Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - Private Health Insurance for Temporary Residents

Help - Private Health Insurance for Temporary Residents

Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Private Health Insurance for Temporary Residents

I wonder if anyone can help. I came over to Perth on a Prospective Spouse Provisional Visa for Nine Months. I wasn't entitled to any reciprical Medicare Cover, which I have had before under ETAs, Business ETAs and a Working Holiday Visa, which I thought was a bit odd, but hey, it was only until my husband and I got married and then not only would we be able to get Medicare but we can get Private Health Cover too. After we were married I was issued with a 2 Year Temporary Residency Visa, which was fine, and I got my Medicare card again, which was good too, but we've just applied for Private Health Cover with HBF and been told that I can't be covered under the same policy as my husband, I will have to take out a seperate Overseas Visitor's Policy which will cost $2,500 in addition to my husbands policy of $950!!!!!

My husband and I would like to start a family next year, and I have been told I need my wisdom teeth removed within the next 12 - 24 months, so we thought now would be a good time to start, taking into consideration the waiver periods.

If it can't be done any other way, then I don't mind, I'll go through the Public Health System, dispite the horror stories I've heard about King Edward.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recommend an Insurance Company that will cover me under standard terms? Or, Does anyone have any reassuring statements about good treatment in any of the Perth Hospitals, especially for Maternity Care.

Thanks,

Susette
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Private Health Insurance for Temporary Residents

Originally posted by susette
I wonder if anyone can help. I came over to Perth on a Prospective Spouse Provisional Visa for Nine Months. I wasn't entitled to any reciprical Medicare Cover, which I have had before under ETAs, Business ETAs and a Working Holiday Visa, which I thought was a bit odd, but hey, it was only until my husband and I got married and then not only would we be able to get Medicare but we can get Private Health Cover too. After we were married I was issued with a 2 Year Temporary Residency Visa, which was fine, and I got my Medicare card again, which was good too, but we've just applied for Private Health Cover with HBF and been told that I can't be covered under the same policy as my husband, I will have to take out a seperate Overseas Visitor's Policy which will cost $2,500 in addition to my husbands policy of $950!!!!!

My husband and I would like to start a family next year, and I have been told I need my wisdom teeth removed within the next 12 - 24 months, so we thought now would be a good time to start, taking into consideration the waiver periods.

If it can't be done any other way, then I don't mind, I'll go through the Public Health System, dispite the horror stories I've heard about King Edward.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recommend an Insurance Company that will cover me under standard terms? Or, Does anyone have any reassuring statements about good treatment in any of the Perth Hospitals, especially for Maternity Care.

Thanks,

Susette

Few providers seem to write policies for temporary visas. One that does is Australian Unity (look at their web site). We were quoted $1900 for the two of us last year.
Old May 5th 2004, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Roger,

I've had a look into Australian Unity, and I think I'll be going with them, they've quoted $1400, which is a big difference from $2,500.

That's a weight off my mind!

Susette