Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Smelly floor drains

Help Smelly floor drains

Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Smelly floor drains

I think most oz houses have floor drains fitted in the bathrooms, this is the second rental I have had where the drains seem to get smelly after a couple of months, anyone know how to fix this?

The drains are small white circle holes in the floor covered with a grate, I have noticed when bath or showers are used some water flows through the drain but some remains behind, I think its this stagnet water that is causing the smell. I have stuck a hose pipe down and there doesnt seem to be any blockages?

Anyone got some ideas?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:14 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help Smelly floor drains

Hi - yeah we get the same thing too! We just keep sticking Domestos down the drains - It works for a few days - then have to repeat!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I think most oz houses have floor drains fitted in the bathrooms, this is the second rental I have had where the drains seem to get smelly after a couple of months, anyone know how to fix this?

The drains are small white circle holes in the floor covered with a grate, I have noticed when bath or showers are used some water flows through the drain but some remains behind, I think its this stagnet water that is causing the smell. I have stuck a hose pipe down and there doesnt seem to be any blockages?

Anyone got some ideas?
Put 2-3 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda down there followed by a cupful of white vinegar. It will fizz up - leave for a few minutes and then tip a kettle of boiling water down. Works for me
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

Anyone got some ideas?
A lot of house waste pipes drain to the floor waste which is the air trap that stops the smells. If the bathroom hasnt been used for a time the water evaporates, letting the smells out.

Just pour some water down the floor waste and that should fix it.

WW
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The drain in the floor is a central trap that the shower, vanity & bath all run into. If you have kids you may notice that if they use too much soap or shampoo it sometimes bubbles up through the trap. As there's a central trap the shower etc. often don't have them, skin, hair & soap etc. build up in the pipes and can create unpleasant odours. If it's really bad use a drain cleaner product available from hardware stores. Usually a dose of bleach will cure the smells though. As the other poster said bicarb works well as does white vinegar.
If you live in a rental not connected to the mains sewerage, do not use bleach in the drains as it kills the bacteria in the septic/treatment plant. There are "green" products available the "Earth" range are good. We haven't used bleach for two yrs now as our system is a biocycle one, we don't have any unwanted smells.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:52 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

the best thing to do is just run a little water thro them to keep em fresh....i notice they pong a bit more when hubby has been shaving, its the hair that stinks, it all seems to collect in the middle drain in the floor....so as said before some bicarb and vinegar or a mild solution of bleach once a week
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:46 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids View Post
Put 2-3 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda down there followed by a cupful of white vinegar. It will fizz up - leave for a few minutes and then tip a kettle of boiling water down. Works for me
I vote for this method as well but have not used the hot water bit.

White vinegar is great for lots of things, make sure you dab it on after pet accidents, it clears smell and helps make the pet avoid doing the same thing twice in the same areas.

Any others tip for white vinegar other benefits?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

You should be able to buy some sort of drain un blocker - its in the form of wire with a windy handle. Send that down there to shift the mess. 2nd good trick is to use a plunger and or old style mop to force the blockage. Mops work pretty well for blocked loos too so try that before calling out plumber! Once cleared keep them clean as per above mentioned posts!
Cheers,
Dan
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the answers the smell has been driving me crazy, will give those ideas a try now, cheers
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Any others tip for white vinegar other benefits?[/QUOTE]

I read yesterday on the net about white vinegar on a cloth to wipe down your stainless steel hob followed by a little oil on a paper towel. Vinegar cuts through the grease and then the oil (only a little) shines it up. It worked brilliantly last night. I've tried vinegar diluted in a spray bottle for shower screens but wasn't as good as the cleaners that you can buy that have an orange oil in them. I always use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in the washer as a fabric conditioner and find that's great. Found it too harsh though in water to mop floor tiles as it seemed to strip the shine off.

Any more anyone?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

we were having work done in the house and the bathroom was out of action for a few days and the smell at the end of it was bad but after some investigations found out that our wonderful son was peeing in the shower rather than using the toilet first, just a thought maybe you need to some investigating yourself, Paul
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:38 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
I vote for this method as well but have not used the hot water bit.

White vinegar is great for lots of things, make sure you dab it on after pet accidents, it clears smell and helps make the pet avoid doing the same thing twice in the same areas.

Any others tip for white vinegar other benefits?
Has anyone ever bought the book about the uses of vinegar that's advertised in the sunday papers in the UK ?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Try googling white vinegar - it's very good for tons of things.

Cleaning ovens, you put bicarb soda on the trays, then spray with white vinegar, leave in for a day or so (keep it damp by spraying whever you think of it), then wash and the black stuff falls off the oven trays, no need for strong chemicals.

Super to use white vinegar and water to clean windown (I have glass doors to my balcony, works so well my father walked into the door the other day!!).

Clean a clogged showerhead with some white vinegar in a bag tied to the showerhead overnight.

I use it for heaps of things now - there are a few "chemical free" cleaning websites that send email newsletters out with great ideas.

I never was able to make my laundry drain stop smelling though, I tried EVERYTHING but it needed re-cleaning once a week otherwise it smelled like something died in there!!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman2 View Post
we were having work done in the house and the bathroom was out of action for a few days and the smell at the end of it was bad but after some investigations found out that our wonderful son was peeing in the shower rather than using the toilet first, just a thought maybe you need to some investigating yourself, Paul
Add to either teachyourself tips or make sure son had his own shower!

lucky my son has own very dated 70's shower
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:11 pm
Gone Senile Member

The other thing is the price of white vinegar!

Anywat without boring the people who price banana and lettuce (I quite agree!!)

GO TO ALDI

white vinegar....as you all agree is brilliant...cheap as chips 5 litres!!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.