Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help !! Royal Navy skills assess!

Help !! Royal Navy skills assess!

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help !! Royal Navy skills assess!

We are just about to submit my husbands skills assessment as a general electrician to the TRA. Problem is i have just spoken to our agent and he is very worried that his skills are not relevant to civillian skills.
Has anybody else been successfull or failed because of this ?
any help would be really appreciated.

Nicky
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

John & Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help !! Royal Navy skills assess!

Hi what did he do in the Navy?

I've just had my skills successfully assessed by ACS so do know a little about it. The basic rule of thumb is he will need his service record and references to back up what he did.

You'd probably have better luck posting this in the imigration forum too
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 9:15 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyjohnt
We are just about to submit my husbands skills assessment as a general electrician to the TRA. Problem is i have just spoken to our agent and he is very worried that his skills are not relevant to civillian skills.

Nicky
What was he MEM(L) ?

Rate/Rank?

There might be other alternatives ie. Air con engineer ect.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I was in the Royal Navy as an electo/mechanical Artficer (MEA EL)but when I applied to TRA I had been in Civvy street for over 10 years.

A migration agent I spoke to at the annual Migrate Exhibition at Sandown advised me to apply as a General Electrician. However after reading the definitions of both General Electrician and Electrician Special Class, I decided that Electrician Special Class was more closer to my skills. I made my application without a migration agent and was successful. I have pasted the definition of both skills below which can be found at the following link.

Electrical skills definitions

4311-11 General Electrician
Electrical Fitter
Electrical Mechanic
Electrician

Installs, tests, connects, commissions, maintains and modifies electrical equipment, wiring and control systems.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:
• examines wiring diagrams and installation areas to plan layout of wiring systems
• responds to break downs, diagnoses and repairs electrical systems and ancillary equipment
• positions and installs electrical switchboards
• installs sheathed cables
• measures, cuts and installs plastic conduit and pulls wires through
• splices, twists and solders wires and applies tape or terminal caps
• connects installed wires to circuit breakers, transformers, timers and other electrical equipment
• installs and connects items such as switches, lighting fixtures and earthing systems
• connects electrical systems to power supply
• tests continuity of circuit
• may install, modify, maintain and repair electrical equipment such as storage heaters, water heaters, lighting, motors, electric signs or switchboards

4311-13 Electrician (Special Class)

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:
• diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
• analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
• uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
• dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
• test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
• records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
• may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
• may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

Not sure if this is any help but could be if you can provide evidence of experience in all or most of these areas. You just need to try and pick the skill that suits you most. Dont wholly rely on the agents opinion. He/she probably knows nothing about electrical skills and the differences between them. Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Sorry the link didnt work so try this:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs%4...4!OpenDocument
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Originally posted by nickyjohnt

Nicky
Hi

My husband spent 8 years in the Royal Air Force as an Electrical Technician (JT), I spent ages going through all the jobs on the list and eventually rang up Ian Harrop and he put me onto a fab website which gives all the tasks each job entails, it was really helpful, url is : www.abs.gov.au

then type in job title (e.g General electricain in the search box at the bottom of the left of the screen), hope this helps you and others in the same situation.

Also many people emailed me a copy of their evidence statements for me to check his tasks off against. Anyway we got through no probs, but his deeming date was given as any time served post RAF, thus his experience gained in the RAF was not relevant! If you like I can email you a copy of his evidence statement, let me know!

Last edited by JIVEBABE; Jun 24th 2004 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou everyone for your replies, they have been really helpfull ! My husband John is on his way home now on leave for the next couple of weeks, so we will have a look at all the imformation tonight.

Thanks again, feeling a little more confident now !

Nicky