British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   help with tax file application required...and a few other questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-tax-file-application-required-few-other-questions-278360/)

jc_hoops Jan 18th 2005 12:54 pm

help with tax file application required...and a few other questions

Any help on the questions below please........

I'm out to Aus for ten days to activate my visa start of March, but plan to be out there for good in September with the family.

So, what are the first things to do when I get out there ? Apart for the obvious, like renting a house and getting a car, any idea what State Government Departments I need to visit - assuming that "I do" need to visit some.

How do I go about getting a Tax File number, and are there any local authority departments I need to register with ?

One last question, I have seen the info on getting Trade Certificates recognised, but can anyone give me any details regarding Technical company courses as well. I have City and Guilds in Electronics and Electrical Engineering ( Sparks), but also Telecoms Transmission, Switching and some Data/Cisco courses as well,( as this has been my field of work for about 20 years) all these were company instigated and related to my work at that period of time, is it worth sending copies of these in with my C&G certificates copies when apply for Trade recognition ?

Any info on the above will be well received.........

Cheers.

JC :confused:

biggy Jan 18th 2005 8:59 pm

Re: help with tax file application required...and a few other questions

I think you can apply for your tax file number online .............yup just looked up the website....if u r in Oz u can apply online.....if not in oz u can print off the form and post it :)

biggy Jan 18th 2005 8:59 pm

I think you can apply for your tax file number online .............yup just looked up the website....if u r in Oz u can apply online.....if not in oz u can print off the form and post it :)

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...02_001_008_002

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by biggy

I think, you need to have your visa validated first (if you're not in OZ)

kirsty&al Jan 18th 2005 9:50 pm

From what I remember the application process was very quick. I think we got our numbers within a week of doing the online application. The bank refunded the witheld tax as soon as they received the TFN.

The only places I think you need to visit are Medicare (but the need about 10 days after your arrival) and Centrelink.

Regards
Alistair

Elaine M Jan 18th 2005 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
From what I remember the application process was very quick. I think we got our numbers within a week of doing the online application. The bank refunded the witheld tax as soon as they received the TFN.

The only places I think you need to visit are Medicare (but the need about 10 days after your arrival) and Centrelink.

Regards
Alistair

Why Centrelink? I haven't, no-one advised me to do so.

You've got me worried now that I've missed something really important! :confused:

Elaine M

MarkMyWords Jan 18th 2005 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine M

You've got me worried now that I've missed something really important! :confused:

Elaine M

Ditto!

renth Jan 19th 2005 12:27 am

If I were you I'd wait until September for getting the tax file number otherwise you might be required to submit a tax return, or at least fill out the form explaining why you don't have to submit a tax return.

Hels Jan 19th 2005 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Elaine M

Elaine M

As far as I know, the only people that need to go to Centrelink on arriving are those with children? Or returning citizens if they want to apply for Income support while waiting for a job.

If you dont have children, there isnt alot Centrelink can do to help.

Hels

kirsty&al Jan 19th 2005 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Hels
As far as I know, the only people that need to go to Centrelink on arriving are those with children? Or returning citizens if they want to apply for Income support while waiting for a job.

If you dont have children, there isnt alot Centrelink can do to help.

Hels

Oops, sorry :o If you have children you should get in touch with centrelink. You can get tax offsets and benefit (which are means tested); and you don't have to wait 2 years to get these.

If you don't have kids forget about centrelink.

Regards
Alistair

Elaine M Jan 19th 2005 9:35 am

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Oops, sorry :o If you have children you should get in touch with centrelink. You can get tax offsets and benefit (which are means tested); and you don't have to wait 2 years to get these.

If you don't have kids forget about centrelink.

Regards
Alistair

Phew, thanks for clarifying! I'm on my own so don't need to contact Centrelink then.

Had me worried there!

Elaine M :)