Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Originally Posted by Baby75
I agree a working holiday visa would be the best thing for her and i cant see how she wouldn't get work once she is willing and able like Ozzy doc said
if she wanted to stay for the extra year she could do the 3 month harvest trail hey could both do that and get a bit of traveling test their relationship as well Then she would have to either get sponsored to stay or de facto visa I dont know how long you have to be together for that but i do know you have to off shore when it is issued then NZ would come in handy or else back to UK
Hi, working holiday visa is what we though to do at first, but we didn't know what you would do after that but you seem to have some good ideas , its just that i don't know what the harvest trail is and do they have that in Brisbane. And i don't know what the de facto visa is either, if you could explain for me that would be great.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Firstly I really feel for you, we came with our son who was 21 at the time and he did not have a PR visa - three years later and alot of money (seriously huge amount) he now does. I understand the desire to give our children (albeit over 18 and 'independent') the choice to live on the same side of the world as us.

It sounds like no matter what you decide you might be better off getting the assistance of a migration agent for your sons girlfriend visa options. The one thing a WHV will give you and them is time to make an informed decision. You could do a harvest trail search on the net.

I would just be very careful as intense and immediate as young love can be, it can also end very suddenly. If she does join you, will you be asking them both to take responsibility for the visa, cost etc. Just a thought, as if they have to pay/contribute they may give it the serious thought it deserves. I have also found that money is a great motivator, and if your son chooses to stay in the UK surely as a 'grown-up' who is making his own way in the world he should be self sufficient.

Making him aware that he is the deciding factor in coming to Oz is a bit of a burden and possibly giving him too much control and 'allowing' him not take the decision.

I really do wish you luck with this, thing is he could come, things could be great and then he might choose to move countries anyway.

T

Last edited by Ozzy dog; Mar 27th 2008 at 1:27 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It doesn't really matter if she works or not, she would still have the full year. The visa will still be there regardless.

The working holiday visa would allow her to stay in one job for a maximum of 6 months, then she could find a new one if she wanted.

If she did do some work out on farms harvesting and that sort of thing for about 3 months, then she could have the option of getting another working holiday visa for year.

The other option would be your son could possible sponsor her for a defacto visa. If the two have been living together for 12 months. I'm not entirely sure if this would work because I don't know how long your son needs PR before he's able to sponsor. Also, I'm not quite sure how it would work if they were living at your house and not on their own. But it's worth looking into.

A furthur option would be for her to get a student visa once her working holiday visa runs. Presumably she's still young, so going to school here and getting an education might help with getting her own visa if needed. The fees would be expensive though as an international student.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I agree, she should get a working holiday visa, get casual work and see how they get on, I think it can be extended for two years? Then if they still want to be together they can make a decision Aus or Uk? and cross that bridge when they get there..... If by then they set up home etc there are things like fiance visa or de facto etc etc
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:50 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my husband were that age when we first met, this 'girl' could be your daughter-in-law one day and the mother of your grandchildren .

Are you sure that his desire to move to Oz is as strong as yours and could this be a time just to start letting go? - no matter how hard it is.

If he's dead set on staying because his girlfriend can't/won't move would you be prepared to stay to support him? if the answer is no could you, in all honesty, really ask him to give up someone very important to him allow you to move back to Australia?

Hope that she will be able to make the move over here, perhaps she has some pull from her own family preventing her from making the decision?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:51 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Do a WHV then a defacto if they are still together and providing they can prove that they are living with each other for 12 months previous. Your son has PR so can sponsor and doesn't have to wait any amount of time I believe before this other than the time needed in the relationship.

The WHV has limitations obviously in terms of employment but the defacto doesnt and certainly beats going back to education which will be very costly indeed if you are on a student visa.

But of course it then begs the question, what will her parents think about all that....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I met my hubby when I was 16, and so believe at 19 your son probably knows what he wants.

What about a Student visa? Would her parents help her pay for a Uni course in Australia? This would enable her to stay here longer.

Other thing is holiday visa which could give them 12months to pursue other options.

Gems
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll move this into the Immigration forum where you are more likely to get suggestions of possible routes for the girlfriend to get to Aus....
Ok, I'm confused now, I moved it to try and be helpful but someone has put it back here again
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm confused now, I moved it to try and be helpful but someone has put it back here again
Who watches the watchmen ??
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana is it staying on this one or going back to the Immigration site, let me know please so i know where to find it. Thank you.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Gems;6116800]I met my hubby when I was 16, and so believe at 19 your son probably knows what he wants.

What about a Student visa? Would her parents help her pay for a Uni course in Australia? This would enable her to stay here longer.

Other thing is holiday visa which could give them 12months to pursue other options.

Gems[/QUOTE

My sons girlfriend lives with her mother only and i don't know if she would be able to pay for her daughter to go to Uni.
My other thought was that if my sons girlfriend would want to go and leave her mother here.
As for the holiday visa that would be a good idea and give us time as you say to sort things out a bit.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Firstly I really feel for you, we came with our son who was 21 at the time and he did not have a PR visa - three years later and alot of money (seriously huge amount) he now does. I understand the desire to give our children (albeit over 18 and 'independent') the choice to live on the same side of the world as us.

It sounds like no matter what you decide you might be better off getting the assistance of a migration agent for your sons girlfriend visa options. The one thing a WHV will give you and them is time to make an informed decision. You could do a harvest trail search on the net.

I would just be very careful as intense and immediate as young love can be, it can also end very suddenly. If she does join you, will you be asking them both to take responsibility for the visa, cost etc. Just a thought, as if they have to pay/contribute they may give it the serious thought it deserves. I have also found that money is a great motivator, and if your son chooses to stay in the UK surely as a 'grown-up' who is making his own way in the world he should be self sufficient.

Making him aware that he is the deciding factor in coming to Oz is a bit of a burden and possibly giving him too much control and 'allowing' him not take the decision.

I really do wish you luck with this, thing is he could come, things could be great and then he might choose to move countries anyway.

T

Thank you for your help.
The thing is we have not told him we would not go if he didn't, that is our thought.
We have played it the other way and said we are going and if he wants to stay that is entirely his choice, it then gave us an idea of how he feels about the situation and that is how we have come to this decision knowing that our son would come if he didn't have to leave his girlfriend behind.
I have also gone over the prospect of if we stayed and not emigrate and their relationship ends, then that would be the end to everything for us as our visas run out very soon.
I feel sad that our son is having to make a decision like this because we are emigrating and that if he possibly makes that decision to stay then it will also split him up from his brother.
Another thought was what happens if our son meets some one and moves away from us, we have to do what is right for us as well.
As for being self sufficient its very surprising how children can be when needed and i am sure that if need be our son would be fine.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Do a WHV then a defacto if they are still together and providing they can prove that they are living with each other for 12 months previous. Your son has PR so can sponsor and doesn't have to wait any amount of time I believe before this other than the time needed in the relationship.

The WHV has limitations obviously in terms of employment but the defacto doesnt and certainly beats going back to education which will be very costly indeed if you are on a student visa.

But of course it then begs the question, what will her parents think about all that....
My sons girlfriend lives with her mother and i am not sure what she would think about her daughter going to the other side of the world, this is another obstacle to pass.
But as they say nothing stops young love.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:45 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi, working holiday visa is what we though to do at first, but we didn't know what you would do after that but you seem to have some good ideas , its just that i don't know what the harvest trail is and do they have that in Brisbane. And i don't know what the de facto visa is either, if you could explain for me that would be great.
Ill do my best my brother is on the working holiday visa in Australia now very easy to get and comes back very quick as well here is a link explaining all about it and application form.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work.../417/index.htm

the harvest trail basically you spend 3 months working on farms fruit picking veg picking , sheep etc you don't have to do the 3 months all together in one go they just have to be completed before the first whv is up here is a link showing what types you can do and were http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail...aspx?State=QLD
you have to have a form completed as proof you have completed the work
my brother is doing this to stay the extra year as far as i know it is hard work and better to do in the cooler weather you wont get rich on the pay but free accommodation and usually make great friends

another option would be finding work and the employer sponsoring her to work for them then she would be able to stay in Australia and as far as i know then eventually apply for pr some one else will know more on that

or a spouse visa here is a link explaining it http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...01/index.htm#a
from what i can see with this visa your son would be the sponsor but he has to be an # Australian citizen # an Australian permanent resident
to be able to do this here is the link explaining the eligibility
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...ty-defacto.htm
your son and his girlfriend have to be in a relationship for 12 months before applying for visa
I hope that help Niamh
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion

Do you know how they would prove they had been living with each other for 12 months previously as my son virtually does at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.