Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please getting a birth cert for baby born in Australia

Help please getting a birth cert for baby born in Australia

Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:24 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Help please getting a birth cert for baby born in Australia

I was wondering if any one knows how long it takes to get a birth cert in Australia when your baby is born there Im being induced on Monday due to complications with my pregnancy but we have to get the baby passport and medical sorted asap so if any one knows that would be great
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please getting a birth cert for baby born in Australia

Originally Posted by Baby75
I was wondering if any one knows how long it takes to get a birth cert in Australia when your baby is born there Im being induced on Monday due to complications with my pregnancy but we have to get the baby passport and medical sorted asap so if any one knows that would be great
Call these guys:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
1300 366 430
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It normally takes a few weeks from sending your completed form to getting the birth certificates. However if you have travel plans, they can process your application really quickly, i.e. certificate can be sent out the day they receive your completed application.

Are you planning on travelling very soon after giving birth, even with complications with your pregnancy?

If your are only concerned about getting the baby registered for medicare, etc, there's really no worry, doctors and hospitals are pretty good with newborns, even without the birth certificate. If there's anything you need to pay upfront for the baby, you'll be reimbursed as soon as the baby's added to your medicare card.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:51 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It normally takes a few weeks from sending your completed form to getting the birth certificates. However if you have travel plans, they can process your application really quickly, i.e. certificate can be sent out the day they receive your completed application.

Are you planning on travelling very soon after giving birth, even with complications with your pregnancy?

If your are only concerned about getting the baby registered for medicare, etc, there's really no worry, doctors and hospitals are pretty good with newborns, even without the birth certificate. If there's anything you need to pay upfront for the baby, you'll be reimbursed as soon as the baby's added to your medicare card.

Mrs JTL
problems are with me not the baby thankfully baby is doing great but yep we need to be leaving Australia so we can get our PR visa before ETA visa expires so we need birth cert passport and a medical with in 4 weeks of having the baby weeks of having the baby good to know we can get is fairly quick thank you
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been waiting 6 weeks now. I had better chase it up.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by IvanM
We have been waiting 6 weeks now. I had better chase it up.
wow give them a ring alright
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling (though I am not 100% sure) that if you or I guess the father go into the registry in person they may be able to speed up the process. Definitely give them a call.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

problems are with me not the baby thankfully baby is doing great but yep we need to be leaving Australia so we can get our PR visa before ETA visa expires so we need birth cert passport and a medical with in 4 weeks of having the baby weeks of having the baby good to know we can get is fairly quick thank you
Good luck with it all - it seems like you've got lots to do in a very short period of time!

I thought we were mad having a baby and moving house at the same time...

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all - it seems like you've got lots to do in a very short period of time!

Mrs JTL
You were
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:21 am

Mrs JTL

Thanks we will get there in the end I hope LOL

why do we do these things to ourselves we willbe moving middle of otober but baby will be a good couple of weeks then
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:01 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

wow give them a ring alright
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

In NSW there is a 7 week wait for Birth Certificates at the moment.