Wikiposts

HELP PLEASE

Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:28 am
Just Joined

carol h 79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face HELP PLEASE

hi evryone me and my husband are thinking of emergrating to australia hopefully in 212 because we felt that would be the right time to get evrything sorted and its just before our doughter starts secondry school and so we can get her settled in a school overthere but i would like to know what the job oppurtunities out there for teaching assistents are like and would there be much work for me out there we are thinking of moving to sydney or around that area my parents are comming with us they are both in there 60 so any info on the type of visa they would need would be gratefull
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP PLEASE

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the forum.

My own personal opinion but i suspect what you ask is a little too far reaching. People will be able to tell you what the environment is like now - but that would have no bearing on what it will be like in 2012. your job sounds like a standard job that is available in all developed countries so my advice is decide on what you want out of life, what you want for the future, do you see Australia as a better future etc. These are the questions rather than whether you'd be able to find work in three years. In my experience (limited) people will always find work (under normal economic circumstances) if they are good at their job. I wouldn't worry about finding a teaching assistant job - more about whether the lifestyle and opportunities for you and your family are best over in Oz or here in Britain.

Just my two pennies worth.

Best of luck.

James
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

As for your parents. They would have to wait till you were permanent residents for two years before they could apply for parents visa. They could apply for retirement visa - but this costs a small (or not so small) fortune.

Parents visa - you would have to constitute at least 50% of their children as this is the minimum residing in Australia to be able to apply for a parents visa. There are two types - parents visa - costs very little and is about a 12 year waiting list. Contributory parent visa costs AUD$33k per person and is granted in approx 12 - 18 months.

There may be other options - tourist visa for up to 12 months - maybe options for bridging visa's etc - not sure how likely these are etc?

It's quite a mine field with visa options and if you are all certain of going to Oz i'd say speak to a migration agent for an initial consultation. Can clear the options up quite a bit and are either free or don't cost a lot at all.

Regards

James
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carol,

I agree with James. But if you have already made up your minds, and you are just unsure as to where you want to settle, then it will be useful to make sure first that you would qualify for a visa, and what visa best suits your requirements.

For example, some people are unable to meet the threshold requirement of 120 points and therefore have to rely on, say, a State or Territory sponsorship. This means that only parts of Australia become available options at the outset.

Australia is HUGE. I know I am stating the obvious, but if you haven't lived there, you really cannot imagine the size. That means that people tend to settle in one State/Territory and rarely leave. So it is a very good idea to narrow down your options to the States/Territories that you actually want to live in and that you would be able to obtain a visa for.

Also, I can only repeat what James said in terms of future plans: Australian migration rules do change from time to time, and there is no guarantee that, if you begin the application process in 2012, you will be having to meet the same criteria that apply today.

(But maybe you meant that you want to start the application process now so that you are ready to leave for Australia in 2012?).

Anyway, I just thought I'd add a few more comments, just so you have even more to think about

Cheers,
Veronika
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:24 am
Just Joined

carol h 79 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thank you both for your help we have passed the points systam and you were right veronika i just stated 212 as a time that we are hopeing to be settled down for as that time is when our doughter will be starting secondry school and we want her settled so she can start secondry school outthere my father has visited the country a number of times as we have family out there and he follows the rugby out there so he is familier with the country and he and my husband are planning a trip out there nxt yeare my mum and dad are looking into the retirement visa (thank you james for that help) and my basic worry was that i had saw alot of web sites for teaching opportunities but saw veary little for TAs
but i will keep looking and were allso looking at diffrent agancys for help thank you bothe for your help carolx
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would suggest starting a new thread and asking about teaching assistant jobs (in the title so everyone can see it).

I've heard they can be difficult to come by, if you do a search on here you'll get more info as it's been discussed before. I don't have time to do it right now but if I get a chance later today I'll try and post some links for you.

Also, 2012 is a long way away, no one can tell you what it will be like then.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:14 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It is just possible that for teaching assistant roles there may be an expectation of good use of spelling, capitalisation, grammar and punctuation.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:34 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

They do prefer to hire people with some sort of certificate or training as a teachers aide. So how easy it is to find a job depends on how qualified you are.

http://education.qld.gov.au/staff/de...ide/index.html