Reload this Page >

Help - skilled migration problems

Help - skilled migration problems

Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

AndyTrickett is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help - skilled migration problems

Hello,
I'm new to this so please bear with me, I have decided to move to Oz, and paid for an Agent because I had enough points for Skilled Migration, my problem is that I left my trade of Toolmaker (15 years experience) only 18 months ago, now I'm a taxi driver, but want to get back into Toolmaking in Oz. But as we have no relatives, we are finding it harder and harder to get a way in. I could easily prove my experience but no qualifications except experience. I have been looking for jobs via the web, and have joined lots of agencies, but you must all know the problems of that.
Australia are crying out for Toolmakers but where, we would love Adelaide but can't find any companies there.
I don't expect someone to give me a job, I just need pointing in the right direction, or someone to tell me how to get the local job papers.
We are on holiday in Oz from October 8th for 1 month and I have one appointment at an agency for prospective employment. But I don't think that is enough. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Andy
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:09 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - skilled migration problems

Hi Andy,
Welcome to BE.
I've just had a look on www.careerone.com.au.
If you type in Toolmaker in the Jobsearch and leave the rest blank it comes up with 16 jobs for Toolmakers, and the first one listed is in Adelaide!

Hope this helps.
Julie
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hello andy and welcome to BE.

I'm not sure about your trade, but as a nurse going on a skilled migrant visa, you have to prove that you have worked consecutively for 12 months i think it is and more than 20 hours a week.

i'm sure you'll get lots of advice but your agent should be able to give you all the answers.

good luck

debbie
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...evel=3&EDID=40

http://www.streetsofadelaide.com.au/...toolmakers.htm

http://www.australianmalls.com.au/Ad...arch=Engineers

http://www.diemould.com.au/contact.htm
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:57 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried www.seek.com.au
Old Sep 21st 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AndyTrickett
Hello,
I'm new to this so please bear with me, I have decided to move to Oz, and paid for an Agent because I had enough points for Skilled Migration, my problem is that I left my trade of Toolmaker (15 years experience) only 18 months ago, now I'm a taxi driver, but want to get back into Toolmaking in Oz. But as we have no relatives, we are finding it harder and harder to get a way in. I could easily prove my experience but no qualifications except experience. I have been looking for jobs via the web, and have joined lots of agencies, but you must all know the problems of that.
Australia are crying out for Toolmakers but where, we would love Adelaide but can't find any companies there.
I don't expect someone to give me a job, I just need pointing in the right direction, or someone to tell me how to get the local job papers.
We are on holiday in Oz from October 8th for 1 month and I have one appointment at an agency for prospective employment. But I don't think that is enough. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Andy
Hi, as far as we have been told you dont need qualifications just proof via references that you worked in said trade for 6 consecutive years. My husband was a chef 10 years ago but had 6 yrs experience and we have been told by our agents that, that is enough to get us in. Havent been TRA assessed yet so the proof is in the pudding.

Also a very good friend of ours moved out to Melbourne last year and he is a toolmaker. he found work easily and is now in a really well paid job that he loves.

Good luck in your journey.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebardies
Hi, as far as we have been told you dont need qualifications just proof via references that you worked in said trade for 6 consecutive years. My husband was a chef 10 years ago but had 6 yrs experience and we have been told by our agents that, that is enough to get us in. Havent been TRA assessed yet so the proof is in the pudding.

Also a very good friend of ours moved out to Melbourne last year and he is a toolmaker. he found work easily and is now in a really well paid job that he loves.

Good luck in your journey.
I agree with the previous poster, I got my 136 visa with consecutive years experience. I work in IT without a degree. Just goes to show that experience does count in some matters.
However when you get here some companies won't give you a chance until you have Australian experience. How does that work.
You would think they would embrace experience but that is not the case.

I didn't experience this but my wife is. It appears some industries are still a few years behind.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:53 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
I agree with the previous poster, I got my 136 visa with consecutive years experience. I work in IT without a degree. Just goes to show that experience does count in some matters.
However when you get here some companies won't give you a chance until you have Australian experience. How does that work.
You would think they would embrace experience but that is not the case.

I didn't experience this but my wife is. It appears some industries are still a few years behind.

You need to have recent work experience in a trade listed on the skilled occupation list ( SOL) I don't think Taxi Driver is on there, so check it out carefully. You may need to change jobs , I would seek the advice of a good agent like Go Matilda or George Lombard.