Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help....Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot Areas etc

Help....Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot Areas etc

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help....Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot Areas etc

Help .......

Until a few hours ago we thought we would move to Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot and Bridgeman Down areas. But have since read they can be extremely hot (even for locals) compared to Bayside and Cleveland. We do like the acreage plots which you don't seem to get by the sea. Would the heat still be the same in say Caboolture going more north.

Any help would be great, thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help....Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot Areas etc

Don't claim to understand the science behind the weather but on a practical note (we live near to the suburbs you mentioned) we have found that a house designed for the climate is a big advantage. We only notice the heat when we go outside and washing the car or mowing the lawn is torture at the 'wrong' time of day. A short trip to the coast makes us realise how much cooler it is there but individual houses can make a big difference (as our neighbours will testify)

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Help .......

Until a few hours ago we thought we would move to Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot and Bridgeman Down areas. But have since read they can be extremely hot (even for locals) compared to Bayside and Cleveland. We do like the acreage plots which you don't seem to get by the sea. Would the heat still be the same in say Caboolture going more north.

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

PennyHen, Ascot is definitely not an acreage area, perhaps you meant Aspley? (Although thats not acreage either! but its closer to the other suburbs you mentioned) Ascot is a trendy upmarket yuppy suburb very close to the centre of the city with extremely overpriced housing IMO on tiny 400 sqm blocks of land. Good if you like caffe lattes though .

Caboolture wont be as hot as say Samford & will be alot cheaper, but is hotter than the Bayside area . We do have acreage down in the bayside area, we live on 2½ acres ourselves, some of it is more affordable than others. If you want a larger block(1 acre+) (& obviously arent too worried about commute times, otherwise you probably wouldnt be looking at Samford or Caboolture) in the cheaper price range for this area ($500K-$1M), try Capalaba, Thornlands, Sheldon, Carbrook, Cornubia, Alexandra Hills, Ransome, Birkdale & Wakerley.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:02 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: Help....Samford, Albany Creek, Ascot Areas etc

Help .......

Naturally, the comparison of the two areas to which you refer (NW v SE) is going to vary greatly and people will be biased due to their own location, however:

Firstly I agree with Mrs Dagboy about one of your locations. Ascot is an inner NE suburb; not in the area you've been looking at.

I live in the metro NW (The Gap), so I guess I'm biased that way, but don't find it unbearably hot and the difference in temps is only minor. Like anywhere, if you buy in a gully/closed valley area, it'll be warmer; if you buy on a hill, it'll get the breezes more and be cooler - generally speaking.

Samford is a lovely place. It's just over the hill from me and I've been there loads of times. It's a wide open valley with lots of trees, so does get breezes, perhaps more shade, etc. Yes, it's likely to be a degree or two warmer than the seaside areas, but ??? *shrugs*! These days, aircon is cheaper and many people are installing it no matter where they live.

Have a look at the following website. http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/ It's not very well structured, but if you go to about halfway down the page, you'll find some interesting info about the Samford area. The site is by an ex-Brit who's been in Samford about 3 years now I think and is well worth a read.

Don't be put off too quickly by the seaside dwellers. Whilst the Bayside area is lovely, it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I'd recommend spending some time in various different areas to get a feel for them, then make your own decision based on what you are personally comfortable with.

There are pros and cons to all areas, and we all differ in our needs. My advice is to check it out for yourself!

PR

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:02 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
PennyHen, Ascot is definitely not an acreage area, perhaps you meant Aspley? (Although thats not acreage either! but its closer to the other suburbs you mentioned) Ascot is a trendy upmarket yuppy suburb very close to the centre of the city with extremely overpriced housing IMO on tiny 400 sqm blocks of land. Good if you like caffe lattes though .

Caboolture wont be as hot as say Samford & will be alot cheaper, but is hotter than the Bayside area . We do have acreage down in the bayside area, we live on 2½ acres ourselves, some of it is more affordable than others. If you want a larger block(1 acre+) (& obviously arent too worried about commute times, otherwise you probably wouldnt be looking at Samford or Caboolture) in the cheaper price range for this area ($500K-$1M), try Capalaba, Thornlands, Sheldon, Carbrook, Cornubia, Alexandra Hills, Ransome, Birkdale & Wakerley.

Hope this helps.

Reilably informed that coffee and cheesecake is popular in the bayside area though!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Help .......

A few thoughts from our reccie trip last June:

Samford is lovely, I'd live there. Don't worry about the heat, Aussies are pussies & whinge about everything.
Move to Caboolture if you want to live with rednecks. I thought we'd driven onto the filmset of Deliverance or The Dukes of Hazzard. All that was missing was a little boy playing the banjo.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

pomcol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Naturally, the comparison of the two areas to which you refer (NW v SE) is going to vary greatly and people will be biased due to their own location, however:

Firstly I agree with Mrs Dagboy about one of your locations. Ascot is an inner NE suburb; not in the area you've been looking at.

I live in the metro NW (The Gap), so I guess I'm biased that way, but don't find it unbearably hot and the difference in temps is only minor. Like anywhere, if you buy in a gully/closed valley area, it'll be warmer; if you buy on a hill, it'll get the breezes more and be cooler - generally speaking.

Samford is a lovely place. It's just over the hill from me and I've been there loads of times. It's a wide open valley with lots of trees, so does get breezes, perhaps more shade, etc. Yes, it's likely to be a degree or two warmer than the seaside areas, but ??? *shrugs*! These days, aircon is cheaper and many people are installing it no matter where they live.

Have a look at the following website. http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/ It's not very well structured, but if you go to about halfway down the page, you'll find some interesting info about the Samford area. The site is by an ex-Brit who's been in Samford about 3 years now I think and is well worth a read.

Don't be put off too quickly by the seaside dwellers. Whilst the Bayside area is lovely, it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I'd recommend spending some time in various different areas to get a feel for them, then make your own decision based on what you are personally comfortable with.

There are pros and cons to all areas, and we all differ in our needs. My advice is to check it out for yourself!

PR

I have to agree with proofreader, You nead to check all avenues.
I have lived in the Caboolture area since 1979 and love the place, but it is not everybody`s cup of tea.
Samford or Dayboro are very nice rural areas, depending on what sort of money you are thinking of spending. Most places have cool breezes at differant times of the day, depends if you want the fresh salt air or the the clean country air.
Nobody as mentioned the bayside suburbs of Sandgate or Woody Point and good old Redcliffe, All have good and bad points,its just what takes your fancy. Mines Caboolture.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light

Mark and Julie, Mrs Dagboy, Proof Reader and The bloke (I do like Cheesecake) thanks for the advice. Its put my mind at rest now. I don't know where Ascot came from (husband shouting out wrong area)!!!

We don't really need to travel to city for work. Husband is a builder (bricklaying is his trade) and can find work hopefully anywhere - beside the outback. Our plans are to rent initially and then buy some land and build our own home. (which is what we have done in the UK along with renovating, etc).

Does anyone see any problems with this idea?
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Pomcol

We did very much like Caboolture - but something is niggling away about it.

I did once read it has quite a high crime/umemployment rate. Which I'm not sure can be totally true for the whole area.

You get a little good and bad in all areas
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A few thoughts from our reccie trip last June:

Samford is lovely, I'd live there. Don't worry about the heat, Aussies are pussies & whinge about everything.
Move to Caboolture if you want to live with rednecks. I thought we'd driven onto the filmset of Deliverance or The Dukes of Hazzard. All that was missing was a little boy playing the banjo.
What a load of codswollup,No wonder Aussies take offence to poms with comments like that. Your not thinking of moving here i hope........
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't mean to offend - I was just stating what I had read on this site.

I don't usually post so perhaps I'll just keep to reading and searching.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

I didn't mean to offend - I was just stating what I had read on this site.

I don't usually post so perhaps I'll just keep to reading and searching.
No you did not offend me but i think the other post may have been to Caboolture when there are a few cowboys in town for the local show in June.
Best wishes for what ever you decide,
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

PR, Ive lived in both the western suburbs & bayside area (the former for many years), Im not trying to put anyone off anything, just stating facts & correcting the misconception that there is no acreage in the bayside area.

You're right, everyone has different needs & likes different things, & you really need to see a place to make a decision.

Pomcol, my niece lives on acreage up your way, up behind the Big Fish, she loves it. But there are definitely areas of Caboolture that, lets say, arent so nice .

Pennyhen, I see no problem with your plan, renting in an area first gives you a first hand glimpse of what its like to live there, without being cemented in for too long.

Good luck with whatever you decide (& please dont stop posting ).
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:12 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
PR, Ive lived in both the western suburbs & bayside area (the former for many years), Im not trying to put anyone off anything, just stating facts & correcting the misconception that there is no acreage in the bayside area.

You're right, everyone has different needs & likes different things, & you really need to see a place to make a decision.
Mrs Dagboy, I wasn't, for one moment, suggesting that you were trying to put people off. I hadn't/haven't read any thread which may have been a forerunner to this thread of Pennyhen's, so I've absolutely no idea where Pennyhen got her information from. I was purely trying to reassure her and bring some balance back to the thoughts in her mind. When I mentioned 'seaside dwellers' it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

And Pennyhen, renting first is a good idea and one I've recommended to folks a number of times before. The building option is a longer and more involved process, but well worth it if you get what you want at the end of the day.

Pennyhen, you haven't offended. Ignore the people who get a bit narky (and I'm NOT talking about MrsDB) - they're not worth the effort of response. MrsDagboy is a well established poster and very helpful person. She has tons of good advice to give. There are quite a number of us on here who really enjoy assisting people whenever we can, so ask away! Please keep posting, Luvvie!

Cheers,
Chris