,000. Make sense!

the other common alternative is the novated lease - where you lease a car from a car lease company and it is registered and insured etc in your name (rather than being in your employers name). Say you are paying $300 a week for the car, in the novated system your employer would agree to take this from your GROSS income on a weekly basis, so similar to the above, reducing the income tax you pay and, under this scheme, YOU can own the car after the set lease period.

either way you look at it it works out well worth it!

My last company even payed for ALL my fuel - including my private fuel - so I basically had a car for free, with free fuel and it reduced the tax I was paying!

the tax man in australia sure is a friendly chap!!

I have been working in the UK for the past 3 years and NEVER take the car option here - I always take the cash alternative because the tax man hits you too hard otherwise!

My advice would be to ALWAYS take the car in Australia and NEVER take the car if you are working in the UK!!

SUMMARY:

If I were you - and depending on your family circumstances - I would jump at the deal - I live half my life in England and half in australia and, to me, the deal you have been offered looks like a pretty sweet ride!

Flights etc payed for (does this include shipping all your personal stuff)

medical included, car (which is a good deal)

plus a decent salary!!1

Most of the headaches that many people face you have already overcome (ie, you have a job, a car, medical and all the costs of moving taken care of!) you would be made to miss the opportunity!!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:23 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

If you have any more questions then throw them on here - but I am sure that many MANY people who use this forum would love to have the deal you have been offered! Many people go through the hopps and costs (thousands of pounds and sometimes years) to get a visa, they save to pay all their travel and shipping costs, then when they arrive they don't have a job, car or house to go to - they just wing it!

I think that you're deal is pretty good!

At the end of the day though the decision has to be yours - there are people on here who move out there with their company and hate it! Others move out there and LOVE it!

I guess the big question for you is - will you be able to live with yourself if you turn it down!!???

Cheers - see you for a schooner on the coast! Look me up when you get to Australia!

A
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
If you have any more questions then throw them on here - but I am sure that many MANY people who use this forum would love to have the deal you have been offered! Many people go through the hopps and costs (thousands of pounds and sometimes years) to get a visa, they save to pay all their travel and shipping costs, then when they arrive they don't have a job, car or house to go to - they just wing it!

I think that you're deal is pretty good!

At the end of the day though the decision has to be yours - there are people on here who move out there with their company and hate it! Others move out there and LOVE it!

I guess the big question for you is - will you be able to live with yourself if you turn it down!!???

Cheers - see you for a schooner on the coast! Look me up when you get to Australia!

A
Andy

Many thanks you've been a great help !

It seems crazy that i've spent 6 months trying to get this job, and now i've got it nerves have taken over, suppose i'm looking for reassurance.

Thanks again, you bet i'll look you up !
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:48 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

thats OK, if there is anything I can do to help just let me know!

Like I said before, I'm an australian who moved to the UK 3 years ago (and sorta live half half) - we are going back to Australia this August for a couple of years.

I sorta klnow how you feel, having first made that move to the UK, and even now going back to australia its a little unnerving because there is that element of uncertainty about it!

It is a lot easier than you think to move countries! Honestly! No different than it you got a job in Scotland and had to pakc up your house, move the kids and take the missus!

Easy-peasey! ... and this is from someone doing it for hte second time!!!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:23 pm
nearly there

Cant so I do Barry, however we would be looking to relocate in January also so best meet up and have a if we decide to go
sounds like a plan.

Barry
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

HFamily will become famous soon enough

Hello all, we are Simon (33), Lottie (28) Megan (4) and Finlay (2). I have received a fantastic job ofer to relocate to Brisbane, including a very good package. We have a young family and currenlty have a week or two to confirm if we are to go or not. I am looking for general advice and HELP as to what people think. Typically we are worried about Schooling for the kids and socailising for us, so we dont get to home sick.

Please, the more advice the better.
I am in a similar position have a job offer in discussion, to relocate from UK to Sydney. I am also looking for a similar package with a car, good news on the tax front on this.
There are 6 of us in total 30,29,11,9,7 & 4 (we have done our bit for humanity) may have to charter our own plane,
We are now stuck in limbo waiting for final negoitations, before we can move forward.

I thought that i could never make a move from what we know, steady/safe job, reasonable home but now i realise that it now or never to make a change.

Yes, no illusions that it is going to be tough, but its tough getting by in the uk !

Good luck, better to regret something your have done than something you didnt do !!.

Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Great encouragement thanks !

My package is £85K + Car + Super, its not a top package but I think a fairly good one, I would also appreciate your advice on that. . . .

We have been looking at Warner/Petrie/Strathpine are to live, any advice would be a god send ?

Cheers Swooty
Depends what you are after, Warner is a newer area but tucked out of the way a we bit, imo, Strathpine and Petrie are well established, older areas but with more shops and ameneties to offer.

We have just built at Halpine Lake, Mango Hill, just across the road from North 'toy town' Lakes, new area with loads of shops and amenities to offer and getting bigger all the time, North Lakes has all that you need, imo, if you are after the New Town sort of thing....?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Swooty;

dont be to worried about the kids, they will be fine the Australian kids love the UK accent its as simple as that, when your kids are invited for a barbe or sleep over let them go after you have met the parents, your circle of friends start then. The schools are OK when the kids are happy the parents are also happy, my girl was 12 when we came here she loved the place immediately and the kids at school loved her UK accent.
I know she is happy in australia i also work for the education dept in melbourne as i say its a different lifestyle & different culture you will love it all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.