Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! Shaken in my faith a bit today.

Help! Shaken in my faith a bit today.

Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:38 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! Shaken in my faith a bit today.

Please send me some karma and give me some reassuring words. I am having a bit of a blue patch at the moment.

After the relief of having medicals last week which seemed to go well we are now in a bit of a gap until they ask for them so no excitement at the mo. It is too early to put the house on the market as we aren't going to be around for a few weekends to show anyone around.

The doctor recommended a letter each from our GP (just to be safe) but my GP responded as if I had asked for a bucket of blue steam and my wife's GP is on holiday for 3 weeks and none of the other doctors will do it.

The move now seems to have sunk home with our daughter (7) as she keeps saying she doesn't want to go and keeps clinging to us when we leave for work / leave her in the playground. I know she will make new friends but it looks like she will be upset for a few months. She hasn't been getting as much attention as she is used to.

Our parents took it quite well, all considering, when we told them but we said this weekend that now a family wedding in August is not happening we could possibly go a bit sooner than October as I only have a contract to June and they have gone a bit sullen on us.

I don't think anyone could accuse me of rose-tinted glasses but these riots in Perth (our likely destination) were a bit of a shock to the system too.

So either send me a virtual slap around the face or kind words please. I think I need both.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:54 pm
Jed
Shut it

Location: It's like talking to half hundred weight of condemmed veal...
Jed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really niceJed is just really nice
Default Re: Help! Shaken in my faith a bit today.

Originally Posted by worzel
Please send me some karma and give me some reassuring words. I am having a bit of a blue patch at the moment.

After the relief of having medicals last week which seemed to go well we are now in a bit of a gap until they ask for them so no excitement at the mo. It is too early to put the house on the market as we aren't going to be around for a few weekends to show anyone around.

The doctor recommended a letter each from our GP (just to be safe) but my GP responded as if I had asked for a bucket of blue steam and my wife's GP is on holiday for 3 weeks and none of the other doctors will do it.

The move now seems to have sunk home with our daughter (7) as she keeps saying she doesn't want to go and keeps clinging to us when we leave for work / leave her in the playground. I know she will make new friends but it looks like she will be upset for a few months. She hasn't been getting as much attention as she is used to.

Our parents took it quite well, all considering, when we told them but we said this weekend that now a family wedding in August is not happening we could possibly go a bit sooner than October as I only have a contract to June and they have gone a bit sullen on us.

I don't think anyone could accuse me of rose-tinted glasses but these riots in Perth (our likely destination) were a bit of a shock to the system too.

So either send me a virtual slap around the face or kind words please. I think I need both.

Hi - its Rooksie - just setting my husband up.

for what its worth im sure we all have moments like this - Hell i know i do and im only at TRA stage. mothering sunday did it for me - i decided there and then i couldnt do it to my mother - im now back on track.

it is going to break their hearts when our girls leave their school. in fact, when we moved to torquay our eldest was about 7 and you know what, she made new friends and forgot about her old school in a matter of hours - it really is remarkable how well and quickly they adapt. really dont worry too much about your daughter - she will surprise you, honest!!

as for meds, is anybody's really straight forward - i very much doubt it!!? my husband has a very nasty stomach ulcer which has to be watched annually and the medication is super expensive - but isnt that what we pay agents for, to get us through this s**t and all the red tape?!

fear yee not matey .... or you will have a stomach ulcer too!!!!

*SLAP*

Last edited by Jed; Mar 8th 2005 at 1:10 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:05 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Worzel, you will be amazed at how resiliant kids actually are, I know from being a forces wife that they adapt very quickly (usually quicker than the adults), once she gets into a routine she will be fine. As for you parents maybe it was a case of October is long way off so we don`t have to really think about it, now that you are talking June time - well thats a lot nearer and maybe they`ve just had a jolt of reality as to the enormity of it all.
Keep your chin up & I will send some karma
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Worzel, I just send you some karma!
I think it's only natural to go thru highs and lows - and monumental ones at that - in the run up to the big move (the 'rollercoaster'!!). Every one is going to show apprehensions at some point, including your daughter and your parents. You'll probably be on this rollercoaster for a good few moths yet so just make sure you keep confiding in your nearest and dearest about how you feel - talking things over can make heaps of difference.
Good luck with everything
HP
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Worzel
Take a deep breath, it's only natural to feel anxious but it won't do any good! Regarding riots etc. it's not everywhere, make sure you rent and find out about areas before commiting to buy and you should avoid any trouble spots. It's much easier to get the feel of the place when you're renting than trying to research over the internet. It's tempting to have a huge urge to get back onto the housing ladder, but some people make mistakes by buying too soon.

Regarding your 7 year old daughter - mine is also 7 and has coped with the move remarkably well. We found the time taken for everything to fall into place in the UK helped her to get her head round the idea. We did all the farewells, phototaking etc. and got her friends email addresses. She misses her best friend still; they were very close and had been together at school since they were 4. They still email, phone and write regularly and every so often we send little parcels too. She found making friends hard as we came fairly close to Christmas and all the class had made their friends, but it would be easier for your daughter to slot in earlier on in the school year. Mine has got more friends now since they started in new (mixed) classes in February. We get emails from her old school and they sent a lovely Christmas card; a photo of the whole class waving to her. All this has given her a sense of still being connected and it's reassuring to know they haven't forgotten about her. Who knows, when we go back to visit we may be able to catch up with some of them.
I feel quite strongly that you shouldn't be overprotective about your children and it's important not to emphasise one particular friendship at this age. My daughter's best friend could have easily moved to another part of the UK and then she would have been stuck on her own at school. They were a bit "too close" as according to the teachers they were kind of "lost" when the other one was off school. I feel I probably need to make more of an effort now to have her school friends home or take her out to different clubs etc. where she can gradually make friends with kids outside of school.
ATB
Larissa

You may also get some comfort in the fact that Aussie kids seem to move around more than their UK counterparts - if you do end up in Perth there is bound to be some Pommie kids or kids from other Aussie cities in the class.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:10 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Worzel

I too have a child now saying he doesn't want to go and leave all his friends. He has just turned six and hates school. However he is v. close to his cousin who is in the same class and he has relied on him for support from day 1. Cousin is v. confident and outgoing and James is quiet and sensitive, shy etc. His teacher has said that he is starting to become more independent though now, although I haven't mentioned that it is about time, cause we're planning on heading off downunder. Have you mentioned it to school yet? If so, did they treat yours any different - this is my worry.

Anyway as for family, my lot all hated the idea and I couldn't talk to them about it, until now. They are much more supportive and even thinking (my parents) about coming out too. We are v. close you see. Hubbie's parents hugely supportive throughout and so were his sisters although all now seem to be breaking down when the "A" word crops up. Not what you need especially for me cause I can burst into tears at the drop of a hat and I would rather not think about the day we go.

We have got meds booked for a week today and agent reckons if all goes through, bond paid, we should have visas by July. House been on the market for three weeks, but no interest other than the nosy neighbours. Nightmare.

Chin up and have a drink tonight .. and perhaps we'll have one too. Purely for medicinal purposes you understand.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:23 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Help! Shaken in my faith a bit today.

Hi Ya,I know just how you feel. we decided we wanted to move to Perth about 3 years ago but had complications with TRA, but thats sorted now. my daughters all said they wanted to come, now my eldestest who is nearly 18 thinks she may want to stay here ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Cant stand the thought of it, I love her to bits and shes my best friend, hoping once we get a yes she too will be able to sit and think its for real. However, my advise to you is that we all have these days but lifes not a rehearsal!! We have one chance at it so go for it or you will be forever wondering!!! you can always come back, so take the bull by the horns, your daughter will love it im sure.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A good slap on the way Worzel

Best wishes

G
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Worzel

I`ve had a few low points also and our 7 y/o does not want to go either I think its very natural to feel this way....its a huge step and lots of changes ....the worst part for me is when my daughter says she does`nt want to go....I end up feeling so guilty!! but I`m sure she will be fine once we get there (I hope)

All the best and I`m sure it will pass soon. I`ve noticed that your going to the Sandown meet that will cheer you up, its so nice to talk to people that are doing the same thing.

Sue nearly forgot SLAP!! I`ll try to send some Karma....if it lets me

Last edited by Sue2; Mar 8th 2005 at 3:22 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
A good slap on the way Worzel

Best wishes

G
And believe you me, a slap from Father Jack will be an experience to remember!!

I didn't hear about any riots. Could anyone enlighten me?

It's normal to be anxious. Moving home is one of the most stressful things we do in life. So moving to another country is an even bigger deal for most folks. Talk to those who've made the move and found all the hassle paid off in the end. I think they're an inspiration to us all.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
And believe you me, a slap from Father Jack will be an experience to remember!!

It's normal to be anxious. Moving home is one of the most stressful things we do in life. So moving to another country is an even bigger deal for most folks. Talk to those who've made the move and found all the hassle paid off in the end. I think they're an inspiration to us all.

Hiya Tony

Well said

I`ve just done a bump on London post have a look see if your up for a

Sue
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:42 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down man*slaps worzel on the face* now I've calmed you down we all have doubts every now and again it's only natural and as over posters have said children really do adapt quickly.Once she see's all those beautiful beaches ect i'm sure she'll be fine. Our freinds went with 6 & 8 yea rold boys and they've never been so happy. Some karma on it's way -Fraser
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi worzel,sorry to hear your on a downer,it seems to be normal to be on a bit of a rollercoaster from what ive read,and i think most of the children will miss their mates but once they get there they ll just get on with things,as you know kerry does and doesnt want to go if you get my drift

Karma on its way boy im sendin loades out today....
tracey
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:55 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll be right mate sending some karama.

We were in perth end o last year with 5yr old in tow, he loved everything, now talks about it more than us! keeps asking when we are going back??

But the little blighter is very demanding only wants a house that has a slide into the pool !
I'll be happy with a beer fridge
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38

I wouldn't call them riots, these were 'just' parties getting totally out of hand. (because teenagers can't go out here till 18, they have more big parties etc), which reguraly happens, but I guess the ones on the weekend were a bit worse than normal.
And then there's the violent home invasion Renth's neighbours had, but that's not a very common thing.
Then there's the hoons, they're everywhere.

Slap!!!! You'll be right. I think it already helps that you are going with eyes wide open, and when you know things can happen, you are more prepared.
It's not paradise, but it's certainly not a hell hole either, well, not where most of the expats end up anyway!!

Last edited by Simone; Mar 9th 2005 at 12:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.