Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with the washing!

Help with the washing!

Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with the washing!

No, not THAT sort of help, the Bloke is very good at loading the machine and hanging it on the line!
Back in the UK I used to use liquid, not powder, it was called Surcare, and you could get it in all the supermarkets. The thing is it was hypo-allergenic, and designed for people with sensitive skin.
The only stuff I can find here is a powder called Omo Sensitive. its OK,but because top-loaders don't always dissolve powder as well as front-loaders, my clothes are coming out with white streaks of powder, and I am having to do most of the washing by hand. I daren't change to just any old liquid (cos I don't want to put my skin through agony again!), so the point of this rambling story is - can anyone recommend a LIQUID which is made for sensitive skin? And if so, where can I get it?
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Help with the washing!

Originally posted by Pollyana
No, not THAT sort of help, the Bloke is very good at loading the machine and hanging it on the line!
Back in the UK I used to use liquid, not powder, it was called Surcare, and you could get it in all the supermarkets. The thing is it was hypo-allergenic, and designed for people with sensitive skin.
The only stuff I can find here is a powder called Omo Sensitive. its OK,but because top-loaders don't always dissolve powder as well as front-loaders, my clothes are coming out with white streaks of powder, and I am having to do most of the washing by hand. I daren't change to just any old liquid (cos I don't want to put my skin through agony again!), so the point of this rambling story is - can anyone recommend a LIQUID which is made for sensitive skin? And if so, where can I get it?
This info from the OMO Care Line

"To avoid powder residue on clothes always ensure that the powder is dissolved before adding the clothes to the washing solution" I reckon they should make and sell a liquid version, if they thinks its best to dissolve it first !

I thought you were offering to help with the washing

Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice of them to give us totally useless advice, isn't it! All very good when handwashing, but not so good when its in a machine.....as you say, why don't they come up with a liquid!

Having seen the streaks and lumps of powder all over mine this weekend, I wouldn't offer to do anyone elses!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Start on SOAK setting (usually lasts ~10 minutes) rather than have it go immediately to wash.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:08 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

What temperature setting are you using, Polly?

If you are sticking to the default cold, then the powder won't dissolve hence streaks. Up it to warm or even hot and you should be OK as washing powder is designed to work best at 40 degrees.

Megs suggestions is a good one, too.

Re liquid - would Nappisan be suitable - I am presuming it is OK for sensitive skins if you are supposed to use it on baby stuff.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Start the top loader without the washing but with the powder. Stir the powder to dissolve, add the clothes and carry on.

Pain in the arse but the only way we have found around it.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

The answer is obvious isn't it !?!?

Put less powder in you muppets. :lecture:
Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyanna
My hubby is allergic to virtually every type of washing detergent! We had a nightmare when we got to Oz as we had to trial everything to see if it irritated his skin (this usually meant throwing it away after 3 uses).

We ended up using a liquid in a large darkish blue bottle but I cant remember the name. I'm sure it had a picture of a baby on the front tho. I don't think it was Omo but if you see anything in the supermarket in a blue bottle post up the name and I will remember if it's the one we used.

Sorry I cant be more use than that but sympathise with your problem.

HP
Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by migrantoz
The answer is obvious isn't it !?!?

Put less powder in you muppets. :lecture:
I want my clothes clean.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

What about dissolving it in a beaker of hot water first, stirring well? Then add to machine when its on?
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:32 am
Badge

Default Badge and his washing

Originally posted by Larissa
What about dissolving it in a beaker of hot water first, stirring well? Then add to machine when its on?
We have a winner!!!! (thanks MrsD)

Hey - my washing antics are a 'basket' of laughs over here in Australia. I found one powder that you can use in FRONT LOADERS(qv) - which is not as 'cool' as using the 'round' (qv) thing - Omo it is called.

Washing is now a weekly event I look forward to, not the arduous misery it was in the UK.

a)No more having to put up with my first floor flat kitchen shaking itself to bits when the machine goes in to final spin.

b)The washing machine has it's OWN little room called a LAUNDRY. Joy of joys. I can even 'hang out' in there looking out into the YARD (qv) through the BACK DOOR (qv). (It's great having a back door).

c) I can walk a mere 2m out of the back door to a YARD(qv) and hang my clothes on a HILLS HOIST(qv). No more draping socks and my knickers over the backs of chairs, over doors, towels on Mrs B side of the bed yadda yadda

d) The washing dries nice and quick outside. RESULT.

My life is complete.

Badge

HILLS HOIST - washing line that goes up and down by the turn of nifty handle
DOOR, BACK - what you get when you get a house. Yipee
YARD, BACK - back garden
FRONT LOADER - just like in pommy land
'round' - the plastic thingummy that you used to put your liquid in can't remember the name

My set up :
Attached Thumbnails Help with the washing!-laundry.jpg  

Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Badge and his washing

Originally posted by badgersmount
We have a winner!!!! (thanks MrsD)
What did I do Badge?

Polly, all of the suggestions people have given above should work. Either dissolve it first in some water, put it in & fill the machine with water before adding the clothes or put it on the soak cycle. All sound practical to me & should solve your problem!

I dont know why there isnt any liquid apart from that there doesnt seem to be many liquids on the market all up anyway. Dagboy used to use Persil in the UK, it used to smell divine!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:46 am
Badge

On this forum, Mrs D, it was you who coined the term 'We have a winner!".

Badgers "washing's now a bliss" Mount

Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
On this forum, Mrs D, it was you who coined the term 'We have a winner!".

Badgers "washing's now a bliss" Mount

Ohhhh LOL, sorry, gotcha now, I thought you had got Larissa mixed up with me or something. Must have been having a blonde moment .

BTW, nice laundry badge, do you have pics of all the rooms in your house?

Did you use persil in the UK? Or did all the liquids use a ball?

Mrs "hubby does the washing in this house" Dagboy
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:13 am
Badge

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
BTW, nice laundry badge, do you have pics of all the rooms in your house?

Did you use persil in the UK? Or did all the liquids use a ball?
Mrs B sourced the detergent and operated the machine in our household, but if it was down to me I would also go for Persil or Aerial. All liquids in the UK use a ball - that was the word I was looking for(!). Noone really needs to use the powder anymore.

Yes, I have pictures so that I could show Mrs B the house. Funny how much easier life gets in a house. Lots of people knock us all for coming here but you really do get quality of life which we wouldn't get in the UK for quite a few more years (!)

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.