Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help re PR and skilled migration visa please...

Help re PR and skilled migration visa please...

Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

RachandGarry will become famous soon enough
Default Help re PR and skilled migration visa please...

Hi all

Hope you are all having a good day whether you are there already or still waiting!

I have a question re the visa mentioned in the title - hope someone can help... (I've tried to look on the official websites but my head is pounding from over-stimulation!!)

I have read messages on here about PR - permanent residency I am assuming - and that some of the visas don't qualify you for it. Like the job sponsorship option doesn't seem to offer you much assurance of a PR visa at the end of your contract. This doesn't sound right for us at all. I had assumed the Skilled Migration Visa (with no offer) would be considered a temporary work visa which is upgraded to permanent resident (if you apply) after 2 years. Am I assuming incorrectly?

Please someone put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance
Rachel x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re PR and skilled migration visa please...

Originally Posted by RachandGarry
Hi all

Hope you are all having a good day whether you are there already or still waiting!

I have a question re the visa mentioned in the title - hope someone can help... (I've tried to look on the official websites but my head is pounding from over-stimulation!!)

I have read messages on here about PR - permanent residency I am assuming - and that some of the visas don't qualify you for it. Like the job sponsorship option doesn't seem to offer you much assurance of a PR visa at the end of your contract. This doesn't sound right for us at all. I had assumed the Skilled Migration Visa (with no offer) would be considered a temporary work visa which is upgraded to permanent resident (if you apply) after 2 years. Am I assuming incorrectly?

Please someone put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance
Rachel x
There are permanent skilled visa's (PR from day one) like the 136 Skilled Independant visa which you don't need to have a job offer to apply for, there are also permanent employer sponsered ones like the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) which you do have to have an employer sponser you for. These are permanent from the outset.

On the other hand there are temporary visa's like Skilled Independant Regional (SIR) where you don't need an employer to sponser you or a 457 visa which you do. These are temporary and could lead to permanent but there's no guarantees.

There are so many different visa's it's hard to say which you would qualify for without more info. Take a look at the following links to find which you want/are eligible for.

Employer Sponsered Visa's:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...sa-options.htm

Skilled Independant Visa's:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ns-outside.htm

And for an overview of them all see here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/index.htm