Reload this Page >

Help on Primary Schools in Wynnum, Brisbane

Help on Primary Schools in Wynnum, Brisbane

Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:46 am
Just Joined

OzzieDreamers is on a distinguished road
Default Help on Primary Schools in Wynnum, Brisbane

Hi All

Having found a great rental in Wynnum West we are now looking at primary schools.

We've heard some less than positive comments about Wynnum Central and are keen to steer clear of it.

We've looked at Guardian Angels which looks great, but neither us nor our children are religious (don't know if this would be a problem)

Has anyone any experience or comments of:

Wynnum West Primary

Wondal Heights Primary

Hemmant Primary

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

OzzieDreamers
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on Primary Schools in Wynnum, Brisbane

Originally Posted by OzzieDreamers
Hi All

Having found a great rental in Wynnum West we are now looking at primary schools.

We've heard some less than positive comments about Wynnum Central and are keen to steer clear of it.

We've looked at Guardian Angels which looks great, but neither us nor our children are religious (don't know if this would be a problem)

Wynnum West Primary

Wondal Heights Primary

Hemmant Primary

Cheers

OzzieDreamers
From memory Wondall Rd primary has a catchment area, but you'd be best checking with the school to confirm that & the boundaries of it.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:09 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieDreamers
Hi All

Wynnum West Primary

Wondal Heights Primary

Hemmant Primary

Cheers

OzzieDreamers

Hi,

We looked at Wynnum Central and liked the idea of small numbers. I think the intake is about 150 students. We quite liked the feel of the school. Wynnum West is a bigger school. This is somewhere we didn't look around as it was a bit out of the way. Found Wondall Heights ok but there's a few changes happening that didn't suit us. No dealings with Hemmant Primary. We felt it was best to go around them and get the feel. I know that this may mean the kids won't start at the beginning of term but might be better in the long run.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

was wondering if anyone can comment further on this topic? I am also renting in Wynnum and would appreciate ANY feedback from anyone regarding these schools.....

its always great hearing it from you guys...

thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:31 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
Hi everyone,

was wondering if anyone can comment further on this topic? I am also renting in Wynnum and would appreciate ANY feedback from anyone regarding these schools.....

its always great hearing it from you guys...

thanks
Obiwan, it might be best off checking with the school as all schools are to have a catchment area, but Im not sure if it's been brought in yet or if it's still coming. The best way would be to call the school & tell them where you live & ask if you are within their catchment area, no use looking at any schools without knowing that first.

As for private schools Guardian Angels has a waiting list Im pretty sure & is Catholic as is John Vianney's in Wynnum. I don't have children that go to Guardian Angels but I have a friend who does & to be honest from some of the things she's told me I wouldnt be happy to send my kids there, but many people seem to love it & have no problems.

Same friend enrolled her kids in Wynnum Central primary when they got here & they attended one day of school before being pulled out. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 23rd 2007 at 3:35 am. Reason: to clarify which school I was talking about
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mrs Dagboy,

will check on that catchment thing. I appreciate the feedback on the schools you mentioned especially wynnum central....must have been a very good reason to pull them out after just 1 day....

i'm basically looking for a nice catholic school for my 7 and 5 year old.....my kids are more on the quiet, bookish type.....
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Thanks Mrs Dagboy,

will check on that catchment thing. I appreciate the feedback on the schools you mentioned especially wynnum central....must have been a very good reason to pull them out after just 1 day....

i'm basically looking for a nice catholic school for my 7 and 5 year old.....my kids are more on the quiet, bookish type.....
Sorry I didnt realise you were loking for a private catholic school. If you want catholic I'd go John Vianney's first, Guardian Angels second choice, if they were both boys you could put their name down at Iona, but I don't think you've got much chance of getting in there to be honest.

If you are happy to go state you'll need to check the catchment thing, but I could suggest a couple of good ones in the area if it's not in force yet.

If I think of anything more I'll let you know .
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough

Hi
Both my children are at Guardian Angels, after moving here from the uk 2 yrs ago, they are 8 and 5, we are not catholic but wanted a catholic school as they had been in one in the uk, we have not had any problems with the school, teachers, or parents. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy View Post
Sorry I didnt realise you were loking for a private catholic school. If you want catholic I'd go John Vianney's first, Guardian Angels second choice, if they were both boys you could put their name down at Iona, but I don't think you've got much chance of getting in there to be honest.

If you are happy to go state you'll need to check the catchment thing, but I could suggest a couple of good ones in the area if it's not in force yet.

Thanks for bringing up John Vianney, will check it out.......is it very hard to enter Iona? how many years does it take assuming i have a 6 yr old boy...is it like one of those hard-to-enter Moreton schools?

I would appreciate it as well if you can list the state schools you would recommend? i am the type who will relocate if i think the state school is a good one...

cheers
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyaldy View Post
Hi
Both my children are at Guardian Angels, after moving here from the uk 2 yrs ago, they are 8 and 5, we are not catholic but wanted a catholic school as they had been in one in the uk, we have not had any problems with the school, teachers, or parents. Hope this helps.
thanks for the feedback, yes my 6 yr old boy comes from a catholic school as well and my 4 yr old girl will do the same, would you mind posting how much you end up paying for both of them per year? tuition/uniforms/books/misc.?

my son is on the bookish side, not really into sports.

thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
for both my childen i pay about $1800 per yer for fees, books cost about $260 per year for both, uniforms about $150 each per year, piano is $22 per week, but this is optional.
hope this helps.

thanks for the feedback, yes my 6 yr old boy comes from a catholic school as well and my 4 yr old girl will do the same, would you mind posting how much you end up paying for both of them per year? tuition/uniforms/books/misc.?

my son is on the bookish side, not really into sports.

thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy View Post
If you want catholic I'd go John Vianney's first,

I forgot to ask, did your kids go to St. John Vianney?

thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

hi
no they go to Guardian Angels, but i think St. John Vianney is roughly the same price,
thanks
I forgot to ask, did your kids go to St. John Vianney?

thanks!