Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP from people who have migrated from the UK to OZ

HELP from people who have migrated from the UK to OZ

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP from people who have migrated from the UK to OZ

The Bloke is still stunned by the amount of vinegar I put on my chips - he had actually never bought vinegar before I arrived, and has never allowed it near HIS chips!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:37 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Bloke is still stunned by the amount of vinegar I put on my chips - he had actually never bought vinegar before I arrived, and has never allowed it near HIS chips!

If the whole room doesn't stink of it by the time I'm done, then I ain't happy
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I couldn't be bothered to join the 'why is australia behind' thread. But it is in my mind linked to this thread (or at least the way its been hijacked).

supermarkets don't stock so much variety because it probably isn't economically viable for the manufacturers to ship 'minority' products to this country when they only have 20m potential customers, as opposed to (I think) nearly 70m in the UK, not to mention the euro market just over the water. So its not so much that Aus is behind, more that things either do or don't exist.

As for the original post. Its very wide ranging.

Housing costs for example. You can buy the same house in 1 suburb of Sydney for well over 1m. In another it'll be closer to 400k. You can probably work out the reasons why.
All other cities are cheaper than Sydney, but all have their expensive enclaves.

Education - we have no problems with it yet.

work - if your occupation is listed in the on demand list then you'll be laughing. Otheriwise ... join the rest of us in the struggle
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 3:23 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mlbonner
If the whole room doesn't stink of it by the time I'm done, then I ain't happy

Ditto, I keep a bottle in my bag, sad I know but you never know when the urge to have some chips is gonna hit.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

Different people have different views on the supermarket choices, even in my household

My view is that the UK shops have a much better choice of food. Such a massive range of pre-prepared ready dinners etc., and the choice in Baked Beans (used to be one of my favourites) can't be beaten.

But my wife says the UK choice of fresh food is seriousy lacking compared to Australia. Now... as a person whose choice of cooking would be to throw something in the microwave, I reckon i'm right, but as my wife loves to cook from scratch (most of the time), and I just get to eat it I'll not complain, as, after all, it does taste better

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 7:09 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Different people have different views on the supermarket choices, even in my household

My view is that the UK shops have a much better choice of food. Such a massive range of pre-prepared ready dinners etc., and the choice in Baked Beans (used to be one of my favourites) can't be beaten.

But my wife says the UK choice of fresh food is seriousy lacking compared to Australia. Now... as a person whose choice of cooking would be to throw something in the microwave, I reckon i'm right, but as my wife loves to cook from scratch (most of the time), and I just get to eat it I'll not complain, as, after all, it does taste better
Baked bans and Pre-Prepared microwave dinners! is that what you Poms eat over there? no wonder your so unhealthy and crap at Sport. Aussie food is the best in the world, none of that Mad Cow Beef and Foot and Mouth diseased steaks. :scared: We really are deprived down here in OZ not having a variety of baked beans to choose from or pre-prepared microwave dinners, sounds like hospital food or the sort of food they give pensioners without any teeth in retirement homes.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 23rd 2004 at 7:12 am.

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 7:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Baked bans and Pre-Prepared microwave dinners! is that what you Poms eat over there? no wonder your so unhealthy and crap at Sport. Aussie food is the best in the world, none of that Mad Cow Beef and Foot and Mouth diseased steaks. :scared: We really are deprived down here in OZ not having a variety of baked beans to choose from or pre-prepared microwave dinners, sounds like hospital food or the sort of food they give pensioners without any teeth in retirement homes.
Sounds like someone who has been watchin too much ACA and Today Tonight. Are you a meat pie or a red rooter?
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:19 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Frozen lunches: be damned.

Healthy local food for local kids

Children cheer school dinners
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:30 am
ABCDiamond

I spoke too soon, or has someone been talking to my wife !!

She came home with a Frozen Fish in Parsley sauce dinner for me !!!!! and a fresh lobster for herself.... she says they cost about the same .... You will hear no more from me on the subject

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:37 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Don't understand the comments about bacon and ham as have already bought both the smoked/unsmoked varieties...I guess it depends on where you are. On a positive supermarket note ...we love the range and quality of fresh meat (without having to pay for an inch of fat all round the edge - they cut it off!) also the range of cheese.
On another note - how did this post become a post on supermarkets and food?
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:42 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
Weird how these threads evolve eh?

Incidentially I went to both Tesco's and Asda's at midnightish last night. Not much choice there, given the selves were all empty.

Going back to the original question. I suspect I'm repeating what someone has already told you but do searches on both this site and the Immigration forum and you'll turn up loads.

Re you question on education, they was a good thread a couple of weeks back claiming Oz education was fantastic under some UN survey. Try and search on education.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with it all.

Paul.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't understand the comments about bacon and ham as have already bought both the smoked/unsmoked varieties...I guess it depends on where you are. On a positive supermarket note ...we love the range and quality of fresh meat (without having to pay for an inch of fat all round the edge - they cut it off!) also the range of cheese.
You can get unsmoked in Tassie, and possibly in Victoria, but not in Qld - odd, and annoying if you don't like the smoked taste.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Its one of those subjects that people can talk passionately and endlessly about wherever you go. Usually ends in agreeing to disagree or just disagreeing.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:43 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

[QUOTE=Shellfish][QUOTE=wombat42]" Lack of choice in shops and supermarkets"
What can't you buy in OZ shops and supermarkets that you can get in the UK.
Loads! You get the basics in Aus but in the UK you get the extras like Bisto instant gravy and here you don't even get ordinary bisto gravy never mind instant.

Hi Shell
better late than never but Coles stock Bisto gravy, i bought some a couple of months ago fair enough its not the instant type but still its Bisto and tastes just has good mmmm...