Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Please - Australian Quiz Questions

Wikiposts

Help Please - Australian Quiz Questions

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Please - Australian Quiz Questions

My hubby and I have started going to a pub for the quiz night. We have lots of fun and do happen to know a fair bit. But we are major league crap when it comes to Aus questions.

We need help, can anyone recommend a book on Aus that will have information like Prime Minsters, States and their emblems like birds and flowers. Highest point, lowest point - a sort of pommie guide to Aus facts. Hubby is studying the aussie sport info (well that is what he says he is doing when reading the paper?).

So far we fall about with questions such as The most trees are in which State? Who was the Gosvenor of NSW during the rum rebellion? What bird is the emblem of the NT. What is the most sourtherly point, westerly, northerly etc...

I know I know I can get all these in different books but we sort of need a crash course of Aussie basic facts - something to read on the bog maybe!

Cheers for any help
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please - Australian Quiz Questions

Originally Posted by Sandra

I know I know I can get all these in different books but we sort of need a crash course of Aussie basic facts - something to read on the bog maybe!

Cheers for any help

Don't know about a book but you can do what my other half does and buy loads and loads of Carlton Draught and read all the bottletops!! I swear he gets half his knowledge from them
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:50 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

My hubby and I have started going to a pub for the quiz night. We have lots of fun and do happen to know a fair bit. But we are major league crap when it comes to Aus questions.

We need help, can anyone recommend a book on Aus that will have information like Prime Minsters, States and their emblems like birds and flowers. Highest point, lowest point - a sort of pommie guide to Aus facts. Hubby is studying the aussie sport info (well that is what he says he is doing when reading the paper?).

So far we fall about with questions such as The most trees are in which State? Who was the Gosvenor of NSW during the rum rebellion? What bird is the emblem of the NT. What is the most sourtherly point, westerly, northerly etc...

Cheers for any help
I sometimes catch the Oz 'Who wants to be a millionnaire?" and think I'd struggle to get past $1000 with some of the Oz specific Qs. It's often the type of knowledge that you gain through spending a significant part of your life in the country, not the sort of questions that they write books about.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has such a book.
Either that or I'd better switch to cartons of Carlton.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Cheers for any help
There is an Atlas type book on the Primary School book list, up here in QLD, that has just about all that info all in the one place.

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

There is a penguin book stuffed full of facts & figures on Australia. I've seen it in Angus & Robertson but can't remember the title - sorry! Thought about getting it for the kids as background, but haven't done yet. It wasn't too pricey either $10-12ish.

Loopy
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:00 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Cheers for any help
Dont know about a book but this website is pretty good for facts about Australia and also each state. also has some other links in there that are pretty good too http://www.about-australia.com/facts.htm

Happy reading

Also did a google and found this, but dont know how good it is cos the firewall at work blocks it. Dont they know this is my lunch break http://www.freequizzes.co.uk/acatalo...y_quizzes.html
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Think this is the one, & cheaper than I thought

The Little Book of Australia

Author: Anon other titles

What was the name of Australia's first Prime Minister?
How do you make a swagman's damper?

Who was Sydney named after?

This little book is filled with big facts about Australia. Whether you're visiting our fair shores or you're a local bloke or sheila, test your knowledge of our beautiful country, and even learn something new!

RRP: $6.95
ISBN: 0143003275
Media: Paperback
Audience: Adult
Pages: 160
Format: LBK (Little Bks 95x85mm)
Series: Pba Royalty Free
Imprint: Penguin
Publisher: Penguin Aus.
Origin: Australia
Original Date
of Publication: October 2004

Loopy
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:09 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Cheers for any help
not sure if there is one book that would cover everything, I can't think of any book which would cover everything in all those subjects Just a few thoughts:

Have you tried the Guinness book of records here, the ones they sell here are the Aus version and have a few more records about Aus in it.

Found this on the net , what the book is like I don't know http://www.hi.com.au/aus1901/

also this one ( again I don't know if it's any good)
http://books.buyaustralian.com/featu...8333483&db=au#

The Australian book of Records

ISBN: 0958333483
Format: Paperback
Pages: 264
Author: Smith, Katherine Joyce
Imprint: Herron Books
Publisher: Herron Books
Published: 27/02/1997

Price$5.45

I don't think I've ever seen one book that's covers every subject from politics, geography, nature, fish, animals , records etc etc

Maybe there is a pub quiz book out there on the "black market"

maybe, a trip to the library for a good look before buying anything maybe the best bet.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all

excellent ideas, have just phoned hubby to tell him to try the library for a couple of these suggestions. I will check out the net.

Maybe in a few weeks we might do alright.

There is only the two of us as a team so if any Sydneyites want to join us we go on a Thursday night in Pymble.