Reload this Page >

Help starting out

Help starting out

Old Jul 10th 2005, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

ecc05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help starting out

hi folks,

after posting this thread i am going to read all threads relating to this subject, but here goes anyway (please dont shoot me down)

i am looking to migrate to Australia and have so far only taken the points test via online services, which i passed

my trade is a car mechanic.

what i need to know is how to start the process of migration going?

i have contacted a motor trade agency who are very interested in my CV and state they can get me work, they are hoping to contact me anyday via telephone (based in Brisbane) (so maybe they can help - but im sure there will be a catch??)

I plan to head out and vist both Perth and Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane around October time for approx 4 weeks, but I'm unsure as where to head to eventually (i appreciate they are 1000's miles apart)

Any help on choosing a destintion to settle, I here Perth is where most Brits head to? can anyone help me with advise on culture / weather / prospects / development of each city?

But to round this up, what i need help in is how to start the whole process and any clue as to the costs envolved.?

do i go through an agency or do it all myself?

hope some one can help me here

all the best
steve
Old Jul 10th 2005, 2:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help starting out

Hi Steve,

Can't help with much but wellcome to the forum.

First thing to do though is spend some time looking through the Immigration website. It's quite extensive so settle down with a beer

http://www.dimia.gov.au/
Old Jul 10th 2005, 2:51 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ecc05
hi folks,

after posting this thread i am going to read all threads relating to this subject, but here goes anyway (please dont shoot me down)

i am looking to migrate to Australia and have so far only taken the points test via online services, which i passed

my trade is a car mechanic.

what i need to know is how to start the process of migration going?

i have contacted a motor trade agency who are very interested in my CV and state they can get me work, they are hoping to contact me anyday via telephone (based in Brisbane) (so maybe they can help - but im sure there will be a catch??)

I plan to head out and vist both Perth and Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane around October time for approx 4 weeks, but I'm unsure as where to head to eventually (i appreciate they are 1000's miles apart)

Any help on choosing a destintion to settle, I here Perth is where most Brits head to? can anyone help me with advise on culture / weather / prospects / development of each city?

But to round this up, what i need help in is how to start the whole process and any clue as to the costs envolved.?

do i go through an agency or do it all myself?

hope some one can help me here

all the best
steve
As Bix said start with the government site. assess wether yours is a straight forward application and if it is I would say do it yourself...it is only form filling and gathering references after all and saves a packet of money. Then deicide were you want to live. I would think allot of Brits like myself head for perth because the housing there is fairly cheap compared to here. I know Im going to be able to afford a much bigger house for a start,plus I have family out there. You will find the gold coast expensive by comparison.. Good luck asnd if you have anymore specific questions about anything post away ther is always someone to help out...Whta you have asked is a bit of a broad question and going over old post is a good start point...
Old Jul 10th 2005, 3:20 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the website there is a search link at the top of the page, if you put in a specific word then you will get loads of starting points to look info up.

Personally we are headed to Perth area as we have family out there, the housing is also cheaper there. Ignore the Perthites comments on the latest weather - they have had a pretty grotty winter by their standards
Old Jul 10th 2005, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

ecc05 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, thanks all for your responces and help, i will settle down later with a cold beer and trawl the dmia site, i found a good thread on here and have been following the links etc.....

i know my question was very broad, but wasnt sure about the areas to possibly settle in, i presumed there must be a reason why Perth is so popular.

i suppose its like here when you say i live in city X compared to city Y then there is a huge difference in housing prices etc etc

i will wait until the agency guy conatcts me then decide which way to go

i will keep looking on here and inform people of my progress

thanks for the warm welcome to this site

steve
Old Jul 10th 2005, 3:52 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecc05
hi, thanks all for your responces and help, i will settle down later with a cold beer and trawl the dmia site, i found a good thread on here and have been following the links etc.....

i know my question was very broad, but wasnt sure about the areas to possibly settle in, i presumed there must be a reason why Perth is so popular.

i suppose its like here when you say i live in city X compared to city Y then there is a huge difference in housing prices etc etc

i will wait until the agency guy conatcts me then decide which way to go

i will keep looking on here and inform people of my progress

thanks for the warm welcome to this site

steve
hi first thing you will need to do is have your trade assessed by the TRA after that it's all plain sailing lol