Help required

Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

DanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help required

I need help!

Myself and family (wife and 2 girls) are seriously considering emmigrating to Oz but really need advice from a young(ish) family that have recently taken the plunge.
Our main motives would be slowing down life so we can see the girls grow up plus quality of life needs improving.

what we would like to know is about Education, crime, etc (plus spiders!!!!)

We are looking at moving to the suburbs of Sydney

Any help would be gratefully received.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:20 pm
WBB

Default Re: Help required

Originally posted by DanB
I need help!

Myself and family (wife and 2 girls) are seriously considering emmigrating to Oz but really need advice from a young(ish) family that have recently taken the plunge.
Our main motives would be slowing down life so we can see the girls grow up plus quality of life needs improving.

well you have come to the right place, i dont know much about sydney as im headed to brisbane but there are many here who will be in a very good position to help you.

try a search in the archives or ask a specific question.

emigration to oz is a long process and you will need patience and a sense of humour along the way, good luck.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

DanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Thanks for advice. Patience and a sense of humour do you know where I can buy those?

Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I wont be much help either as my kids are all grown up and we are going to Adelaide, but welcome to the board. I am sure theres plenty of others who can help you decide if its right.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I need help!

Explore jobs and wages V cost of living and see if less hours is a reality. Sydney is Very expensive. Crime same as anywhere really. Spiders, nothing to worry about, people panic, we dont even chuck them out the house unelss they are redbacks. Searches on most of these topics would give you heaps of results. A trip out here is never wasted money no matter what your decision will be. Do make sure you are aware of Sydney house prices, they can give you a heart attack

Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Thanks for advice. Patience and a sense of humour do you know where I can buy those?

With a wife AND 2 girls, you'll have plenty mate
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

I have found in Oz working hours are longer (standard is 40hr week unless govt sector then it's 37.5) and annual leave is less. I am living in Melbourne and cost of living is no different to the UK given the house prices/rental costs v salaries. I haven't found working life any less hectic and I do genuinely have less leisure time than in the UK (the fact that I've hoarded my annual leave so I can have 4 weeks in the UK over Xmas doesn't help). But I guess this depends on personal circumstances - the job, the company, where you live, etc.

As for crime, in a report published in this week's Bulletin (an Oz publication), the International Crime Survey rates Australia top amongst industrialised nations in the number of people affected by serious crime (30% compared to 26% in UK). Murder rating is 3 times better than the US but worse than the UK (i.e in Oz 1.9 murders per 100,000 pop, UK 1.61, US 5.64). .Depends how much you read into statistics tho.

Spiders? Well, I get less in my house than I did in the UK. Most people spray their property with barrier spray to prevent insects coming in and this certainly does seem to work. I get the odd whitetail but no bites yet! I'm more worried about the possum poo everywhere!

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I need help!

If you want the slow cheap quality life I do not think Sydney is your answer. Housing here is rediculous, people work long hours and commuting is crappy.

Sydney is a great city but not the place to get away from the rat race.