Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Please!! suggestions of QLD suburbs

Help Please!! suggestions of QLD suburbs

Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:37 am
Just Joined

cmwarner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Please!! suggestions of QLD suburbs

Hi - my husband and i moved to Adelaide about 6 years ago from UK as i had some family here and we are wanting to move up to QLD early next year, he is an electrician and we have 2 small children.
I am desperately in need of some advice on suburbs to look at renting/buying in. One of our children is 3 so we dont have much time to look around before we will need to get him into a school so would love a starting point of some family friendly affordable suburbs.
We are thinking Brisbane area - not the city itself but surrounding suburbs as we think there would be good work prospects for him but would love to hear if anyone thinks gold coast or sunshine coast would be a better option - we just want to get out of adelaide!!!

thanks
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help Please!! suggestions of QLD suburbs

I'll summarise the way this thread usually goes:

1) A lot depends on your budget
2) A lot depend on your work requirements
3) Lots of people like Bayside (which is good for family) (Rudi will tell you all about how wonderful life is)
4) Lots of people like NW (which is good for family) (I will tell you all about how wonderful life is)
5) Some people like new housing so like NorthLakes/ForestLake/Springfield despite their reputations and long commutes..
6) Some people hate 'designed' estates so hate the above suburbs (and others like them) and favour smaller older houses in established areas.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmwarner
Hi - my husband and i moved to Adelaide about 6 years ago from UK as i had some family here and we are wanting to move up to QLD early next year, he is an electrician and we have 2 small children.
I am desperately in need of some advice on suburbs to look at renting/buying in. One of our children is 3 so we dont have much time to look around before we will need to get him into a school so would love a starting point of some family friendly affordable suburbs.
We are thinking Brisbane area - not the city itself but surrounding suburbs as we think there would be good work prospects for him but would love to hear if anyone thinks gold coast or sunshine coast would be a better option - we just want to get out of adelaide!!!

thanks
Regarding the Sunshine Coast, I've come to think of it as a large retirement village . . . retired people don't like spending money . . . people not spending money impacts on all sectors of the economy resulting in poorer job prospects and wages compared to Brisbane.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:07 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
tell us the following things and we'll be able to help out you.

1) rough estimate of income in one year. Before tax. Both working or just husband?
2) what kind of school are you looking for? private or not ?
3) what kind of house are you looking for? new, old, hi or lowset, big garden or small etc etc...
4) rough estimate of the amount of $$$ you'll have for a deposit.

With the above info, people on BE will be able to suggest a few places for you... and it will be far easier for us to narrow down the suburbs you should be looking at.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:27 am
Just Joined

cmwarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much!! i am overwhelmed at where to start looking so this will be a great help.

1) Currently i am on mat leave but dont plan on working until i could find childcare etc so just on husbands income would be about $70,000

2)Public schooling

3) Reg the house would ideally need min 3 beds and a garden, we have a rottweiler so he needs a decent back garden

4)Looking to spend about $400,000 on house - could get about $100,000 deposit

Thanks again this advice is priceless!!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:40 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

For a purely statistical viewpoint of schools there are a few places to look:

This gives you a look at the results of all highschools. highschool may seem a long way off - but if you're thinking ong term then you might want to be in an area with good publis highschools.
http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/...utcomes_09.pdf

(Look at the percentage of students with OP1-5 for the schools with high academic performers)

Also worth a look is MySchool website - but as with all these things you have to bear in mind a lot of the statistical anomolies - (e.g. a school that has a support unit for special needs kids will look like a lower performer than one who doesnt - regardless of how well they support the 'regular' student body)

Brisbanes best performing public highschools over the last few years have frequently included (but not limited to)

Brisbane State High
Kenmore
Indooroopilly
Kelvin Grove
The Gap

Finding somewhere in your budget in the catchments of these schools may not be easy - but the outer reaches of Kenmore or The Gap should be doable.

Some Bayside schools may also be decent performers - and you'd probably find stuff in your budget there.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

3) Lots of people like Bayside (which is good for family) (Rudi will tell you all about how wonderful life is)
4) Lots of people like NW (which is good for family) (I will tell you all about how wonderful life is)
5) Some people like new housing so like NorthLakes/ForestLake/Springfield despite their reputations and long commutes..
6) Some people hate 'designed' estates so hate the above suburbs (and others like them) and favour smaller older houses in established areas.

Yep - I do love the Bayside!!

I think it really does depend on what you like. I just love being about to drive down to my house and being able to look out over the bay and see the water. However, I do think in terms of school, unless you are prepared to pay for private (which I think based on the salary you have quoted is not going to be a realistic option) the state school here are not as good as the areas that Dad Again will tell you about. They are not really bad here or anything, but just not to the standards of some of the ones out towards the Gap.

You would certainly find a nice house for that budget. Definitely 3 bedrooms, maybe 4. Perhaps Alexandra Hills or Capalaba would be a good place to look. Victoria Point and Redland Bay would also be a good option, but they are a little bit further out.......however, that said, they have good access to both the Gold Coast and Brisbane, so might suit you well.

Good luck!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:58 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much!! i am overwhelmed at where to start looking so this will be a great help.

1) Currently i am on mat leave but dont plan on working until i could find childcare etc so just on husbands income would be about $70,000

2)Public schooling

3) Reg the house would ideally need min 3 beds and a garden, we have a rottweiler so he needs a decent back garden

4)Looking to spend about $400,000 on house - could get about $100,000 deposit

Thanks again this advice is priceless!!
It's ages since I thought of a "garden"

You'll be wanting a yard or two, a paddock, a creek

A 'kin big shed is where it is at!

You'll get more for your money and a few acres if you think Southside ... get a few k's outside of Beenleigh and it's not all bogans and biff
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's ages since I thought of a "garden"

You'll be wanting a yard or two, a paddock, a creek

A 'kin big shed is where it is at!

You'll get more for your money and a few acres if you think Southside ... get a few k's outside of Beenleigh and it's not all bogans and biff
You want expat neighbours? Why?

To the OP, where will work be? Actually in Brisbane CBD or somewhere else?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:55 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You want expat neighbours? Why?

To the OP, where will work be? Actually in Brisbane CBD or somewhere else?
Already got one actually, a Geordie ... you would never know from his accent though ...

You have a fair point about work location, I am giving serious thoughts to getting out of the hustle and bustle of Brisbane*.

* 9am to 5:30pm weekdays only.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

sticky!!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spartacus
Regarding the Sunshine Coast, I've come to think of it as a large retirement village . . . retired people don't like spending money . . . people not spending money impacts on all sectors of the economy resulting in poorer job prospects and wages compared to Brisbane.

mmm interesting viewpoint sparty I am sure Ems,KP and I will have fun debating that one before bingo tomorrow
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
mmm interesting viewpoint sparty I am sure Ems,KP and I will have fun debating that one before bingo tomorrow
Don't forget your incontenance pants . . . we don't want any more accidents . . .
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I have to chuckle at this one - living on the Sunny Coast, I myself feel semi-bladdy retired and Im only in my 40s lol. I love the coast and wouldnt live anywhere else. jobwise...depending on what you do, it can be hard.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Rudi,

would you be able to recommend any primary schools in Wynnum or Manly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.