Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!! please............

HELP!!!! please............

Old Aug 16th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to all
Unhappy HELP!!!! please............

Hi All

I wonder if anyone out there has been through the same experiences as we are facing at the moment. In the Application for General Skilled Migration to Australia form (question 18) it asks "Will your spouse be migrating with you?" then it goes on to say "attach a note explaining why and saying whether your spouse intends to join you later". We also watched a video last night that showed a couple who immigrated to Australia, the husband "validated" his visa with a visit and returned to UK to work in the Army.

My husband is in the RAF at the moment and we were hoping to immigrate and him to validate his visa and join us when he was discharged. He rang a few agents today making enquiries and was told they weren't sure if this could be done.

Has anyone been through or knows of anyone who has been through the same............your comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2003, 10:23 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HELP!!!! please............

Originally posted by lisa and greg
Hi All

I wonder if anyone out there has been through the same experiences as we are facing at the moment. In the Application for General Skilled Migration to Australia form (question 18) it asks "Will your spouse be migrating with you?" then it goes on to say "attach a note explaining why and saying whether your spouse intends to join you later". We also watched a video last night that showed a couple who immigrated to Australia, the husband "validated" his visa with a visit and returned to UK to work in the Army.

My husband is in the RAF at the moment and we were hoping to immigrate and him to validate his visa and join us when he was discharged. He rang a few agents today making enquiries and was told they weren't sure if this could be done.

Has anyone been through or knows of anyone who has been through the same............your comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

As far as I am aware and I may be corrected are you both going out together to validate the visa? Whoever the main applicant is must enter Oz first even if together by being in front at passport control.

How long does your husband have left in the RAF? You have 5 years from the grant date to settle in Oz once you have validated the visa. After that you need a resident to return visa or if you have lived in Oz for 2 years you can apply for citizenship.

As far as that question on the application goes it is asking if you have a spouse who is not included on the form and why they are not applying for the visa. By the sounds of it you are both applying therefore the answer is Yes.

Hope this helps.

Jo

Melbourne bound Nov 2003
Old Aug 16th 2003, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to all

Hi Jo

Thanks for that. Yes we are intending on applying together and arriving in Oz together. Myself and children will stay and hubby will stay for about 6 weeks then return to the UK to continue in the RAF. He only has about 4 years from now, so when the application goes through he will probably have just over two years left.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Jo. Well done in getting in and have a blast
Old Aug 16th 2003, 11:31 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by lisa and greg
Hi Jo

Thanks for that. Yes we are intending on applying together and arriving in Oz together. Myself and children will stay and hubby will stay for about 6 weeks then return to the UK to continue in the RAF. He only has about 4 years from now, so when the application goes through he will probably have just over two years left.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Jo. Well done in getting in and have a blast

No probs. I think Greg emailed me about info on Vetassess and Office Manager. How far into the process are you? We could not believe how quickly ours came through. Expected a year and it took 6 months. I am just taking a break from packing stuff for shipment. So much to organise but it will be worth it.

Good luck with your application

Jo
Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo

We've only just started. We've been wanting to do if for years but waited until Greg only had a few years left to serve in the RAF. My mum and little sister live there, they've been there for 13 years now. So we have our sponsor and assurer sorted.

We also had a house built, so we will have somewhere to live when we finally get out there. Also Greg will have a pension from the RAF so we will be sorted with money.

It's our own fault for the panic we are having now, we didn't really understand things before, we never realised we had to pass the points test if we had a sponsor............well thats not exactly true, it does say in the immigration paperwork that we don't have to pass the points test but we do have to have an occupation on the list and a diploma..............I might be a bit niaive here but isn't that the same a passing the points test?

Good luck with you packing........wish it was us
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

John and Sandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa and Greg
I am also in the RAF and I am at the point where our visa is due to be issued - almost. I only have 2 more weeks to the end of my service. One of the last things that DIMIA have asked me to do was to provide a discharge certificate. As this wasn't forthcoming from the RAF when it was requested (6-8 weeks ago) we got a letter signed by the chief clerk and posted this off. My work friend who is also at the same stage of visa application but not due out of the RAF until Jan/Feb 2004 also tried this and has been told that his visa will not be issued until they recieve a proper discharge certificate and he is out of the forces totally. I have since recieved my certificate and have posted it of to Adelaide and am now awaiting the visa. If this info is useful then write back and I can give you more as there is a little more that might be helpful to you.
Cheers John and Sandra.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I know of somebody in the Army who has been asked to provide the same certificate of discharge. Spending 3-4 years apart will create problems, not only the physical seperation, but for tax. You may wish to check this out.......the Aus tax authorities could class residence in Aus for both of you - the family home - and want a part of the RAF income!

Steve
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve

Thanks for this. It's valuable information.

But at the moment we don't really mind that, as long as we can can get into Australia................it would be worth it.

cheers

Lisa