Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help!! Tax time in Oz

Help!! Tax time in Oz

Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:36 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Help!! Tax time in Oz

Can anyone recommend a tax returns agent in the Brisbane area. Someone who has experience with people arriving mid tax year. I have heard several versions of what can be claimed etc... I would like to speak to (or hear from) someone to get the real story. Has anyone filed a tax return having been in Oz for less than a year? I arrived Oct last year and started work in Dec. I assume I need to file a tax return at the end of this month?

One thing is bugging me, does the tax payed as you earn include the Medicare levy??

Thanks for any help!!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! Tax time in Oz

Originally Posted by Plug
Can anyone recommend a tax returns agent in the Brisbane area. Someone who has experience with people arriving mid tax year. I have heard several versions of what can be claimed etc... I would like to speak to (or hear from) someone to get the real story. Has anyone filed a tax return having been in Oz for less than a year? I arrived Oct last year and started work in Dec. I assume I need to file a tax return at the end of this month?

One thing is bugging me, does the tax payed as you earn include the Medicare levy??

Thanks for any help!!
I arrived in November, started work 3 weeks later, did my tax return online - very very simple (needed to be!!) - it asks if you have moved to Aus mid-year, and then uses that date to calculate all the figures.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help!!
You don't have to actually submit it until November (I think) anyway, spend some cashe and get an accountant, it's tacx deductable on the following years return.

I
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:57 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby & i went to H&R BLOCK last year as we arrived in Jan,had'nt a clue what to do & neither of us wanted to muck it up either
I think it cost $80 & well worth it,least you know its done right & saved us allot of worrying

Will be using them this year too.

Donna.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:08 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madsad
Hubby & i went to H&R BLOCK last year as we arrived in Jan,had'nt a clue what to do & neither of us wanted to muck it up either
I think it cost $80 & well worth it,least you know its done right & saved us allot of worrying

Donna.
We are over in Perth and use AustAsia Group to do our tax return. Think it costs us $110 (and you get to claim that back as a tax expense). Anyway for what it costs to get a professional to do it, it is well worth letting them. Chances are they should be able to save you more than you realised. Ater all thats what they are supposed to be good at :-)
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:18 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Thanks for that guys. Does anyone know if the Medicare levy comes out of the tax I'm paying every week as part of my salary?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Donna.
HI Donna

YOu dont happen to have there web address or phone number do you?

thanks
nicola
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Visit ATO website and do tax return on-line, e-tax 2006 available for download 1 July. Piece of cake when I did it last year, talks you through it.
Roger
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Thanks for that guys. Does anyone know if the Medicare levy comes out of the tax I'm paying every week as part of my salary?

...........Nope......fraid not!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:18 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
HI Donna

YOu dont happen to have there web address or phone number do you?

thanks
nicola
Hi Nicola,
We used the office in Kallangur 07)3480 5333.or to find your nearest office phone 13 23 25.

web add would be hrblock.com.au

Donna.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicola,
We used the office in Kallangur 07)3480 5333.or to find your nearest office phone 13 23 25.

web add would be hrblock.com.au

Donna.
Hi Donna

thanks a mill for that.

best wishes
NIcola
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:50 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

The medicare levy is paid along with your tax return, if your using the online etax return the program asks some questions, for example I dont think you pay the medicare levy if your a couple (or reduced amount) or have private health insurance.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for any help!!
Usually you have to get your tax return done by the end of October (if you do it yourself - accountants can submit them later). If your tax affairs are simple or slightly complicated then you could use an accountant although I would recommend e-tax. If your tax affairs are complicated then it is possible that the accountant will screw it up for you.

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello

We are keeping our english bank account with a credit card when we move over next month and then my sister will pay the credit card for me. How does this fit in to the AUS tax reurn?

thanks in advance
NIcola
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 8:14 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

List is attached for reference...
Cheers,
Bart
Attached Files
File Type: zip
TaxAgents.zip (936.7 KB, 43 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.