Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please on Age Limits

Help please on Age Limits

Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:57 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please on Age Limits

Hi can anyone give me a link or advise on legal age limits for things in Oz,, eg: licence for a scooter, what age for learning to drive, etc...my son who's 10 (going on 16 in his head) wants to know, i think its purely because hes excited about the move and knows the age limits here in the UK for most things... But obviously hes not too keen on the idea of going to school until hes 17 when he can leave at 16 here in the Uk.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help please on Age Limits

Legal age to hold a learner licence in NSW is 16.

Have a look here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ex.html?llid=1
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:47 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi can anyone give me a link or advise on legal age limits for things in Oz,, eg: licence for a scooter, what age for learning to drive, etc...my son who's 10 (going on 16 in his head) wants to know, i think its purely because hes excited about the move and knows the age limits here in the UK for most things... But obviously hes not too keen on the idea of going to school until hes 17 when he can leave at 16 here in the Uk.

Many thanks in advance.
You need to say what state you are looking at.

Legal age to leave school is 15 in NSW! Incredibly stupid - yes I know I have one who just did it and quotes me the law! McDonalds check out chick - oh my they know so much at 15.

16 to hold learners permit 17 to drive alone if passed test NSW.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:29 pm

Hi, sorry we are moving to QLD, Brisbaine area...

Thank you Sam
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:42 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...Driver_licence

Legal age for voting and drinking on licenced premises (with photo ID) is 18.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:32 pm

Thank you for that,, also do you know what age they can start a little job,, like a paper round or milk round, so he can earn extra pocket money.. not sure if you have little jobs like that over there because of the size of the area.
Thank you in advance,, Sam
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:44 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that,, also do you know what age they can start a little job,, like a paper round or milk round, so he can earn extra pocket money.. not sure if you have little jobs like that over there because of the size of the area.
Thank you in advance,, Sam
Nowadays, the newsagent usually does his own deliveries due to child labour restrictions. Gone are the days of the paperboy on his bike. Milk is sold 99.9% of the time in stores, with a small percentage of ownerdrivers delivering to houses.

Laws now regulate the number of hours, time of day etc children can work. For example: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/industria...hild/index.htm
Other states would most likely have similar regulations.