Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please? Travel insurance for aged parents

Help please? Travel insurance for aged parents

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help please? Travel insurance for aged parents

Hi
Hope someone can help as there must be loads of us who have elderly parents come to Australia to stay for extended holidays.
My mother, aged 70 and only has a bit of arthritis, is independent, will be coming from UK for up to 6 months, but we have to get medical insurance in order to get the 676 tourist visa. I've searched online, but most policies stop at 65 for long stays and will only insure 70+ for up to 90 days and are extortionate
Has anyone found any suitable policies?
Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help please? Travel insurance for aged parents

Originally Posted by kitty4
Hi
Hope someone can help as there must be loads of us who have elderly parents come to Australia to stay for extended holidays.
My mother, aged 70 and only has a bit of arthritis, is independent, will be coming from UK for up to 6 months, but we have to get medical insurance in order to get the 676 tourist visa. I've searched online, but most policies stop at 65 for long stays and will only insure 70+ for up to 90 days and are extortionate
Thanks
i guess you have tried age concern and saga in the UK?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:25 pm
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

hi try

http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/ov...avel-insurance.

www.traveldirect.co.uk

shop around its worth it but in my experience 70 and older are a high risk to insurance companies and unfortunately the premium is high

good luck
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i guess you have tried age concern and saga in the UK?
Yes, but they only cover shorter stays from what I could see.
I'll have another look though.
Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
hi try

http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/ov...avel-insurance.

www.traveldirect.co.uk

shop around its worth it but in my experience 70 and older are a high risk to insurance companies and unfortunately the premium is high

good luck
Thanks.
No luck with the first one - they don't insure over 65's and their link to a site that does only does it for up to 45 days. Couldn't get onto the other site.
Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about getting Annual insurance instead of single trip? I know my Great Aunt uses it as she is 70+.

These are quite reasonable - http://www.insureandgo.com/ I used them for my Mum when she was really ill and we took her on holiday.

Check out the small print though, just in case there are some clauses in there about how far she can travel or how long each single holiday should be.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:36 pm
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.
No luck with the first one - they don't insure over 65's and their link to a site that does only does it for up to 45 days. Couldn't get onto the other site.
Cheers
whoops its www.directtravel.co.uk
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you thought about getting Annual insurance instead of single trip? I know my Great Aunt uses it as she is 70+.

These are quite reasonable - http://www.insureandgo.com/ I used them for my Mum when she was really ill and we took her on holiday.

Check out the small print though, just in case there are some clauses in there about how far she can travel or how long each single holiday should be.
Thanks Wendy, but usual conditions. Will only insure over 65's for up to 31 days. Annual insurance is for multiple trips, each lasting only up to 90 days.
Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
Still can't get that site. Maybe it's their server.
Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Help please? Travel insurance for aged parents

Hi
Thanks
Had the same problem for my 75 year old mum, EVENTUALLY got cover from the AA at a great price, although I can't remember if there was a limit on the days, we got the full cover for the 3months that my mum will be here no problems, might be worth a look though.

All the best.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
HI the quotes my parents got where extortionate.
Anyway 1st visit they paid, but the 2nd they did not take any, its up to you if you want to pay those bloody stupid prices.
Mum and dad came last time for 3 months and did not have travel ins, they dont bring lots of luggage [clothes] as they are staying with us and you can wash things through. They dont have a lot of valuables, and we have a recprical agreement with medicare here. Mum was ill while here , went into hospital and was given 5 star treatment, at no cost.
They decided if one of them passed away, they would get cremated and go home in hand luggage [it became a bit of a joke] I said if they have a seat spare then they can take my youngest with them.
hope this helps
Denise
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

Try nationwide building society www.nationwide.co.uk they will do over 70's and they don't seem to have a time limit either. It's not exactly cheap though, just did a quick quote and it comes out at about £500
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few more for you to try:

http://www.portwood.co.uk/travel-insurance/index.htm

http://www.travelinsuranceforseniors...people-over-70

http://www.deltainsurance.co.uk/trav...r-65-70-79.htm
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:11 am
Just Joined

jonallcock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks
Hi,

Try this website:
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/

my mum is 76 and was quoted between 700 an 1500 GBP for 3 months, we have now got it thru the bmc for 250 GBP

Jon
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Does your Mum have a Visa card? My parents used to get theirs through that or Lloyds Bank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.