Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help on suburbs.....

Help on suburbs.....

Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on suburbs.....

I'm with Fish, I would choose Bulimba rather than bayside, especially working in Murrarie. Bulimba has great access to both Murrarie and the city (the city can be a problem in peak hour as you only have one road out of Bulimba, but it has the citycat if you prefer public transport). Bulimba has great schools and a lovely atmosphere.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
We started off in bulimba before Manly and if wewere pre or post young kids it would be lovely to live there - with a 4 & 6 year old the coast has more to offer them.
OH drives to the valley at 7 over the gateway in 30 mins and is home by 5.30 ... Murrarie an easier drive
Yeah, along the front in Manly looks lovely....hopefully the OP will be able to match their requirements to the right suburb for them. It must be so hard in a brand new place. I stuffed it up and I am from Brisbane. We are all so different so it is tough giving advice...I have young kids and started off in the outer suburbs but find it much better for me and them since we moved closer to Brisbane.

Interesting about crossing the gateway, I've never heard that before....it must be a fair bit quicker if it is worth it to pay the toll and cross to the northern side of the river for the drive into the valley.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMFC
That was sweet Fish.01 - you could work for the Bulimba Tourist Board (if they had one!)
Actually, you should put that in a seperate thread, and make different threads for different suburbs, would be great for people making decisions about where to live!
Must admit is was fun ...though the threads would soon drift away which would be a shame.

A bit concerning that a bunch of pretty pictures don't represent real life but I hope people might get some idea of the different facilities and look and feel of a place - it's really about giving everyone a bigger picture as a quick visit to a suburb often doesn't reveal the nice things that are there for residents.

I would stick to the brisbane suburbs I know so we would need volunteers to do the other areas I don't know as well.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:12 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Must admit is was fun ...though the threads would soon drift away which would be a shame.....I would stick to the brisbane suburbs I know so we would need volunteers to do the other areas I don't know as well.
- Put me down for "Photo-journalising" (<--- newly invented word?) The Gap. I recon a new subheading forum of "Suburb Assistance" is needed, with subforums within that for each of Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne etc. etc.

Pretty soon you'd build up a library threads discussing and illuminating suburbs, not only with pictures (which is a great way to help people look around), but also discussions perhaps about schools, public transport options, commute times etc etc etc... all the stuff that people are ALWAYS asking about.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all and thanks very much indeed for the input here to date.....great pics Fish and thanks also for the input on Manly.

This will be the third new city in 4 years so in some ways we're used to change i guess but its still daunting and going through the challenge of finding a nice area, house and school etc.

My initial thoughts are the coast or outer suburbs may be best suited as we have kids and and a very very energetic Hungarian Vizsla dog thats needs places to run and run and run.....

Look forward to more replies.......