Help Required

Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough
Default Help Required

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me. My Father is coming to Australia in three weeks time. He is staying for Christmas and the new year if we can hopefully get around the boarding card issue. Trouble is my Father can only sign his name. He can't write and would have no hope of filling in the boarding card for Singapore and then for Australia. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do without embarrassing him too much. Although I am aware he can't write it is not something we speak about. I have always wrote letters for him etc. I am really worried as he will have to fill in the boarding card twice and also his flight gets into Singapore at 7am and the connecting flight does not leave until 11pm that night. He will be absolutely lost and confused at the airport. Usually he goes on holiday with either my my sister or another member of the family. Any suggestions???
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help Required

Originally Posted by MistySunshine
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me. My Father is coming to Australia in three weeks time. He is staying for Christmas and the new year if we can hopefully get around the boarding card issue. Trouble is my Father can only sign his name. He can't write and would have no hope of filling in the boarding card for Singapore and then for Australia. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do without embarrassing him too much. Although I am aware he can't write it is not something we speak about. I have always wrote letters for him etc. I am really worried as he will have to fill in the boarding card twice and also his flight gets into Singapore at 7am and the connecting flight does not leave until 11pm that night. He will be absolutely lost and confused at the airport. Usually he goes on holiday with either my my sister or another member of the family. Any suggestions???

I'm sure if you speak to the airline they will get one of the cabin crew to fill out his immigration card, as long as he can give the information required. He will still sign the card so that would be ok. I'm sure this problem happens more than you would think.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Hi,
The only thing I can think off is to notify the airline and hopefully they can fill in his forms for him to sign. Sorry not much help. Might be worth doing enquiries with the airline. Good Luck
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. I think I will contact Singapore Airlines and see what they can do.
Does anyone have any experience of the Hotel in the Airport. I am thinking of booking him a room as his flight gets in at 7am and the connecting flight leaves at 11pm.
Any help would be grateful.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LesleyM
The only thing I can think off is to notify the airline and hopefully they can fill in his forms for him to sign. Sorry not much help. Might be worth doing enquiries with the airline. Good Luck
He will only have to fill one card in for landing in Australia not for Singapore as he does not officially land there if he stays in the airport. Contact the airline and check what assistance they offer, there are usually services for supporting all sorts of people - my children are too old for unaccompanied minor but are still too young to feel comfortable filling in the forms and dealing with customs so I request assistance and they get a special lounge to go to when getting off at and support gate to customs etc. I also get the support tailored to their needs and the airport staff have always been great - let them know your concerns and I am sure they will be discrete and helpful
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I glad you brought this up as my dad is in the same boat,but i hadnt thought of that.You could try requesting a couple ahead of time and get someone to fill them out before he leaves the UK,or ask someone on here thats coming over to pick up a couple xtra for you when they go through Singapore.Just a thought,let me know how you get on please as its one of those things thats a biggy but gets overlooked.
good luck
donna
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
He will only have to fill one card in for landing in Australia not for Singapore as he does not officially land there if he stays in the airport. Contact the airline and check what assistance they offer, there are usually services for supporting all sorts of people - my children are too old for unaccompanied minor but are still too young to feel comfortable filling in the forms and dealing with customs so I request assistance and they get a special lounge to go to when getting off at and support gate to customs etc. I also get the support tailored to their needs and the airport staff have always been great - let them know your concerns and I am sure they will be discrete and helpful
Thanks Sandra,
I worry that he will get lost or feel so embarrassed by the airline staff knowing his problem but if I can arrange for them to fill it in I will tell him it is easier for them (airline staff) as they do it all the time.
I will as you say request assistance and see if they could direct him from leaving the arrival gate to the hotel etc. he gets very confused and will be a little overwhelmed by the airport and being by himself.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My dad would be the same, fab man but cant read or write very good, ask someone to help him, tell them he has forgot his glasses. and they will fill it in for him. Denise
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donna
I glad you brought this up as my dad is in the same boat,but i hadnt thought of that.You could try requesting a couple ahead of time and get someone to fill them out before he leaves the UK,or ask someone on here thats coming over to pick up a couple xtra for you when they go through Singapore.Just a thought,let me know how you get on please as its one of those things thats a biggy but gets overlooked.
good luck
donna
Hi Donna,
I think something like this is not spoken about very much as we all presume people can write. He is a proud man and I would hate to think this spoiled his first trip to Australia.
I may contact the airline and ask them to send me some and fill them in and send them to him. Not sure what way to go yet but hopefully after I contact the airline I will know what to do. Do you think the check in staff at the airport will give my sister one and perhaps she could fill it in for him?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines are fab, and their customer service is absolutely superb. I am sure they have come across this plenty times before and will get round it discreetly. Why not give them a ring and explain the situation, you never know they might have a suggestion that you had not thought of.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Hi Donna,
I think something like this is not spoken about very much as we all presume people can write. He is a proud man and I would hate to think this spoiled his first trip to Australia.
I may contact the airline and ask them to send me some and fill them in and send them to him. Not sure what way to go yet but hopefully after I contact the airline I will know what to do. Do you think the check in staff at the airport will give my sister one and perhaps she could fill it in for him?
Just go on line and explain and request it .I had a special request when we flew with them(daughters birthday a)nd the customer service person was excellant,they also gave us double allowance when we wasnt officially entitled to it.
donna