Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with WA employment law

Help with WA employment law

Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of
Default Help with WA employment law

Hi folks

OK, after suffering from chronic verbal abuse from my employer for months and having passed my property managers course, I'm going to resign tomorrow.
My biggest fear is his reaction. He can be so scarey (I put it down to the fact that he's a body building steroid junkie!) He will rant and rave screaming and sgouting at me, which unfortunately will reduce me in to fllods of tears!

I would love to take him for constructive dismissal just not sure if I can.

Friday he even ripped in to me for printing DYMO labels with the wrong sizw text.

I've dropped 2 dress sizes, now size 6 and only 67kg!!

Anyone who knows WA employment law or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cat
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with WA employment law

Originally Posted by Catkin09
Hi folks

OK, after suffering from chronic verbal abuse from my employer for months and having passed my property managers course, I'm going to resign tomorrow.
My biggest fear is his reaction. He can be so scarey (I put it down to the fact that he's a body building steroid junkie!) He will rant and rave screaming and sgouting at me, which unfortunately will reduce me in to fllods of tears!

Friday he even ripped in to me for printing DYMO labels with the wrong sizw text.

Anyone who knows WA employment law or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cat
I can't help you with your question but do you really want to go through all of that tribunal lark. My friend did the same and it was so drawn out and stressful it made a bad situation 10 times worse. Resign, serve your notice and walk away. Some people are just arseholes and shouldn't be given anymore time in the limelight than is necessary. Good luck tomorrow and I hope you find yourself a new job quickly.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:28 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks

Thanks

Cat
Cat, I left my first Aussie job for the 'perfect job' with all the benefits, I knew from day one that it was a HUGE mistake and the PA there was a class A bully, everyone was scared of her and she would even shout at the MD and even HR.

She would publicly slate me for my accent and get me to say certain things her way. I started wishing my train would crash so I didnt have to go in and I really really hated it.

Cut a long story short, the day I left there - one month after I started, HR admitted to me that she had been there so long and was the only one that could do the job and it was best if I left but if anything came up not in her department, they would have no hesitation in taking me back (no thanks - spineless does not cover a description of someone that is scared of a fat menopausal ugly PA who has been there so ****ing long she thinks she runs the joint), when I said I couldnt work with her, they said best I go as it will only get worse as she is 'very difficult to work with'

So gathering my stuff (note to oneself, never fill your drawers with spare shoes and boots in case you have to carry them all home), I walked out and as I saw her, I said 'Louise - you are a bully and not only are you a bully but you are a fat and ugly bully at that' and I said it loud enough for everyone to hear and it was with smug satisfaction that I saw her mouth gape open.

What was the worst she could do? Hit me? Yeah right, people that shout at their staff usually have issues, control issues, the problem lies with them and their incredibly poor management skills. A good manager does not need to shout, swear or intimidate their staff - ever, anyone that does is a tosser.

The relief I felt walking out of there was huge and that week I had 3 job interviews and two job offers and on the Monday a third job offer, I took a job that is 20 mins from my house with some really nice people and I havent looked back.

So you type out your resignation, walk in there with your head held high and give it to him. Stare him right in the eye and tell him 'You are a bully, you shout and intimidate people and I am surprised anyone works for you. Please do not raise your voice to me, accept my resignation and leave me alone until I leave because if you don't, I will take this further and seek legal action'

He cant hurt you, he will do what people like him only know how to do - shout, the moment he raises his voice to you, you wait until he has finished and say 'Are you done?' and then walk away.

Do not let him make you cry, don't give him that power. Take heart in the knowledge that you are leaving, that there are better jobs out there with decent bosses that dont feel a need to shout/intimidate people.

Stay strong.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Sep 18th 2011 at 1:32 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I can't help you with your question but do you really want to go through all of that tribunal lark. My friend did the same and it was so drawn out and stressful it made a bad situation 10 times worse. Resign, serve your notice and walk away. Some people are just arseholes and shouldn't be given anymore time in the limelight than is necessary. Good luck tomorrow and I hope you find yourself a new job quickly.
I think that's good advice. Also it's incredibly hard to prove and what do you hope to gain? Money for you or case him harm?
Lastly you may well make a blacksheep of yourself and unemployable. Perth is small town.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
Hi NB
All it would do is give me some evil wicked feelings of revenge!!
I have to give 4 weeks notice and as some of the time there's only me and him in the showroom I think it's gonna be hard to cope. I've worked for him for overr a year, doing sn average of 50 hours a week. I hardly ever get a lunch break and feel like I'm treading on eggshells. I know I should have left before, but like an idiot I felt a sense of loyalty 'cos he gave me a job.
I've been offered a job as an assitant property manager, it's a big drop in wage ($10k a year) and we're gonna have to tighten our belts quite a lot, but it will be worth it.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Cat, I left my first Aussie job for the 'perfect job' with all the benefits, I knew from day one that it was a HUGE mistake and the PA there was a class A bully, everyone was scared of her and she would even shout at the MD and even HR.

She would publicly slate me for my accent and get me to say certain things her way. I started wishing my train would crash so I didnt have to go in and I really really hated it.

Cut a long story short, the day I left there - one month after I started, HR admitted to me that she had been there so long and was the only one that could do the job and it was best if I left but if anything came up not in her department, they would have no hesitation in taking me back (no thanks - spineless does not cover a description of someone that is scared of a fat menopausal ugly PA who has been there so ****ing long she thinks she runs the joint), when I said I couldnt work with her, they said best I go as it will only get worse as she is 'very difficult to work with'

So gathering my stuff (note to oneself, never fill your drawers with spare shoes and boots in case you have to carry them all home), I walked out and as I saw her, I said 'Louise - you are a bully and not only are you a bully but you are a fat and ugly bully at that' and I said it loud enough for everyone to hear and it was with smug satisfaction that I saw her mouth gape open.

What was the worst she could do? Hit me? Yeah right, people that shout at their staff usually have issues, control issues, the problem lies with them and their incredibly poor management skills. A good manager does not need to shout, swear or intimidate their staff - ever, anyone that does is a tosser.

The relief I felt walking out of there was huge and that week I had 3 job interviews and two job offers and on the Monday a third job offer, I took a job that is 20 mins from my house with some really nice people and I havent looked back.

So you type out your resignation, walk in there with your head held high and give it to him. Stare him right in the eye and tell him 'You are a bully, you shout and intimidate people and I am surprised anyone works for you. Please do not raise your voice to me, accept my resignation and leave me alone until I leave because if you don't, I will take this further and seek legal action'

He cant hurt you, he will do what people like him only know how to do - shout, the moment he raises his voice to you, you wait until he has finished and say 'Are you done?' and then walk away.

Do not let him make you cry, don't give him that power. Take heart in the knowledge that you are leaving, that there are better jobs out there with decent bosses that dont feel a need to shout/intimidate people.

Stay strong.
Princess
Thanks so much for your reply it made me laugh and cry
I seem to be an emotional wreck at the moment!!
I will go in there tomorrow with my head held high and ear plugs in just in case!!
Cat
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:05 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Princess
Thanks so much for your reply it made me laugh and cry
I seem to be an emotional wreck at the moment!!
I will go in there tomorrow with my head held high and ear plugs in just in case!!
Cat
I SO know what you are going through and people like that will chip away at you until you no longer know yourself or what you are capable of.

Have you got another job lined up? Even if you havent and are resigning, at least you will get into a better place emotionally once you are out of there.

The power you will feel once you resign will be amazing I promise you, he cant touch you and if he shouts just look at him and walk out. Completely ignore him if you have to.

But you cant beat staring at someone in the eye and standing up for yourself.

Honestly, there are better things out there - write down all your plans - see it in black and white, you can do anything you want to and get excited about resigning from an abusive control freak - worst case scenario, get yourself signed off with stress leave for your notice period, there is nothing like a bit of stress leave to put the fear of god into employers and there is bugger all he can do about it except pay you and pray to god you dont do him for workers comp for making you so ill you get stress leave.

I promise you once you have resigned you are going to feel invincible.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NB
I have to give 4 weeks notice and as some of the time there's only me and him in the showroom I think it's gonna be hard to cope. I've worked for him for overr a year, doing sn average of 50 hours a week. I hardly ever get a lunch break and feel like I'm treading on eggshells. I know I should have left before, but like an idiot I felt a sense of loyalty 'cos he gave me a job.
I've been offered a job as an assitant property manager, it's a big drop in wage ($10k a year) and we're gonna have to tighten our belts quite a lot, but it will be worth it.
I hope it all works out, do you have an understanding GP who might sign you off work for the period of your notice. Not sure if that is even possible here.

Glad you have another job, sucks that it's less money but hey what price happiness? Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:09 pm

Hi NB
Get yourself signed off - if its just you and him, it is going to be hard - I would imagine you get the 10 days off sick which is two weeks, but if you get stress leave then he will have to pay you.

I lost alot of benefits leaving that other job but I am so much happier and for all the money in the world I would not ever go back.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Get yourself signed off - if its just you and him, it is going to be hard - I would imagine you get the 10 days off sick which is two weeks, but if you get stress leave then he will have to pay you.

I lost alot of benefits leaving that other job but I am so much happier and for all the money in the world I would not ever go back.
He's one of these people that doesn't tolerate sickness!
Youngest was off school sick with very bad throat and ear infection, had a note from the docs saying had to stay home with him, but hey ho, let myself get bullied in to going to work and taking my son in with me.

Hubby was rushed in to hospital the other Friday and he wouldn't let me leave to go to the hospital. The next day (Saturday) I was due to work, asked if I could take the day off as holiday or compassionate leave, nope!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Youngest was off school sick with very bad throat and ear infection, had a note from the docs saying had to stay home with him, but hey ho, let myself get bullied in to going to work and taking my son in with me.

Hubby was rushed in to hospital the other Friday and he wouldn't let me leave to go to the hospital. The next day (Saturday) I was due to work, asked if I could take the day off as holiday or compassionate leave, nope!
He sounds really horrible and a bully.God help the next person that gets your job.Hand in your notice and dont stand and listen to his rantings.Good luck.You wont regret leaving.If you are due any holidays or sick leave take them before you go.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:30 pm

OK, rarely I am speechless but now I am.

It doesnt matter if he doesnt tolerate sickness, I would go to the doctors get a note and then resign.

Because I have a feeling that for several reasons you need to stand up to this man - mainly for yourself, because any wanker that makes you come into work when your partner is in hospital is a tosser, for making you come in when your son is sick makes him even worse.

I would fear that letting him bully you into anything may have paved the way for future bullies, if you cannot stand up to this man - well life does throw the odd bastard in the workplace and its about knowing how to deal with them that is the most important and if you are too scared to stand up to him, you may find yourself at some point in your life needing to stand up to someone else and will need to draw on those reserves that will enable you to do it.

So go in tomorrow and resign and then say 'I am going on stress leave and there is nothing and I mean nothing you can do about it' and walk out.

Seriously, after reading that I am astounded - you really need to take a stand.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I think that I would go to the doctor's first to get the sick leave form/letter, then go to the office to hand it in to the bully, along with my resignation letter. I would also take a recording device with me - no doubt someone will say that's illegal, but if things do go legal, you would have some sort of evidence on his behaviour. If you haven't got an answering machine at home, don't answer the phone, and screen your mobile calls.

Contact someone on here for a coffee and chat.

Does Perth specialise in this type of workplace behaviour?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NB
Be worth the loss of every penny to regain your self esteem and not to hate going to work. I fully understand your feelings for revenge. A lot of folk go through incredibly difficult times at work here. Been there myself sometime ago. As has been stated Perth is a small place and every one in a particular area knows sooner or later what is going on. Careers can be lost with ease here for standing your ground.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I think that I would go to the doctor's first to get the sick leave form/letter, then go to the office to hand it in to the bully, along with my resignation letter. I would also take a recording device with me - no doubt someone will say that's illegal, but if things do go legal, you would have some sort of evidence on his behaviour. If you haven't got an answering machine at home, don't answer the phone, and screen your mobile calls.

Contact someone on here for a coffee and chat.

Does Perth specialise in this type of workplace behaviour?
Not sure if Perth specializes in work place bullying but there does appear to be a lot going on in many forms.
Folk on visas dependant on work status have known to be prime candidates especially those from a non English language background.
The culture of not complaining seems to ensure its continuation. Mobbing and being over looked for promotions are also rather widely spread at least in certain areas that I could mention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.