British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help we have sold the house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-we-have-sold-house-731144/)

Trevski Sep 5th 2011 1:38 am

Help we have sold the house

Please can anyone help as we have not got the house under contract to complete 30/9/2011
We are keeping fingers crossed that all goes as planned and then my wife and son (11) can get back to UK asap so she can see her dad that is not very well.
The help i need is we have given items away and the new owners are having quite a few things like bed, washing machine fridge etc, but the big things i need help with do people know where i can sell our cars.
I know ebay, car sales etc but id rather them go to some one that would like them for what they are,im just afraid that ebay and car sales just get people messing us around and with my wife and son flying out on 6/10/2011 and me and my daughter(16) staying till cars are sold i dont want to be away from them to long i would like to get to UK asap when cars are sold.
<snip>
thankyou for all your help BE EXPATS

JAJ Sep 5th 2011 1:44 am

Re: Help we have sold the house

You can always sell your car to a dealer. You won't get as much as in a private sale but you do get a simpler/quicker deal. Find a number of reputable dealers in your vicinity - choose ones who either deal in the brand or in used cars in general. Then sell your car to whichever one offers the most cash.

Trevski Sep 5th 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9600633)
You can always sell your car to a dealer. You won't get as much as in a private sale but you do get a simpler/quicker deal. Find a number of reputable dealers in your vicinity - choose ones who either deal in the brand or in used cars in general. Then sell your car to whichever one offers the most cash.

hi
i tried that cars wanted.com but they only offerd $6-$7k, when dealers have them up for $10k, i will go and see local dealer and you never know they might offer good money
thxs

goldchoccycoin Sep 5th 2011 3:36 am

I, and quite a few friends, have had good experiences with carsales.com.au.

My mate sold her car for the price she wanted (and the same as suggested in Red Book) in 5 days. No messing around - very simple.

Good luck.

DeadVim Sep 5th 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 9600628)
Please can anyone help as we have not got the house under contract to complete 30/9/2011
We are keeping fingers crossed that all goes as planned and then my wife and son (11) can get back to UK asap so she can see her dad that is not very well.
The help i need is we have given items away and the new owners are having quite a few things like bed, washing machine fridge etc, but the big things i need help with do people know where i can sell our cars.
I know ebay, car sales etc but id rather them go to some one that would like them for what they are,im just afraid that ebay and car sales just get people messing us around and with my wife and son flying out on 6/10/2011 and me and my daughter(16) staying till cars are sold i dont want to be away from them to long i would like to get to UK asap when cars are sold.
<snip>
thankyou for all your help BE EXPATS

Good luck, Gumtree is also worth a crack if the needs must ... As others have said carsales.com.au seems to be the most reliable method.

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 3:50 am

I'd stick them online but set yourself a deadline. You have too much else to think about and don't have time to be emotional about cars.

I tried to sell my pride and joy privately before leaving the UK and ended up leaving it with my MiL who, after quite a few months, bought it off me for far less than I could have got from a dealer (well you have to, don't you?) and THEN next time I saw it it had a big scratch down the side :sneaky: I should have just got rid completely.

DeadVim Sep 5th 2011 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9600766)
I'd stick them online but set yourself a deadline. You have too much else to think about and don't have time to be emotional about cars.

I tried to sell my pride and joy privately before leaving the UK and ended up leaving it with my MiL who, after quite a few months, bought it off me for far less than I could have got from a dealer (well you have to, don't you?) and THEN next time I saw it it had a big scratch down the side :sneaky: I should have just got rid completely.

You didn't cut the brake cables then? :sneaky:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 4:01 am

This was the current MiL, not the first one.

Trevski Sep 5th 2011 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9600779)
This was the current MiL, not the first one.

so their is a better MIL:rofl:

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 4:20 am

Oh yes, she's lovely, even if she does scrape cars. And yes, I call her Mum :barfsmiley:

Bermudashorts Sep 5th 2011 7:20 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9600633)

That is what I did, we only had a few weeks to organise the move so I did not have time to do faff around with a private sale. We had a peugeot so we took it to a local peugeot garage, I had tried one of those places that claims to buy any car but they wasted my time and wanted to rip me off. I am sure I did not get best price, but only a few hundred less than we would have liked and it was quick and easy.