Reload this Page >

Help! Setting up telephone line / broadband on rental property

Help! Setting up telephone line / broadband on rental property

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Setting up telephone line / broadband on rental property

Hi All,
Hoping someone can help me out with the below query as I'm presently on very slow restricted satellite internet that is making research a S.L.O.W process

I've just signed a lease agreement on a flat in (central) Melbourne & want to get broadband set up asap. The flat has a telephone line installed from what I've viewed.
I've been looking into the numerous companies (like iinet, internode, exetel etc) that can provide naked DSL / ADSL2 options, as they are much better packages for the prices & I download quite a bit - hence need a good monthly allowance size. I absolutely DON'T want to sign up to Telstra or Optus.

From what I can gather - I initially need to pay a basic connection fee to Telstra to have the phone line activated & only then can I start applying to alternative broadband companies to sign up for 1 of their broadband packages - is this correct?

Do I have to sign up to a telstra package & stay with them for an initial period (like BT used to be 3 months line rental before you could pay to change from their service to another provider) or do I just pay the $59 basic connection fee then promptly contact a broadband supplier to get them to sign me up for a new account?

And finally - anyone out there who does download a lot - can you recommend a particular supplier that in your opinion offers good fast customer service with competitive broadband prices?
(I've been looking on the whirlpool forums, still not sure who to pick!)

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:11 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Setting up telephone line / broadband on rental property

Originally Posted by LiseM
do I just pay the $59 basic connection fee then promptly contact a broadband supplier to get them to sign me up for a new account?
I believe this is correct, having just done this. I paid Telstra the $59 fee, then a few days later I got Internode to switch the line over to ADSL2+. Telstra didn't block or it (AFAICS) try to bill me for any other months. There seems to be the general principle (don't know if universal or enforceable) that either you pay a setup fee OR a disconnection fee, but not both.

I went with Internode because they came highly recommended on Whirlpool and because they do not charge a fee to upgrade/downgrade your level of service (e.g. traffic volumes - I have no idea how much we were using per month before as it was all unlimited). So far it's been great.

One downside: it took two weeks to make the Telstra to Internode transition, and apparently this isn't uncommon! If you really need net access in the interim, you might want to consider getting a 3 Mobile Broadband USB dongle - not superexpensive and pretty good speeds (fast enough to use Skype for example).
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:40 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

[QUOTE=lapin_windstar;7405692] you might want to consider getting a 3 Mobile Broadband USB dongle - not superexpensive and pretty good speeds/QUOTE]

I can second that. Using Vodafone 3G USB Dongle. Vodafone are very helpful which is more than I can say for Telstra and considerably cheaper. It's a 24 month contract but the beauty of it is that as it's a USB you can use it anywhere when travelling if using a laptop. There aren't any connections to be moved or changed.

The biggest problem we faced was knowing what our usage would be as we were used to paying a flat fee per month unlimited access. Telstra tried to talk us in to signing up for 12GB. We have 5GB but don't actually use 1GB pm.

We used it when travelling and can send texts and have international roaming set up on it should we need it.

It's great
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! So when you called telstra to have the line activated - was there any discussion on having to sign up for a month's line rental (basically paying $27.95 for the month whilst you get the broadband provider to take over the line)?
Have just been reading the internode website & although their package isn't as competitive as other companies - they do have a very good reputation, so they're on the shortlist. Did you buy any of their recommended hardware as well - like ADSL2 wireless router? (I don't have one & will need to purchase from somewhere. Is $199 good value?)

Just looking up the 3 wireless mobile options but the borrowed satellite internet I'm on is a nightmare for research. It's a possibility to tide me over for a month if it's cheap & no contract - but it won't support the kind of intensive downloading I do for longterm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with Big Pond since inception and have had no problems with Telstra at all. I pay $79 a month for ADSL2 12 gb and then we are shaped.

I have moved up and down plans and never been charged a fee for changing plans.

If there is a problem with my phone line or my modem they fix it very quickly. The last time they arrived at my home the same day.

I also have Telstra Wireless for when we go up country as it has the best coverage.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I went with TPG - for $60 a month I get 35 gig peak and another 35gig off peak (1am - 6am) so can let the old Torrents go wild in this time. Alos, TPG do not charge for upload.

I could get Telstra cable at speeds around 30meg where I am, but decided to stay with the phoneline and see what I got - which equates to about 9-10meg speeds. I was on 6.5meg in the UK so this seems quicker.

What I have noticed is that while Aus sites are very fast, getting into some sites in the UK (sky news for example) does tend to take longer showing the links from Aus to the rest of the world to me do not seem as fast as when in the UK to the rest of the world.