Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with time left on passport

Help with time left on passport

Old Sep 24th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice
Default Help with time left on passport

Can anyone help as we are going to Perth at Xmas for a holiday before making the move permanant in April 06. We are taking the mother-in-law with us for the holiday(not permanant) but I have just heard that to enter Oz you must have at least 6 months left on your passport but the in laws runs out in April 06 and we fly Dec 05 for four weeks.
Is this right as if so we will need to get her another passport
Any advise welcome

Last edited by lovealot; Sep 24th 2005 at 5:18 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 5:14 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: s

Originally Posted by lovealot
a
?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 5:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: s

a
is for Apple
Old Sep 24th 2005, 5:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with time left on passport

Can anyone help as we are going to Perth at Xmas for a holiday before making the move permanant in April 06. We are taking the mother-in-law with us for the holiday(not permanant) but I have just heard that to enter Oz you must have at least 6 months left on your passport but the in laws runs out in April 06 and we fly Dec 05 for four weeks.
Any advise welcome
Its not essential, but it is advisable. The UK technically requires 6 months on a passport also, - my friend is a pilot for a UK airline, and an over-zealous immigration officer tried to refuse him re-entry to the Uk when his passport was down to 5 months!!!
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:33 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not essential, but it is advisable. The UK technically requires 6 months on a passport also, - my friend is a pilot for a UK airline, and an over-zealous immigration officer tried to refuse him re-entry to the Uk when his passport was down to 5 months!!!
This type of c**p does my head in! Why do they do that!! They make you pay for a 10 year passport which is only realy valid for 9.5 years then.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road

I would get a new passport to avoid any problems. They add on upto 6 or 9 months to the new one. So that if you got it now it would expire in 10 years 6 months.

Jo
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:55 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Any advise welcome
Yep you will DEFINITELY need to get her a new one. Won't be allowed in otherwise. Only takes about 2 weeks through post these days.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul the spark
I would get a new passport to avoid any problems. They add on upto 6 or 9 months to the new one. So that if you got it now it would expire in 10 years 6 months.

Jo
Eating my words
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would be tempted not to tell her and let her travel with the one she has. OTOH all MILs are different
Old Sep 24th 2005, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not essential, but it is advisable.
Correct. Australia does not have a "6 month rule". If your passport is valid for less than 6 months, then the validity of the ETA will be limited to the time left on your passport. Your admission to Australia may be less than 3 months as a result.

This can be confirmed by looking at the FAQs on http://www.eta.immi.gov.au

However, some of the countries you may travel through en-route to Australia do have a rule like this. Hence it's advisable to get a new passport.

If the ETA has already been obtained, it would be a good idea to get a new one for a new passport, as otherwise there might be a delay (or worse) at check-in if ETA and passport details don't match.

The UK technically requires 6 months on a passport also, - my friend is a pilot for a UK airline, and an over-zealous immigration officer tried to refuse him re-entry to the Uk when his passport was down to 5 months!!!
The UK does *not* have such a requirement for British citizens and that immigration officer ought to have been reported to his superiors.

Jeremy
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:04 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ

The UK does *not* have such a requirement for British citizens and that immigration officer ought to have been reported to his superiors.

Jeremy
Think we discussed this before Jeremy? Its ringing a faint bell now! Anyway, I'd go for the option of the new passport just in case the lady gets the same idiot that my friend did!!