Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help re areas to live around Mount Lawley please

Help re areas to live around Mount Lawley please

Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

keepingbabiesoffthefloor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help re areas to live around Mount Lawley please

Hi all, I look on for a job at Mercy as a midwife from next year. We have friends over there who say Mount Lawley is lovely but expensive. I will be moving over with husband who's looking to join the police once we have PR, and 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, and twin boys aged 7 when we come over.
We want to rent at least a 4 bed, and near schools and good transport links.
The hospital have offered a months accomodation when we get there. Oh wants to be near the sea, howver i want more house space for my money, nice neighbourhood, some life in walking distance, ie bars, restaurants, shops.

Nothing is written instone with the job yet and KEMH has also shown interest and asked me to call them next June, just a bit unsure as it's so big! Would love to hear anyones opinion of either hospital if they have one, but especially info about areas arount Mount Lawley, although my friend will go mad she wants us to move to Freo where they are. Thanks in adavnce xx
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

boonic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help re areas to live around Mount Lawley please

Hi there,

I worked in KEMH(King Eddie's to the locals) and lived in Leederville,which is close to Mount Lawley. King Eddie's is a great place to work,with good facilities and very nice staff.It isn't that big really either. It's also easily accessible by train,busn and car.Subiaco, where it's located is a realy nice suburb and on the train line to beachy places like Cottesloe and Fremantle.Mount Lawley is a nice area but is expensive, as are most places in Perth though.However,you probably can find a nicer,family orientated area that's cheaper.It depends exactly what kind of lifestyle your after.Perth is amazing.Best of luck with your move.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for your reply. Subiaco does sound appealing. Here's my wish list, I would like to live in a friendly quirky place with friendly people. Small local shops for daily fruit veg butchers etc. Being able to jump on train or bus with ease to the beach or elsewhere. Schools and colleges not too far away. My eldest isn't coming out with us, she may later, she's staying in Bath with her father my ex. So the children are alot easier to please now. Sporty, and for the boys would be looking at a local rugby club, and hopefully meet people out of work his and mine. My eldest daughter loves Art and is exceptional so would want to continue that. My youngest girl is sporty, bendy and beautiful and we are constantly warding of boys, bees and honey, her other occupation is swimming.
King Eddies by big i mean the birth rate and the high risk stuff they are dealing with. Just a thought it might be a bit much when I have all the settling to do as well, and Mercy appears alot less intense for a few years, can always change later.

Will look at where you suggested, back to packing for a week camping in Dorset, 10 kids and 4 adults and hopefully enough beer to numb it all xxx
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keepingbabiesoffthefloor
Thankyou for your reply. Subiaco does sound appealing. Here's my wish list, I would like to live in a friendly quirky place with friendly people. Small local shops for daily fruit veg butchers etc. Being able to jump on train or bus with ease to the beach or elsewhere. Schools and colleges not too far away. My eldest isn't coming out with us, she may later, she's staying in Bath with her father my ex. So the children are alot easier to please now. Sporty, and for the boys would be looking at a local rugby club, and hopefully meet people out of work his and mine. My eldest daughter loves Art and is exceptional so would want to continue that. My youngest girl is sporty, bendy and beautiful and we are constantly warding of boys, bees and honey, her other occupation is swimming.
King Eddies by big i mean the birth rate and the high risk stuff they are dealing with. Just a thought it might be a bit much when I have all the settling to do as well, and Mercy appears alot less intense for a few years, can always change later.

Will look at where you suggested, back to packing for a week camping in Dorset, 10 kids and 4 adults and hopefully enough beer to numb it all xxx

Go to REIWA and start searching for houses in various suburbs to get a feel of prices in the various suburbs. The popular, trendy and upmarket areas like Subiaco are not cheap places to rent.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Aug 14th 2009 at 1:34 am.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Subiaco is extremely expensive, one of the most expensive suburbs in Perth.

We live on the Inglewood/Yokine border, which is literally 5 minutes from Mt Lawley and is a smashing place. Right next to a large leisure centre, massive green spaces and only 15-20 min drive to the beach and 10 mins to the centre of Perth.

We have friends who live in Mt Lawley and we can walk to theirs in around 20-30 mins.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Thankyou everyone, I guess if i take the Mercy job we get a months accomodation it would be spent hunting around the areas, but due to the vastness I want to narrow it down. And get the kids into schools and not have to move them around. xx